Thread: Rhino advice from lofting

Default Rhino advice from lofting

I知 interested in learning Rhino and have a very basic, and completely uneducated, question for the forum. I build dories with flat bottoms, plywood on frame. The designs are fairly simple, and I知 looking at trying out various different sizes, shape, flares, etc to see how they come out. The free Rhino version looks like a good place to start, with the option of buying the software key if I like it and can then save my files. Ultimately I might include a CNC into building but not for now.

So my first question is, can you easily take a set of offsets, generated from paper lofting, and input these into a CAD program such as Rhino? And then go from there to adjust and modify as desired?

Default Re: Rhino advice from lofting

Yes, you can import points in CSV format into Rhino. You will need to convert the offsets into decimal inches (or decimal mm or whatever you're using) and arrange them as XYZ coordinates in excel or a similar spreadsheet program; then save them as a CSV (comma delimited) file. You should then be able to import that file into Rhino. Be sure to match the native units in your session or you'll be off by whatever the scaling factor is between units.

Default Re: Rhino advice from lofting

You've picked a good program.I'm a bit out of date with the capabilities as I haven't used anything more recent than Rhino 5.It will do everything you are likely to need and it is quite easy to learn.For a simple dory shape you may find it easier to draw each section on a different layer and move them to the correct location.You can build up to surfacing between the lines that delineate each plank and even expand those shapes for export to a CNC machine.Pulling control points around to see what a different hull shape might look like isn't so hard and something similar used to be in the tutorials.Working through the tutorials is time well spent.