Page 1 of 17 1211 ... LastLast

Thread: Derek Chauvin trial livestream

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Default Derek Chauvin trial livestream

Default Re: Derek Chauvin trial livestream

Who is Judge Peter Cahill?

He’s well known and respected. I have a friend who is a judge and many lawyers friends. They say he was selected for good reason. A former criminal defense attorney, then worked for Democrat Amy Klobuchar when she was county attorney, then appointed to the bench by Republican Governor Tim Pawlenty.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/derek-cha...e-peter-cahill

They're showing the video. Pretty graphic and disturbing, IMHO.
    Will

Thanks Cris. Your compliment back to you.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Prosecuting attorney Jerry Blackwell is impressive in his opening statement.

He has done a very nice job so far focusing this exclusively on Derek Chauvin and not on policing or the police force. He’s laid out what the jurors will hear, and suggested how they put it in context.

https://www.blackwellburke.com/attorneys/jerry-w-blackwell/

He is now addressing the likely key defense argument: that George Floyd died because of drug use. Calmly and clearly. He is making all the arguments I wish he would about why underlying medical conditions or use of opioids does not explain his death or excuse his accused murderer.

Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3 View Post
    They're showing the video. Pretty graphic and disturbing, IMHO.
    OOOFAH That was rough to watch.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

The defense’s opening statement: this is about reasonable doubt and common sense.

Now the focus is on George Floyd’s use of drugs and bad behavior.

Will the jurors decide (1) he died because of drugs, despite what the autopsy says, (2) Floyd’s bad behavior justified police actions, (3) Floyd was killed because of bad actions by police officers?

If I were the defense attorney, I'd try to put George Floyd on trial too. Far easier than defending Derek Chauvin.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Thanks for posting. I think there is room for serious concern about what happens in the wake of this trial if (rightly or wrongly--I feel strongly, though, that "wrongly" is the only road to an acquittal, even if "wrongly is also legal) Chauvin is acquitted. Any guesses as to how likely that is?

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Any prior bad behavior by Floyd, or the fact that he was a big guy, might be able to explain police actions until he is in cuffs (maybe). Once in cuffs, how can that be relevant?
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    Now the focus is on George Floyd’s use of drugs and bad behavior.

Will the jurors decide (1) he died because of drugs, despite what the autopsy says, (2) Floyd’s bad behavior justified police actions, (3) Floyd was killed because of bad actions by police officers?
    Depends on how many racists are on the jury.
    Now he's gone. If only he'd be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Thanks for posting. I think there is room for serious concern about what happens in the wake of this trial if (rightly or wrongly--I feel strongly, though, that "wrongly" is the only road to an acquittal, even if "wrongly is also legal) Chauvin is acquitted. Any guesses as to how likely that is?

Tom
    Who knows where the jury will go?

My bet is that he will be convicted on at least one charge, and if it’s manslaughter only the citizenry will object. I don’t imagine there will be any celebrations if he is convicted on either of the murder charges. And we haven’t, to my knowledge, seen any “back the blue” protests.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    Any prior bad behavior by Floyd, or the fact that he was a big guy, might be able to explain police actions until he is in cuffs (maybe). Once in cuffs, how can that be relevant?
    The defense’s opening statement said both that he was intoxicated and fell asleep, and that he resisted arrest (and he was a bigger guy than the cops!) justifying restraining him using an acceptable method. If I were on the jury I would consider that contradictory, an attempt to play two angles hoping one will stick.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

See that TODAY Qualfied Immunity was ended for cops of the NYPD !!!

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    See that TODAY Qualfied Immunity was ended for cops of the NYPD !!!
    Cryptic to the point of incomprehensibility.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Cryptic to the point of incomprehensibility.
    Today, 29 March 2021, Qualified Immunity was ended for Officers of the NYPD.

Cops have been getting away with murdering people because they are not held personally responsible.Their Unions protect them. They cannot be personally sued.
    NYPD is the first Police Department to do away with it.
    THIS will change policing in the USA
    okay , it actually happenned on the 26th
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 03-29-2021 at 01:25 PM.

A short day. The Minnesota Public Radio coverage seems to be the best so far.

https://www.mprnews.org/crime-law-and-justice/killing-of-george-floyd

Freudian slip: One of the commentators was talking about how kneeling on the neck was depriving the brain of oxygen, but he said "depraving". Boy, you don't need to think too hard to know what he was thinking!
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Manslaughter, yes. Getting a murder conviction will be tough and, without that, the black community will be outraged.
    I see this cop as grossly incompetent with a depraved indifference to human life, but intentional murder? That's going to be a tough one to get all jurors to agree.
    Are the prosecutors swinging for the bleachers here? I know of a local case where a person slit a cop's throat (he survived) and it was all on video. The prosecutor swung for the bleachers with the highest charge possible and the jury didn't buy it. The perp (a woman) walked free.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I predict the prosecution goes for a plea with substantial jail time( which the accused will serve in isolation, most likely)

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Details of the charges. Third Degree Murder seems to fit, IMHO.

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE. Subdivision 1.Intentional murder; drive-by shootings. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being with intent to effect the death of that person or another, but without premeditation; or
    (2) (irrelevant)

§Subd. 2.Unintentional murders. Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or
    (2) (irrelevant)

609.195 MURDER IN THE THIRD DEGREE.
    (a) Whoever, without intent to effect the death of any person, causes the death of another by perpetrating an act eminently dangerous to others and evincing a depraved mind, without regard for human life, is guilty of murder in the third degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 25 years.
    (b) - irrelevant

609.205 MANSLAUGHTER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.
    A person who causes the death of another by any of the following means is guilty of manslaughter in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both:

(1) by the person's culpable negligence whereby the person creates an unreasonable risk, and consciously takes chances of causing death or great bodily harm to another; or
    (2-4) irrelevant
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

Why was he removed from the cop car?
    Last edited by Bflat; 03-29-2021 at 05:14 PM.

That last witness today was very effective. I think a murder conviction is very much in play.

The third degree murder charge seems to fit how I see it.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

He has been written up many times in the past for doing exactly the same thing. That seems to me to be worse than 3rd degree as he had been warned what the consequences could be.

Then there is that smirk on his face with his hands in his pockets that says, "I can do this and there is nothing you can do about it!" I want to see him burn.

The problem with second-degree is proving intent. Lord knows I'm no expert, but it seems to me that a competent defense attorney wouldn't have much trouble with reasonable doubt. OTOH, perhaps while committing felony assault?

Richard Feynman

You can see why the prosecution fought all the way to the Minnesota Supreme Court to get the third degree murder charge added. Originally Judge Cahill had denied it.

I care deeply but I can't watch. Just can't. It's hard to just read things here.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Ross View Post
    You can see why the prosecution fought all the way to the Minnesota Supreme Court to get the third degree murder charge added. Originally Judge Cahill had denied it.
    Indeed. I'm no fan of Derek Chauvin, but honestly, if I were on the jury, third-degree murder seems to fit better. Proving that he intended to kill, rather than just didn't care, will be difficult.

That is, unless the felony offense in 'causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense' includes excessive use of force, or the manslaughter charge.

Richard Feynman

This is a powder keg that will make OJ look like a Judge Judy case...

I'm hoping for a 3rd degree murder conviction, followed by two weeks of rain and temperatures in the 40s.

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    I'm hoping for a 3rd degree murder conviction, followed by two weeks of rain and temperatures in the 40s.
    Would a harsh snow storm be too much to ask?

I really like the times we agree, but I wish this wasn’t one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    The problem with second-degree is proving intent. Lord knows I'm no expert, but it seems to me that a competent defense attorney wouldn't have much trouble with reasonable doubt. OTOH, perhaps while committing felony assault?
    I was out of the room when it happened, but when the martial arts expert talked about Chauvin shifting his weight and raising his foot of the ground so that his knee held his full weight (or half of it), I have to wonder what intent lies in that act? Any reasonable person would see that as an intent to inflict greater harm. Any reasonable person knows that the neck is a region that can cause death in numerous ways. And any reasonable person can see the face of Chauvin with his hands in his pockets saying, "I can do this and you can't stop me." I don't know where the line is drawn, but there is a lot of intent there to do bodily harm of a severe kind.

I don’t see how he evades manslaughter conviction. Second degree charges were sought by the Attorney General when manslaughter was perceived by the community as too light. Seems like a bridge too far. 3rd seems right.

Third degree murder conviction plus a strong job by Judge Cahill at sentencing could actually be viewed as justice. I hope.

While it does snow sometimes in Minnesota in April and even early May, I think we’ll have fine weather for protests.