Thread: white oak -> tamarack?

Default white oak -> tamarack?

I'm moving this over from another thread because it seems more like a design question at this point.

I've settled on the 13 ft outboard dory skiff from Gardner's Dory Book, chapter 26. The one-piece stem is specified to be white oak sided 1 5/8", molded 2 1/2". The sawn frames are 7/8" sided, 2" molded.
    Could I make those parts in tamarack? Would the scantlings be the same? Elsewhere on this forum it's been said that much of the sizing of structural members on small boats like this is more about holding nails than the necessary strength of the parts. And also if I understand, tamarack has a similar though somewhat lesser strength to oak in a bunch of important ways.

Anyway, appreciate any guidance. I do have access to white oak here as well, but I'm interested in the practicalities of adapting designs to the local tree species.

Default Re: white oak -> tamarack?

Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Thad View Post
    Yes and yes.
    Thanks.

Tamarack was used commonly around here, the south shore of Long Island, for sawn frames in small open sailboats. Frames probably an inch by and inch and a half or less. Carvel boats. cedar planked. They would make a pattern and saw out a double thick knee and then saw it down the middle for two matching frames. All the Gill Smith boats were made that way as were the boats of many other builders, which would indicate a once thriving trade in tamarack knees.

Jim

If you're worried about the fasteners stripping just go up one size and/or use longer if there's room.

I used tamarack for the frames and stem in my 16' Modified Swampscott Dory from one of Gardner's books. No problems.
    Be sure to post some photos of your build!

-Jeff