Thread: 1959 Thompson Restoration - Hull Advise

Default 1959 Thompson Restoration - Hull Advise

Hey guys -

I picked up a 17ft 1959 Thompson Sea Lancer laptrake boat to restore. It is in really good shape for the most part. This is my first attempt at a restoration and excited to get started. I am going to start on the hull but not entirely sure where to start and what should and shouldn’t be replaced. I want to remove most if not all of the Lead paint first (I understand the health risks of lead). My main concerns are with the the
    joint overlaps, keel and bottom boards. Should I use marine caulk? Epoxy?

Any advice would be appreciated! I will post a few pics.

Thanks,
    Dan

Default Re: 1959 Thompson Restoration - Hull Advise

Before you get too far down any path, you might want to pick up a copy of Danenberg's book, 'How To Restore Your Wooden Runabout'. Not everyone agrees with his approach, but it's a perfectly coherent system, easy to follow, with a lot of successful projects out there.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by champj8 View Post
    Hey guys -

My main concerns are with the the
    joint overlaps, keel and bottom boards. Should I use marine caulk? Epoxy?

Any advice would be appreciated! I will post a few pics.

Thanks,
    Dan
    If the fastenings are good you "shouldn't" have to use anything. If you are in it for the long term stuff in the seams is a band-aid and can cause issues down the road

+1 on Danenbergs book

I would take it all back to the wood and assess.

I restored a 16' 1959 PennYan I found in very much the same shape as yours.
    The bottom of yours is made up of marine ply and hopefully the planks are also marine ply.
    Mine were and the boat was nice and tight without me doing anything to them other then paint.
    What shape are the ribs in? A lot of mine were rotted and had to be replaced.
    If you're going to leave the boat on that cradle for a while, get some support under the keel.
    Wooden boats want to have all their weight supported by the keel. Side supports are just for balance.
    What I would do is take off the windshield and flip the boat.
    Take the hull down to wood. I used a heat gun and very sharp scraper.
    Of course, use a very good quality respirator and keep the garage door wide open.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

PM Andreas Jordahl Rhude. A forum member and King of the Thompsons. He’s restored probably dozens of them. Or post your question on the Wooden Boat Forum Facebook group where he might be more likely to see it.

Nice looking boat. I think she is a Cortland, NY built boat (from windshield side frame shape and what I can see of the seat backrests). there were SEVERAL Thompson Boat firms: Thompson Bros. Boat Mfg. Co of Peshtigo, WI; and after 01 Jan 1959 Thompson Boat Company of New York, Inc. of Cortland, NY; Thompson Royal-Craft of Cortland, NY; Cruisers, Inc. of Oconto, WI; T & T Boats, Inc. of Wausaukee, WI; and Grady-White Boats of Greenville, NC was a spin-off that came out of Thompson and Cruisers.

Hull planking is Douglas fir plywood. Stained and varnished wood is Philippine mahogany. Structural framing and steam bent ribs are white oak.

The old brochures have been scanned and can be purchased on flash drive at www.wcha.org It's a great resource

I just restored a 1959 Peshtigo 17 ft. Sea Lancer.

Andreas

The most likely area of leaking on this type of boat is the outer keel and stem. Sand them down so you can see the putty filled countersunk screws and carriage bolts. remove the white lead putty and back out the screws. There should be two carriage bolts at the junction of stem and keel. Remove them. Remove the out keel and stem. Clean up under there and replace any bad wood. It's easy to make a new outer keel if the original is bad or all chewed up. Maybe dowel the screw and bolt holes. Sand, seal, prime, caulk and replace the outer keel. Back butter it and screw and bolt it down and use your finger to make a nice fillet when it oozes out. Sand and prime and paint.

Also look at ribs where they meet the inner keel. This is a typical area of decay. Replace bad wood with new, good quality all-heartwood white oak.

There are two active Facebook groups for Thompson et.al. boats.

Right now I am sitting in my office in Peshtigo, Wisconsin. The remnants of the old Thompson Boat factory are about 300 feet over my right shoulder.

Andreas

You might check out these guys videos https https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aH41FZp1a0&t=400s
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.