Thread: Sleazeball of the Day.

Default Sleazeball of the Day.

Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly.
    Post Hill Press gets the (dis)honorable mention.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ight-for-truth

Nothing like murdering a person and then profiting from a book about how you got away with it and kept your job.

Default Re: Sleazeball of the Day.

Hmm.

That event was incredibly bad police work at every level. Such entrenched lawlessness shows a profoundly diseased polity.

Here I was thinking how wrong it is to write a book about being on the Chauvin jury and then you show me this. Vile creature.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

The issue I have with this is that just because a story is not one you agree with, does it mean that it shouldn’t be available to be heard?

The same thing happened to Gerald Stanly in Canada. He wrote a book to explain his side after being exonerated, but no-one would distribute or publish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    The issue I have with this is that just because a story is not one you agree with, does it mean that it shouldn’t be available to be heard?

The same thing happened to Gerald Stanly in Canada. He wrote a book to explain his side after being exonerated, but no-one would distribute or publish it.
    I think the issue is more his profiting from it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I think the issue is more his profiting from it.
    Do you think it would sell well? I wonder.

Do you think it would sell well? I wonder.
    10 years ago I would've said no. Nowadays? It might very well.

10 years ago I would've said no. Nowadays? It might very well.
    I suppose so. The ambulance chaser mentality.

That then raises the question as to whether that is a good enough reason not to distribute. He wasn’t convicted (rightly or wrongly) so it’s not profiting from crime. Is profit from insensitivity enough of a reason?

I suppose so. The ambulance chaser mentality.

That then raises the question as to whether that is a good enough reason not to distribute. He wasn’t convicted (rightly or wrongly) so it’s not profiting from crime. Is profit from insensitivity enough of a reason?
    Is getting away with shooting someone "insensitivity"? While I realize he was exonerated, I think a lot of people don't feel the trial was fair.

That being said, I'd say publish it. If the publisher feels that strongly, they could publish it & donate their profits to an appropriate charity.

Is getting away with shooting someone "insensitivity"? While I realize he was exonerated, I think a lot of people don't feel the trial was fair.

That being said, I'd say publish it. If the publisher feels that strongly, they could publish it & donate their profits to an appropriate charity.
    I get it, which I why I compared it to the Gerald Stanley trial here, where the general public considers him guilty (I don’t though), and he continues to live under that shadow. Publishing his book would have been “insensitive” yes. I’m not sure what else to call it. I think trial and conviction by popular opinion can be a dangerous thing. Mob rule and all. If you have a justice system which isn’t trusted, then the system itself needs to be examined. However, sometimes unpopular decisions by juries are just.

I have no idea what evidence was brought against him, what evidence was used by him. I don’t know if he’s guilty or not.