Thread: Atkin "Little Dipper"

Default Atkin "Little Dipper"

Well, I finally bought plans from the Atkin site, after lusting after so many of the designs there. I chose "Little Dipper" just to get my feet wet.

I've no plans to build her. (Wish I had the space, skills, money, etc.) I would like to loft her full size, but even that would need a bigger space than I have right now. I just wanted to see what the plans would look like and how much detail is included. Having built two glued-lap plywood boats, I would really like to try traditional construction. The 10 foot Vintage is on the short list.

Anyway, here are some pix. Doesn't that sketch get you thinking of some "Riddle of the Sands" type adventures?

Mike

Little Dipper.jpg
    Dipper.jpg

Default Re: Atkin "Little Dipper"

You'd need legs to set her comfortably on the sands.

The Atkins, father and son, sure could draw tasty boats! When I was a kid I had wide-eyed cravings for one of their little cutters. I'm not sure this one would work out too well in "Riddle of the Sands" country, though, since she won't sail in shallow water, nor dry out upright. Good dreaming material, though!

^The 4 feet draft of this design is more or less the maximum draft for cruising "the Sands", you need to prepare your route and calculate a bit more, but no reason to stop dreaming of the sands in your little dipper!
    IMG_0684.jpg

She's a fine looking vessel, as suitable, I am sure, for voyages real and fanciful!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

You gents are right. Shifting shoals may not be ideal. How about "We didn't mean to go to Sea," by Ransome?

Well put, Kevin.

Jeff

Superb dreaming material.

The Atkin site doesn't list the displacement, but with 3600 lb of outside lead it must be north of 8000 lb.

I would note that with the narrow beam, this must be just about the least interior accommodation possible on an 8000 lb displacement, not that it is a problem if the plan suits you.

I like the idea of the cabin done up in oiled wood, and a real fire burning in the galley stove. It would be the perfect cozy refuge for a solo sailor.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_Owen View Post
    You gents are right. Shifting shoals may not be ideal. How about "We didn't mean to go to Sea," by Ransome?
    As far as I know a part of this story takes place in Flushing, for inspiration here's a short film of traffic around Flushing during a sailing event

Last edited by dutchpp; 04-12-2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: wrong video

I have Atkins' plan catalogs, and a book or two. Good stuff!

I should mention that also included with the plans in the case of "Little Dipper" was an article, possibly from MotorBoating magazine that talks about the boat and gives a brief narrative of her construction and scantlings. The article is nicely illustrated even showing the keel, stem and stern set up on building floor, with molds braced to rafters above.

One unexpected part of the design is that, from what I can tell from the plans, access to the cabin is down a vertical ladder. It is a really small boat, so I understand the need for space-saving. Do folks have any experience with a vertical ladder from the companionway?

Mike