Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 36 to 56 of 56

Thread: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Entry Level
    Posts
    23,397

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    See post #6. The real problem isn't what the new law does to voters, it's the fact that it throws certification of the election to the Georgia legislature. Suppose Kamala Harris wins the most votes in a future presidential election, will the Republican-dominated legislature give Harris the electoral college votes?
    They gerrymander the districts, restrict the franchise, then restrict the opportunity to actually vote. So far, so good. What they need now is the power to toss the whole thing overboard if they still don't get the result they want.
    Had every Athenian citizen been a Socrates, every Athenian assembly would still have been a mob.

    -- James Madison, Federalist 55

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,644

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    See post #6. The real problem isn't what the new law does to voters, it's the fact that it throws certification of the election to the Georgia legislature. Suppose Kamala Harris wins the most votes in a future presidential election, will the Republican-dominated legislature give Harris the electoral college votes?
    well, itís also what it does to voters, and the wHy they pushed it through - the Big Lie

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Waynesboro, GA. USA
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Feel like explaining this? Maybe some cites?
    GA new election law is more democratic in regards to early voting days, including weekends and total voting hours than the election laws of New York, Delaware, Penn., Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conn., Oregon, Washington State, Hawaii and Colorado.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Waynesboro, GA. USA
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by icyb View Post
    Yes the new Georgia law adds two more weekends of early voting then New York. This is not the issue,in the new Georgia law the legislature's can get rid of Brad Raffensperger and appoint a yes man.Then they pick a new slate of electors this is the issue. Tell my how many Democrat presidents ever won but lost the popular vote? And how many Republican presidents won by losing the popular vote? I wish I was making this up.Electors are picked six months ahead of the election a slate of loyal democrats and republicans. When the state gives the results only the winning side certifies and the losers effin stay home I don't care blue controld or red state. unlike last year when republicans tried going in state capitals
    The popular vote is immaterial and for a good reason. You should have gotten that in high school civics.

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    GA new election law is more democratic in regards to early voting days, including weekends and total voting hours than the election laws of New York, Delaware, Penn., Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conn., Oregon, Washington State, Hawaii and Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    The popular vote is immaterial and for a good reason. You should have gotten that in high school civics.
    Thanks for your reply.

    I realize that these posts are 4 minutes apart, so maybe you'd forgotten what you wrote in the first one, but the "more democratic" in the reply to my question rather conflicts with the next. Why should anyone in Georgia bother to vote if the legislature is going to do what it wants anyway?
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,174

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    GA new election law is more democratic in regards to early voting days, including weekends and total voting hours than the election laws of New York, Delaware, Penn., Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Conn., Oregon, Washington State, Hawaii and Colorado.
    Don't know about those other states, but Washington has a system where everyone votes by mail. You can vote any time after you get the ballot, so every day from the issuance of the ballots to election day is an early voting day. How can Georgia offer more early voting days than that?

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,174

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    The popular vote is immaterial and for a good reason. You should have gotten that in high school civics.
    That's right, the electoral college was designed to empower slave states.

    http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blog...on-and-35.html

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,618

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    "The popular vote is immaterial and for a good reason. You should have gotten that in high school civics."
    So, why bother with an election, and for that matter why bother with the charade of "United" in the country's title?

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    That's right, the electoral college was designed to empower slave states.

    http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blog...on-and-35.html
    Apparently that counts as "a good reason" for Seabeau.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Waynesboro, GA. USA
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    They must all be busy defending Derek Chauvin and/or blaming Daunte Wright for making a cop shoot him over on some other threads.

    Tom
    Well there is the fact that Floyd and Wright were well known "business" associates.

  11. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Waynesboro, GA. USA
    Posts
    122

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    That's right, the electoral college was designed to empower slave states.

    http://booksellersvsbestsellers.blog...on-and-35.html
    Liberal drivel. Given the relatively few numbers of slaves anywhere in the US at the drafting of the Constitution, the idea that the electoral College, a major component of our electoral process, was created to empower "slave states" is absurd.

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    Well there is the fact that Floyd and Wright were well known "business" associates.
    I know Floyd and Chauvin had a work connection. Perhaps you typed the wrong name by mistake? Or "by mistake"?

    Floyd and Wright never met, though apparently Floyd's girlfriend worked at the high school Wright attended.

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    northwestern Wisconsin
    Posts
    9,897

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    Liberal drivel. Given the relatively few numbers of slaves anywhere in the US at the drafting of the Constitution, the idea that the electoral College, a major component of our electoral process, was created to empower "slave states" is absurd.
    Educate yourself and you won't end up looking stupid. Here's a good place to start:

    There was one difficulty however of a serious nature attending an immediate choice by the people. The right of suffrage was much more diffusive in the Northern than the Southern States; and the latter could have no influence in the election on the score of the Negroes. The substitution of electors obviated this difficulty and seemed on the whole to be liable to fewest objections.

    Behind Madison’s statement were the stark facts: The populations in the North and South were approximately equal, but roughly one-third of those living in the South were held in bondage. Because of its considerable, nonvoting slave population, that region would have less clout under a popular-vote system. The ultimate solution was an indirect method of choosing the president, one that could leverage the three-fifths compromise, the Faustian bargain they’d already made to determine how congressional seats would be apportioned. With about 93 percent of the country’s slaves toiling in just five southern states, that region was the undoubted beneficiary of the compromise, increasing the size of the South’s congressional delegation by 42 percent. When the time came to agree on a system for choosing the president, it was all too easy for the delegates to resort to the three-fifths compromise as the foundation. The peculiar system that emerged was the Electoral College.
    Source (The Atlantic)

    Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

    www.tompamperin.com

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    37,793

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    Liberal drivel. Given the relatively few numbers of slaves anywhere in the US at the drafting of the Constitution, the idea that the electoral College, a major component of our electoral process, was created to empower "slave states" is absurd.
    Take it from a Historical Illiterate.

    You're wrong.
    Rattling the teacups.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FLorida
    Posts
    1,064

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Did Seabeau actually graduate from an American elementary school? I don't ask this to be demeaning, the 3/5th compromise and why it was done are normally taught around 5th grade. However there has been a very longstanding effort in the South to whitewash the history of slavery in the US. Leading to a lot of people not actually knowing about the realities.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHf-eeqmLVA

  16. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,644

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Corvida View Post
    Did Seabeau actually graduate from an American elementary school? I don't ask this to be demeaning, the 3/5th compromise and why it was done are normally taught around 5th grade. However there has been a very longstanding effort in the South to whitewash the history of slavery in the US. Leading to a lot of people not actually knowing about the realities.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHf-eeqmLVA
    Trumpnesia. They’ve forgotten eveything they once knew or believed to serve the DonJon.

    fwiw, 500,000 slaves at the time of the Revolution

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    58,803

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Given the relatively few numbers of slaves anywhere in the US at the drafting of the Constitution . . .
    Good God.

    Southern states, percent of the population that was enslaved in 1790 (Source)

    Delaware 15%
    Georgia 33.5%
    Kentucky 17%
    Maryland 32%
    North Carolina 25.5%
    South Carolina 43%
    Virginia 39%

    Total 34%
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Good God.

    Southern states, percent of the population that was enslaved in 1790 (Source)

    Delaware 15%
    Georgia 33.5%
    Kentucky 17%
    Maryland 32%
    North Carolina 25.5%
    South Carolina 43%
    Virginia 39%

    Total 34%
    C'mon Keith - he knows that they all just magically appeared after September 1787.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    27,174

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Good God.

    Southern states, percent of the population that was enslaved in 1790 (Source)

    Delaware 15%
    Georgia 33.5%
    Kentucky 17%
    Maryland 32%
    North Carolina 25.5%
    South Carolina 43%
    Virginia 39%

    Total 34%
    Thus, the 3/5 compromise was important it getting the slave states to sign onto the constitution. South Carolina, by the way, was the first state to secede. They had good reason to fear the whole power structure of the state would change if slaves were freed.

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Location
    St. Paul, MN, USA
    Posts
    58,803

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Thus, the 3/5 compromise was important it getting the slave states to sign onto the constitution. South Carolina, by the way, was the first state to secede. They had good reason to fear the whole power structure of the state would change if slaves were freed.
    Indeed. In 1860 57% of the people in South Carolina were slaves; anything approaching democracy would have given black folks control of the government. That was also the site of some of the most violent and brutal efforts to preserve white rule after the end of Reconstruction. 'Pitchfork' Ben Tillman was from a plantation near Trenton SC.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

    Richard Feynman

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Pompano Beach, FLorida
    Posts
    1,064

    Default Re: We may have seen the last democratic Presidential election

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Trumpnesia. They’ve forgotten eveything they once knew or believed to serve the DonJon.

    fwiw, 500,000 slaves at the time of the Revolution
    Apparently he hasn't gotten back to the forum today. I'm genuinely curious to be honest. The split in worldview across the country is beyond differences in opinion, they're differences in perceived reality. With many concerted efforts to create those differences. This is why words like 'socialist' or 'liberal' only mean 'something I don't like' to most of the right wing. The actual meanings of the words have nothing to do with the thought process or conversation.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •