Thread: AWD and F*****ní Tires

Default AWD and F*****ní Tires

Yeah... you know where this is going.

SWMBO picked up a 5/16 lag screw in the VW tire. (At least Iím assuming thatís what it is because I can slip a 1/2Ē socket on the washer head thatís protruding out from the tire.

This is the second puncture in this tire so it canít be repaired and due to tread wear, the local shop wonít replace the single damaged tire.

You want to guess on the price for a set of four 265/45-21Ē tires?

So i ask you, is there any truth to the claim that AWD vehicles need tires with even wear to avoid potential drivetrain damage?

I canít even say Iíve heard it both ways. I just donít want it to be true.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Default Re: AWD and F*****ní Tires

Yes, a large wear difference will cause you trouble. I canít imagine the cost of 21Ē tires. I just put new 20Ē tires on my 2011 Tundra. Michelin LTX AT2 $2500.00. I canít complain too much, even though I run the winter tires year round I am getting 100,000 km out of each set. This is my 3rd set. I donít compromise on tires.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

265/45-21Ē tires
    donks!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

this is what happens to detroiters who drive eurotrash

same exact thing happened to us when we owned the volvo

there's a speed shop in inkster that you can take your one new replacement tire to and they will 'shave' it down to size
    as i recall it cost about $40

as an aside, after trading our eurotrash volvo on a ford explorer, something similar happened
    yet the ford was smart enough to recognize the tire diameter difference and disengage it's center differential until we had that tire shaved

f*** volvo

Did Ford own Volvo when your's was built?

Paul, is this a shop with a guard dog on a chain ? - I used to have tires 'trued' on tire shop machines, but I thought they became obsolete when radial tires 'took over'

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Paul, is this a shop with a guard dog on a chain ?
    aye, so you know inkster then?

you can buy individual tires from tire rack and they offer a shaving service
    i can recommend a shop in pinckney that will accept a tire rack delivery and mount the tire for you

https://tires.tirerack.com/m/tires/Shaving

This is the second puncture in this tire so it can’t be repaired and due to tread wear, the local shop won’t replace the single damaged tire.
    New one on me. Hit up Autozone for a plug kit & do it yourself. Where I drive, the plug kit is in my carry all the time bag, and I know I've had two or more plugs in one tire before.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    New one on me. Hit up Autozone for a plug kit & do it yourself. Where I drive, the plug kit is in my carry all the time bag, and I know I've had two or more plugs in one tire before.
    You should be able to get a "section repair" but that can't be used on a steer tire.
    Our guys put rebar through the tires all the time...
    see: http://www.patchrubber.com/tire_repair/12117-pass.html
    Tire dealers are in the tire selling business

Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Yes, a large wear difference will cause you trouble. I canít imagine the cost of 21Ē tires. I just put new 20Ē tires on my 2011 Tundra. Michelin LTX AT2 $2500.00. I canít complain too much, even though I run the winter tires year round I am getting 100,000 km out of each set. This is my 3rd set. I donít compromise on tires.
    WTF are tyres in the US made out of? I have never got more than 40k out of a set of tyres on any vehicle, ever.
    Re the OP, my current ride is an AWD Tucson. The amount of time it actually spends with all four wheels driven in a year, is probably about the same length of time that i can hold my breath for. And by definition, when the AWD actually does kick in, the road surface is slippery so transmission windup isn't going to happen.
    I'm about to have the same argument with my local tyre shop, because I absolutely do not accept that putting a pair of new tyres on one end will cause any problems whatsoever. The fronts are worn more than the rears, so they are already different rolling diameters - what is going to change by replacing only the front tyres?
    If they are totally anal about it, I'll just take in the two wheels .

Pete

How did civilization exist before 20Ē rims? What I donít get are 55 profile truck tires with off road tread. Is this for better handling in high speed turns while towing tractors?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    donks!
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    How did civilization exist before 20” rims? What I don’t get are 55 profile truck tires with off road tread. Is this for better handling in high speed turns while towing tractors?
    SWMBO is the world’s most level-headed pragmatist. No question about it.

But... when it came time to get this car, her inner child poked through, if only for a moment.

“I just want crazy, irresponsible looking, wheels” she said.

Who was I to say “no?”

BTW- Couldn’t agree more on the truck wheels/tires. Especially when they go with 24”+ on lifted trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    This is how I roll. I put an oddball cap on the valve stem so I'll know not to rotate it onto the front (and if its being plugged for a second time).
    I'm currently experiencing higher than normal volume of human interaction, and appreciate your tolerance of my intolerance.

What's the problem with more than one plug in a tire?

News to me as well. I had 3 subarus. I think they were all awd. Maybe not the first one back in....82 but I thought so. Has it been that long? Never paid any attention to tire size/uneven wear.

Couple of things:

Replacing all 4 tires: if they are 1/2 worn or more, then yes. There are lots of things spinning around (3 differentials in your car) & having everything going at the same speed makes for way less wear & tear.

Tires: Not sure what model you have - so I don't know if they'll fit, but 265/65-17 tires are within less than 1% size-wise - so your speedo will be pretty accurate. A quick check at TireRack.com shows the 17" tires at less than 1/2 the price of 21" - IOW probably more than enough to pay for a new set of 17" rims & they will mount & balance them for free.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/ has a good tire size comparison tool. At TireRack, you can enter your year, make, & model & it'll tell you what factory options were.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Life is SO much easier when one does not seek perfection.

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    You want to guess on the price for a set of four 265/45-21” tires?
    Google shows prices from $150/tire to $350/tire. The lower price is about what I pay for more common tires.
    Life is complex.

Looks like weíre splitting the difference.

Visited local tire shop again today. By their measurement, weíre just inside of VWís spec for single replacement. The owners manual (RTFM) advises to replace in pairs (front or back) and so thatís what weíre going to do. Given the wear, weíll definitely get the other pair and in the upcoming year, but hopefully that will take us through to the end of the lease.

I had some sidewall damage show up in one tire on my wife's car, an all-wheel drive Mini with 18,000 miles on all the tires. Went to a "used "tire place which is pretty well set up. They replaced damaged tire with equivalent tread (guarenteed 80% of new) and said this would match the other tires but put the new "used" tire on the back and bring the originals to the front as a pair. Good deal-$70 US. Sign in the waiting room: "We're All Driving on Used Tires"

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    News to me as well. I had 3 subarus. I think they were all awd. Maybe not the first one back in....82 but I thought so. Has it been that long? Never paid any attention to tire size/uneven wear.
    Two Foresters in eleven years, second hand, 200000kms when I got them....same model same year. AWD. 22 years old. replace all four tyres at about 40000kms, but I have had to have bad blowouts replaced not repaired, and you can't have dissimilar tyres on the same axle , so get a bad blowout you have to have two new ones unless the other one is very near to new. four Goodyear Wranglers 205 70 15" 80 € each 320 beertokens and I thought that was expensive.

Do they see you guys coming. ...? It can't possibly cost more to produce a twenty inch tyre over a 13 14 or whatever.... economies of scale and ok maybe a teensy bit more material cost... but 80 bts versus 800 bts....?
    and i have never heard of transmission faults or failures because of AWD ha ving to cope with uneven wear.
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    Two Foresters in eleven years, second hand, 200000kms when I got them....same model same year. AWD. 22 years old. replace all four tyres at about 40000kms, but I have had to have bad blowouts replaced not repaired, and you can't have dissimilar tyres on the same axle , so get a bad blowout you have to have two new ones unless the other one is very near to new. four Goodyear Wranglers 205 70 15" 80 € each 320 beertokens and I thought that was expensive.

Do they see you guys coming. ...? It can't possibly cost more to produce a twenty inch tyre over a 13 14 or whatever.... economies of scale and ok maybe a teensy bit more material cost... but 80 bts versus 800 bts....?
    and i have never heard of transmission faults or failures because of AWD ha ving to cope with uneven wear.
    Tire prices are like airline fares - they make no sense at all - but they go up significantly with increased rim diameter. To add insult to injury, the larger diameters have lower profiles & the lower profiles require more expensive tire machines - so mounting them is often more expensive. One of our Audis came with 18" wheels. I was able to buy 4 17" tires with aftermarket alloy rims, mounted & balanced for $150US less than 4 18" snows of the same brand.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Replacing all four seems a bit extreme.After all,is there a perfectly even load applied to all four?Come to that you might get a different rolling radius if you inflate the tyres to the same pressure when one side is in the shade and the other side in sunlight.

i have never heard of transmission faults or failures because of AWD ha ving to cope with uneven wear
    Subarus are fairly resistant to such failures, but it can happen. Volvos, with an apparently similar drive train, are not. Friends of mine replaced their Volvo (with a Subie) after fixing the centre viscous differential twice - simply because they used the AWD vehicle in slippery conditions frequently.

Tire pressure differences due to ambient temperature/solar insolation will equalize rapidly when actually driving.

VW specs a 3/32” difference in tread depth to be acceptable. I was thinking about this very thing on the way home... with an awd car, how often are any two tires turning at the same rate? What’s considered “close enough”. And what’s the point of all these differentials if not to accommodate all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Beowolf View Post
    VW specs a 3/32” difference in tread depth to be acceptable. I was thinking about this very thing on the way home... with an awd car, how often are any two tires turning at the same rate? What’s considered “close enough”. And what’s the point of all these differentials if not to accommodate all this?
    My understanding is that most of the time differentials aren't doing their differential thing, just behaving like a crown wheel and pinion which are supported by ball or roller bearings. Different sized tyres put the spider gears to work all the time and accelerate wear because they have far less sophisticated bearing surfaces.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

The true differentials at each end of the car can handle the speed difference without any trouble. They do not fail. It is the centre viscous differential that fails. When there is a speed difference between the front and back of the car, the viscous diff sends torque to to where it is needed. If a tire is too big/small, there is a constant speed difference between each end, the viscous diff heats up and eventually fails. It is not intended to transmit torque constantly.

VW still using the Haldex system? If it is, even slight variations in tyre diameter can destroy the centre diff.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama