Thread: Varnish, Hull

Red face Varnish, Hull

Im looking for advice on the varnishing of a hull of a 22foot open boat Larch on Oak New build. Im thinking about initially applying Epifanes PP extra varnish. It is a two component varnish based on alkyd resin/isocynanate, fast dry time excellent abrasion resistance. I was going to apply Epifanes yacht varnish on the last coats for extra uv protection. Any Advice Welcome. Thankyou In Advance, Johnny
    T
    PP Varnish Extra
    PP Varnish Extra

Default Re: Varnish, Hull

Generally speaking, 2-part finishes dry harder, resist abrasion better, and maintain a gloss.

However. they are inflexible. Where the wood moves, the film of the finish doesn't. Something's gotta give. That will be the film. It will crack at the movement locales and water will intrude, and you'll have to clean up the mess. If you insist on a 'bright' finished hull, you'll be better off with a more traditional 'long-oil' formulation. My go-to is Interlux Schooner #96, but there are lots out there, including from Epifanes.

Save the 2-part for more stable substrates.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It’s not a good coating for a hull. Massive work commitment.

Paint is your friend.

But on Drake we do keep some things varnished. The name boards. Some highly visible blocks. A cockpit table. Interior stuff.

Not the external hull. Obsessive time requirement.

If you're set on a bright finish, I would suggest you use Deks Olje D1 saturating oil which is easily maintained. If you want a high gloss finish then use Deks Olje D2 gloss finish on top of the D1.
    https://www.boatpaint.co.uk/acatalog/DeksOlje.html

Nick

I would use at least 5 layers of le Tonkinois and if you really want a glossy finish, top it of with a couple of coats of standard Epiphanes yacht varnish.
    It's a bit of work, but will be extremely beautiful, you could always switch to paint in the future

Quote Originally Posted by johnny breslin View Post
    Im looking for advice on the varnishing of a hull of a 22foot open boat Larch on Oak New build. Im thinking about initially applying Epifanes PP extra varnish. It is a two component varnish based on alkyd resin/isocynanate, fast dry time excellent abrasion resistance. I was going to apply Epifanes yacht varnish on the last coats for extra uv protection. Any Advice Welcome. Thankyou In Advance, Johnny
    T
    PP Varnish Extra
    PP Varnish Extra
    photos would very much be appreciated.
    Steve Martinsen

Rockland Maine USA and Woodbridge, Suffolk, England

Is she clinker (riveted lapstrake) or carvel?

If carvel, are the seams splined and the fastening holes plugged?

If clinker, I would definitely not use a 2-part coating as they are too brittle. As David G says use International or Epifanes or similar traditional style varnishes. Thin the first coats and apply in total about 7 coats.

If carvel, splined and plugged, then 2-part coatings should be OK.

Cheers -- George
    To be truly free to live, one must be free to think and speak.

A C Grayling