Thread: EVER GIVEN free

Default EVER GIVEN free

That's the report. Why the list to port?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: EVER GIVEN free

Just in time to deliver my plastic Easter crap.
    (bow still stuck.remember that motoryacht that tipped over being launched sternfirst with the bow still on the trailer?)

Report I read not an hour ago said satellite imaging showed her underway @ ~ 2 kn.

CNN, Foxbusiness
    Last edited by sp_clark; 03-29-2021 at 10:39 AM.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Nice. You might should get a job doing that?

Thanks for posting that--I enjoyed it, and also learned a bunch of stuff. (Which mostly confirms my understanding of the PR industry and corporate mindset). Nicely written. Good luck with the mijnheers!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Nicely written. I especially liked the allusion to de Hartog, having read the Martinus Harinxma novels. An aside, his Quaker trilogy is very moving.

I refer in the article that I link to to another salvage - one that was not done by a company that I have any connection with, but which I and others particularly admire.

Do watch this. The physical and moral courage, the skill abc the determination to get it done against one crushing disappointment after another make this rather special

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I refer in the article that I link to to another salvage - one that was not done by a company that I have any connection with, but which I and others particularly admire.

Do watch this. The physical and moral courage, the skill abc the determination to get it done against one crushing disappointment after another make this rather special

Okay. From now on, Iím going to give your recommendations much more weight.

That was delightful. And awesome. Truly, really, awesome.

Thank you for sharing that.

Thank you. The film does not mention that Frank Wijsmuller was betting the company. They had made losses for several years. The kitty was nearly empty. And they had to buy more and more stuff, to charter aircraft, to pull ships in their fleet off contract work... only to see a storm come through and undo everything, so they did it again, and another storm blew through...

And they had signed a contract that committed then to getting the ship into dry dock in Rotterdam...if they didn’t get that done - no pay!

They got US$ 4.2 million. The biggest salvage award ever. It was the talk of (my bit of) the City of London. It might be thirty million dollars in today’s money.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 04-02-2021 at 03:47 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

That was amazing. Thank you. Talk about not giving up!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Wow! Thank you, Andrew.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

Good piece Andrew, well written!
    But ... mijnheers is not the plural of mijnheer (=mijnheren)
    On the other hand mijnheers sounds good in this context, so its better to use this newly designed British/Dutch word

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    Good piece Andrew, well written!
    But ... mijnheers is not the plural of mijnheer (=mijnheren)
    On the other hand mijnheers sounds good in this context, so its better to use this newly designed British/Dutch word
    It’s wrong, but it’s been used in English when teasing the Dutch since the seventeenth century!

The “Elwood Mead” was “written off” by her Underwriters as a “Constructive Total Loss”, i.e. the likely cost of repairs exceeded the insured value. But that was not the end of her. The ship was bought in her damaged state by two entrepreneurial Greeks, Nick Frangos and Nick Moundreas, towed to Greece and repaired there, and carried on trading for thirty years. Here she is, back in business ( note the clever name ) ...

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I lost track of the number of eff bombs we let loose whilst watching. Bru-TAL. I think we tend to do such remarkable things when there IS no alternative, eh? Failing simply was NOT an option.

We are pretty damned remarkable animals, when weíre not gouging each otherís eyes out over stupid imagined differences.

I felt like I was back in school watching a film strip on a rainy day!

Itís wrong, but itís been used in English when teasing the Dutch since the seventeenth century!

Ah an old designed word, I learned something new, dank u mijnheer!

Although I was born and raised in IJmuiden I have never worked for Wijsmuller, which I regret now.
    It certainly was a remarkable company, with a global playing field. A couple of schoolmates and some later colleagues worked for Wijsmuller. They told me that during the heyday's of the company (60'-80's) it was one of the best companies to learn the high sea's salvage and towing trade. Although they sometimes had to do some very dangerous things during those rescue and salvage operations, they look back on their Wijsmuller job's with warm feelings.

Wow that was cool. And the 70s soundtrack was terrific.

Andrew, would Wismueller’s salvage award been on top
    of costs or did they have to pay those out of the $4 million?

The tug's visible in the Elwood Mead film are built in this short film.
    Last edited by dutchpp; 04-02-2021 at 11:51 AM.

I never had anything to do with Wijsmuller. I did work for the London salvage lawyers for Smit, Bugsier, Nippon, Vernicos, Matsas, Tsavliris, Malayan, Unterweser and my absolute favourite people, Doeksens.

Wijsmuller were reckoned to be willing to take bigger risks than anyone else. One of the reasons why they were a bit skint in 1972 was that they had just lost the Tojo Maru case in the House of Lords. The “Tojo Maru” was a tanker which had been in a collision and had a gash in the side. Wijsmuller got a Lloyd’s Form with their tug the “Jacob van Heemskerk” and decided that they needed to patch the hole before towing the “Tojo Maru” to safety.

A steel patch was prepared to be bolted in place using the usual underwater bolt gun in use in those days which was called a Cox gun. Whether this name is anything to do with Cox and Danks who raised the High Seas Fleet scuttled in Scapa Flow, I don’t know, but it might be.

https://www.divingheritage.com/tools_bolt_driving.htm

Anyway the Wijsmuller chief diver, whose name was Henk (?) Vis (why do I remember that?) was told NOT to fire the gun until the adjacent compartment was gas free, but he ignored this and there was a big bang (he was fine) and the “Tojo Maru”was in worse shape than ever. They got her into port and claimed salvage but the underwriters counter claimed for the cost of repairs - which was more than the salvage award so Wijsmuller ended up paying the shipowners.

The case went to the House of Lords who said that Wijsmuller should pay. I always thought that was a bit tough.

Now, in making a salvage claim the salvor can put their expenses in evidence or not as they choose. We usually advised against doing this, unless the salved fund was very small. I don’t know what Wijsmuller did in the “Elwood Mead” case, but I guess they would not have done.

So the expenses would come out of the US$4.2M
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 04-02-2021 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dutchpp View Post
    The tug's visible in the Elwood Mead film are built in this short film.
    Thank you! That was lovely! Took me back in time. I think I have been to all those places - there is a small yacht harbour a H-I Ambacht that I have very fond memories of - and I remember when I was a schoolboy and similar little shipyards were building little ships on the River Colne in my part of England.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 04-02-2021 at 04:59 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

So the expenses would come out of the US$4.2M
    I wonder what they netted, that was a lot of work and a great deal of equipment seems to have been destroyed, washed overboard in gales, etc.

Money was different then. I was earning £1,600 a year! Iron ore (I’ve just looked it up) was US$32-32 a ton, so the value of the hundred thousand tons or so that Wijsmuller brought in to Rotterdam after chucking 30,000 tons in the sea to get the ship afloat would be US$3.2 million or so. The ship being a CTL would have been valued at whatever Nick Frangos paid for her, which won’t have been much more than her scrap value. So here’s a graph of scrap prices for 1972-3:

Her light displacement tonnage (they built them thicker in those days) will have been about 28,000 tons, so if we take the scrap price at US$50/ton, that makes the salved value of the ship about US$1.4M, so the “salved fund” will have been (roughly) $3.2M + $1.4M = 4.6M and Wijsmuller rightly got most of it. As was fair; they were the only people who could have got ship and cargo off those rocks.

I do remember that Frank Wijsmuller did say that that salvage award put the company back in the black and cleared four years of trading losses, so I guess they did quite well.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Thanks for those figures Andrew. Very interesting.

Talking of the Cox Gun reminded me of the Kongsberg Gun which was used for tankers, in preference to the Schermuly rocket, when establishing the towage connection. I do remember these very well:

https://www.kvf.no/vaapen.php?type=F...ponid=FANG0004

As may be seen, it’s a slightly modified Mauser rifle, and it was developed from an earlier version used for whaling...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT