Thread: dory lee boards

Default dory lee boards

Hi all,
    I am new here so thought I would ask for some advice. I have built a 17' Northeastern dory (Jeff Spira hull design) and I have a lateen rig for it (Sun fish set up). I also have, a jib off a 3 foot bow sprit. I do have some boat building experience do to the fact I built boats with Nick Hake (Hake Yachts/Seaward) for 3 years and 1 year with Island Packet Yachts. So as you can probably tell already this is not your typical dory set up and yes I have been told I am crazy putting leeboards on this boat. But I want to sail in very shallow water and I am addiment to make them work. So the question is when shaping the leeboards how should I shape the foil? Thick to thin like a rudder? I have also heard that I should only shape one side as well?

Thanks for any advice!

Cheers!
    Jeff

Default Re: dory lee boards

Jeff,

We have a lot of leeboard equipped boats in my country. Those which were designed for very shallow inshore waters usually have round shaped leeboards which are essentially flat in profile ( no NACA etc.) just some thick thin streamlining. They are attached toe in on the boat ( just a few degrees like this / \ )
    The lager boats which operate in deeper waters usually have longer shaped leeboards with a wing profile ( round on the inside, hollow on the outside, these things are hard to make!)
    This is a pic of a punter, which has some resemblance to the dory, the leeboard on the left side of the pic, the FSM is the logo of the museum from which I ripped the pic. The leeboard has a pear shape and is flat, made of European oak, in the US that would be white oak or another sturdy wood. Good luck with your Dory, a pic would be nice !
    punter.jpg

O I forgot to tell you that there's a Dutch boatbuilding forum with pictures of the construction of foil shaped leeboards, I haven't found it yet , I will post it later tonight.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 04-13-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Here it is https://zeilersforum.nl/index.php/fo...-een-platbodem
    The pictures are spread out over all 4 pages, a lot of small talk in-between, just keep scrolling down.

If you will add a club boom to your jib and rig it with the downhaul part way aft on the boom (like they do on ice scooters and most RC sloop models) it will make the jib self tending and make tacking a bit less hectic when sailing solo. You might even be able to ditch the bowsprit.

It's even possible to bring the lateen's yard back aft of the mast, pull the tack corner down near the deck and go for kind of a poor man's Hawaiian sail look.

!LAKPLA copy.jpg

Or slide the gooseneck forward on the boom to minimize the amount of sail forward of the mast. In either case, a jib that is self-tending and self-vanging can be pretty handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dutchpp Thank you very much! I will put this to good use!

Todd
    wow! that is neat! maybe i will try that. Thank you for the pics

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Here it is https://zeilersforum.nl/index.php/fo...-een-platbodem
    The pictures are spread out over all 4 pages, a lot of small talk in-between, just keep scrolling down.
    Jeff, Note Well.
    The leeboard on the Punter
    is mounted on the tumble home shear strake, so that it stands vertical as the boat heels.
    You will need a substantial chock to bolster out the flare of a dory to bring the leeboard upright in the water.
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 04-13-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

thank you
    yes the dory does have a sharply angled hull. I am using some pieces of laminated oak and through bolting it to the hull. do you think that will be ok?

I wouldn't overthink it. Just make up a couple and see how they work. Rethink and then try a couple more. Long and narrow with NACA foil sections is most efficient but puts more stress on the pivot, short and wide and flat is simpler and better for shallow water. I went through three iterations on my Whisp before building in a daggerboard. I would suggest mounting them to a crossbar that can be adjusted fore and aft to tweak balance. The bar can be clamped to the gunnel and easily removed when not needed.

Here's the general idea, common on canoes and workable on other smaller boats.

-Dave

Thx Dave
    This is something I came up with for adjusting the boards forward and aft. I saw something similar when I was in the Netherlands. In your experience did you have to move the boards dramatically to make a difference? If so this may not be enough adjustment.20210413_194210.jpg20210413_194252.jpg

No, if you start with the board in the usual relation to the sail plan, then a few inches fore and aft ought to be enough. (You can deal with weather helm, but lee helm gives you a boat that won't go to windward.)

The issue with dories and other boats (the Whisp included) that have a lot of flare is that if a leeboard pivots in and out on its bracket it needs a strake to rest against -- and with all that flare, the strake can need to be quite wide. But if you can work with that issue, then your hardware ought to work. But once you add the strake, you can test the board location by hanging it from a loop of rope before you commit to putting holes in the boat for the hardware. The water pressure will hold it in place well enough for a test -- and for all use, actually, if it has some lead in it.
    -Dave

I own a boat with leeboards ( big ones) they have an adjustable axle (indeed just a couple of inches either way) but once set up properly I've never adjusted them ( only the guys who race these boats adjust them during their races). So as Woxbox advices; determine the correct location, if you have found that perfect spot, just built a simple axle for it.
    My boat with axle:
    IMG_0243.jpg
    And the simple axle of a punter;
    punter foto.jpg
    Good luck.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 04-14-2021 at 02:25 AM.

http://forum.woodenboat.com/images/attach/jpg.gif
    Dory with leeboards in La Semaine du Golfe 2017. Built in local Pin de Touraine. No centreboard so more room inside for sleeping.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes there is dory with leeboards out there lol! Thanks everyone for the advice and all the great pics! I am very happy I joined this forum!! I will pos. A picture when she is done!
    Thx agian!
    Jeff
    "Fair winds and following seas"