Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sleazeball of the Day.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Sleazeball of the Day.

    Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly.
    Post Hill Press gets the (dis)honorable mention.

    https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ight-for-truth

    Nothing like murdering a person and then profiting from a book about how you got away with it and kept your job.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Hmm.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    50,164

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    That event was incredibly bad police work at every level. Such entrenched lawlessness shows a profoundly diseased polity.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    34,257

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Here I was thinking how wrong it is to write a book about being on the Chauvin jury and then you show me this. Vile creature.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    The issue I have with this is that just because a story is not one you agree with, does it mean that it shouldn’t be available to be heard?

    The same thing happened to Gerald Stanly in Canada. He wrote a book to explain his side after being exonerated, but no-one would distribute or publish it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    The issue I have with this is that just because a story is not one you agree with, does it mean that it shouldn’t be available to be heard?

    The same thing happened to Gerald Stanly in Canada. He wrote a book to explain his side after being exonerated, but no-one would distribute or publish it.
    I think the issue is more his profiting from it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I think the issue is more his profiting from it.
    Do you think it would sell well? I wonder.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Do you think it would sell well? I wonder.
    10 years ago I would've said no. Nowadays? It might very well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    10 years ago I would've said no. Nowadays? It might very well.
    I suppose so. The ambulance chaser mentality.

    That then raises the question as to whether that is a good enough reason not to distribute. He wasn’t convicted (rightly or wrongly) so it’s not profiting from crime. Is profit from insensitivity enough of a reason?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    I suppose so. The ambulance chaser mentality.

    That then raises the question as to whether that is a good enough reason not to distribute. He wasn’t convicted (rightly or wrongly) so it’s not profiting from crime. Is profit from insensitivity enough of a reason?
    Is getting away with shooting someone "insensitivity"? While I realize he was exonerated, I think a lot of people don't feel the trial was fair.

    That being said, I'd say publish it. If the publisher feels that strongly, they could publish it & donate their profits to an appropriate charity.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Gulf Islands B.C.
    Posts
    1,943

    Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Is getting away with shooting someone "insensitivity"? While I realize he was exonerated, I think a lot of people don't feel the trial was fair.

    That being said, I'd say publish it. If the publisher feels that strongly, they could publish it & donate their profits to an appropriate charity.
    I get it, which I why I compared it to the Gerald Stanley trial here, where the general public considers him guilty (I don’t though), and he continues to live under that shadow. Publishing his book would have been “insensitive” yes. I’m not sure what else to call it. I think trial and conviction by popular opinion can be a dangerous thing. Mob rule and all. If you have a justice system which isn’t trusted, then the system itself needs to be examined. However, sometimes unpopular decisions by juries are just.

    I have no idea what evidence was brought against him, what evidence was used by him. I don’t know if he’s guilty or not.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •