Thread: for sale one mile from my house, i think i should go have a look

Default for sale one mile from my house, i think i should go have a look

and

and a bit further down the road

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: for sale one mile from my house, i think i should go have a look

Yes, yes and yes!

No place to keep it. Maybe get rid of the horse?

You should.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Number three for the win!

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/t...304258982.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/t...305675695.html

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/t...306391505.html

On the face of it, I'd probably go for the Habegger.

It's smallish, but has lots of tooling, and I would guess that it will cut both metric and Imperial threads.

You could take the $8K difference and put up a tent.
    Rattling the teacups.

You may need to build a barn

I got room to store another lathe or three, here...

If you ask Cleek 'nicely' , MAYBE he'd part with some of his tooling and accessories . . . . . Nah, I don't think that would happen

cleek? who??

Hardinge tooling is over the top $$$
    For a hobby shop, I like the little Logan
    Think; chucks, collets and closer, steady rest, follow rest, taper attachment

What are the prices on these machines?

the paint alone is worth that

Too much money... it is nice but not that nice

look here, a days drive away: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls...305152172.html

There was an 11 inch Sheldon yesterday, for the same price...

The good ones go quickly
    Hardinge is ridgid and precise if it is not worn out and no one buys a hardinge to let it sit, well the government maybe, 8 hours a day is the norm and it is small. For a hobby shop you want versatility more than precision. Distance between centers, swing, and tooling. The high end of the small shop stuff ( single phase) is 12-13 inches. And you will need a steady rest. Probably for the second job you do.
    When you start finding and pricing the tooling is when you pay the piper.
    The swiss lathe is a glorified jewler's, lathe, no back gear, no threading capability a "second op" machine, limited use.

edit: collet availability of a common variety (5C) are a must have. Which means a minimum 1-1/4" hole through the spindle
    (12 inch swing, 36" between centers is a good size)
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 04-13-2021 at 09:41 PM.

Lathebian.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

lol

The Hardinge (I think) has an independent feed system driven by an electric motor, so you can dial the feed up or down at will, independent of shaft turning speed (without having to stop and shift gears). (The other leadscrew, tied to shaft speed, is for threading only.) And, when you pull the chuck off, you can grab things in 5C collets (via the lever to the extreme left), which is really nice for production jobs or materials that would be damaged or hard to hold by the chuck, the collet grabs almost 100% of the periphery. If I'm right, that's an amazing lathe, though the bed is short.
    Last edited by Bob (oh, THAT Bob); 04-14-2021 at 01:12 AM.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Too much money... it is nice but not that nice

look here, a days drive away: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/tls...305152172.html

There was an 11 inch Sheldon yesterday, for the same price...

The good ones go quickly
    Hardinge is ridgid and precise if it is not worn out and no one buys a hardinge to let it sit, well the government maybe, 8 hours a day is the norm and it is small. For a hobby shop you want versatility more than precision. Distance between centers, swing, and tooling. The high end of the small shop stuff ( single phase) is 12-13 inches. And you will need a steady rest. Probably for the second job you do.
    When you start finding and pricing the tooling is when you pay the piper.
    The swiss lathe is a glorified jewler's, lathe, no back gear, no threading capability a "second op" machine, limited use.

edit: collet availability of a common variety (5C) are a must have. Which means a minimum 1-1/4" hole through the spindle
    (12 inch swing, 36" between centers is a good size)
    Good to know.
    Rattling the teacups.

I've got a 14" Logan, Travel Dial on Z doesn't like wood dust at all. Hardinge with power feed, nice.
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    No place to keep it. Maybe get rid of the horse?
    No.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine;[URL="tel:6429555"
    6429555[/URL]]No.
    Or bring the horse inside.

I've been on eBay looking for a decent sized, reasonably priced band saw. The little Ryobi thing I bought new won't make a straight cut through quarter inch plywood- quite literally. And that's after being adjusted! So yesterday my friend Phil asked me to call in as he had something he wanted to show me. Turns out to be a big German band saw he bought from a friend for $250. Friend had no use for it and it was bought new by his father who rarely used it- the paint is still flawless and it cuts like a dream. I told Phil to try to find me one, otherwise I'll have no choice but to kill him and take his. JayInOz