Default Re: Military style guns

???
    Attached Images Attached Images

No pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    No pistols?
    Way higher than the rifles. Which is, I think, part of the point.

????? Indeed. Someone has conveniently deleted a couple of 0’s from your image. Even scarier is that you appear to believe that those figures that you posted in that picture are correct without questioning it and checking it? How many people in the US are taken in by that sort of propaganda?

These figures below are corroborated by multiple sources.

Last edited by Larks; 04-15-2021 at 11:11 PM.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

So I'm confused. Snopes disputes the graphic in post 701, but also says there was 10372 firearms murders in 2016. Not sure if the difference is suicides, or...?

Of that, 6732 were where handguns were used. Many of the others are simply listed as "other". I expect the same ratio in suicides, or perhaps more bias towards handguns.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    So I'm confused. Snopes disputes the graphic in post 701, but also says there was 10372 firearms murders in 2016. Not sure if the difference is suicides, or...?

Of that, 6732 were where handguns were used. Many of the others are simply listed as "other". I expect the same ratio in suicides, or perhaps more bias towards handguns.
    Suicides. I can’t find actual figures quickly but I can see gun deaths per 100 and suicides looks to be something like 60% while murders about 40% - “Other" would be accidental shootings.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Suicides. I can’t find actual figures quickly but I can see gun deaths per 100 and suicides looks to be something like 60% while murders about 40% - “Other" would be accidental shootings.
    The “other”, in the case of what I was describing was effectively “unidentified firearm”. Could have been a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. So of the murders, it’s something over 70% handguns. With the pistols from the “other” category I’d expect it would be closer to 80%

Similar to a CZ but quite different in reality - better I reckon. I’ve shot pretty much every CZ model sold here in Oz and they do compare but I still always prefer going back to the Tanfo’. Mine’s a Gold Match Extreme https://tanfoglio.com.au/product/gold-match-xtreme/ (the colour isn’t anything like the weird web photo). Beautifully accurate - I use it primarily in NRA Action Match comp's.
    Quite similar actually, the action is the same as a CZ 75 but the match trigger is different and won't move far enough forward to reset for double action, so functions in single action only. You could convert back to double action simply by swapping in a D/A trigger. EAA arms sells the Tanfoglio designs in the USA.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    The “other”, in the case of what I was describing was effectively “unidentified firearm”. Could have been a pistol, rifle, or shotgun. So of the murders, it’s something over 70% handguns. With the pistols from the “other” category I’d expect it would be closer to 80%
    I wonder if it includes deaths from a police shooting? Also more likely to be from a handgun.

semi-auto rifles are now the most commonly owned rifle, the majority. It would be like trying to ban fiberglass boats. A worthy goal, but too late.
    Yeah, that would be like banning the Ford Pinto or something... almost impossible

https://abcnews.go.com/US/multiple-p...social_fb_abcn

Eight people were shot and killed and several others injured in a mass shooting Thursday night at a FedEx facility in Indianapolis, according to local authorities.
    When officers arrived at the scene just after 11 p.m. local time, it was an active shooter situation, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Genae Cook said during a media briefing.
    Police said the alleged shooter "has taken his own life."
    It is unclear how many people have been shot at this time or all their conditions, but multiple victims have been transported to various hospitals in the area, Cook said.
    At least four people were transported to the hospital in critical condition and three others with various gunshot injuries. Police said hospitals have also reported multiple walk-ins from the incident.
    "This is a sight that no one should see," Cook said during a media briefing.
    Thoughts and prayers anyone.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

Quote Originally Posted by Beagler View Post
    ???
    In the United States, 37,200 people died as a result of overall gun use in 2016,
    39,773 total gun deaths in 2017

39,740 deaths from firearms in the U.S. in 2018.

You get the picture.
    Last edited by WX; 04-16-2021 at 05:25 AM.

????? Indeed. Someone has conveniently deleted a couple of 0’s from your image. Even scarier is that you appear to believe that those figures that you posted in that picture are correct without questioning it and checking it? How many people in the US are taken in by that sort of propaganda?

These figures below are corroborated by multiple sources.

Goodness, we’re doing a lot better than Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Not really something to be proud of though eh.

What? A lot better at wiping people out? 37200 against 4050.......I don’t think this is a scenario where the highest score wins.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Brazil has both COVID freedom and gun freedom? If only I could learn a foreign language like Portuguese....
    "Deconstruction is not a method, and cannot be transformed into one" Jacques Derrida (1930–2004)

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    Brazil has both COVID freedom and gun freedom? If only I could learn a foreign language like Portuguese....
    I think with the modern translation apps available for most phones I think you could be very happy there, plus the weather is so much nicer in Brazil in January as opposed to KS, you should look into it.

You're a smart fellow Landrith, you could learn the language in no time, plus all those honeys on the beaches of Ipanema, ooh la la. Go for it!
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

We're worse than South Africa and Iraq?
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

At the very lowest at 0.2 deaths per 100,000, looks like we just need to be more like China. Otherwise, what's the purpose of the comparison? DISCUSS.

Quote Originally Posted by Landrith View Post
    And a covid death toll around 3,000 to 4,000 per day.
    Gun deaths are pretty high as well. 47,510 in 2017.
    You sure you want that much freedom.?
    Last edited by WX; 04-17-2021 at 03:43 AM.

One might consider civilian deaths from firearms collateral for a country that markets arms sales internationally so well. What’s the use of that firepower if you don’t use it?

https://tomdispatch.com/slaughter-central/

On this planet of ours, America is the emperor of weaponry, even if in ways we normally tend not to put together. There’s really no question about it. The all-American powers-that-be and the arms makers that go with them dream up, produce, and sell weaponry, domestically and internationally, in an unmatched fashion. You’ll undoubtedly be shocked, shocked to learn that the top five arms makers on the planet — Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and General Dynamics — are all located in the United States.

One might consider civilian deaths from firearms collateral for a country that markets arms sales internationally so well. What’s the use of that firepower if you don’t use it?

https://tomdispatch.com/slaughter-central/

On this planet of ours, America is the emperor of weaponry, even if in ways we normally tend not to put together. There’s really no question about it. The all-American powers-that-be and the arms makers that go with them dream up, produce, and sell weaponry, domestically and internationally, in an unmatched fashion. You’ll undoubtedly be shocked, shocked to learn that the top five arms makers on the planet — Lockheed Martin, Boeing, Northrop Grumman, Raytheon, and General Dynamics — are all located in the United States.
    (bold) None of whom make small arms for civilians. And, the few jobs that can't be outsourced to China or Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    (bold) None of whom make small arms for civilians. And, the few jobs that can't be outsourced to China or Mexico.
    Of course. My point being that our society values arms sales. Didn’t US domestic small arms manufacturing grow in the late 1800’s to early 1900’s on international small arms sales?
    Last edited by LeeG; 04-19-2021 at 02:28 AM.

What? A lot better at wiping people out? 37200 against 4050.......I don’t think this is a scenario where the highest score wins.
    The figures are somewhat misleading. in 2019, suicides were the greatest single contributor to total deaths at approx. 23,900 and homicides at 14,400. The greatest number of homicides were minorities in gangs involved in drug wars. Using handguns.

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Quote Originally Posted by Seabeau View Post
    The greatest number of homicides were minorities in gangs involved in drug wars. Using handguns.
    Ah, meaningless chaff and chattel, those minorities.

In other news, a dear friend of my son and his fiancee is bi-polar, and is having some trouble sorting dosages etc for a changed medication.

She self harmed, had the lad drive her to hospital on Saturday evening, and a few hours later attempted suicide. Strung herself up, as we live in Canada and she didn't actually have access to a firearm. Nor did either of her roommates have one she could "borrow" for the event. They none of them hunt, eh?

So E is alive this morning, and with her medication stabilizing she's really sad, horribly humiliated, but mostly glad to be alive still.

I'm grateful that she is too - a sweetheart, who has had quite a tough time, and shows the impacts of it. A ways to go yet, in what won't, for a few years yet anyway, be an easy life. She was born into a household involved in a criminal life, and for about a decade or so was a drug dealer herself - among other things, self-medicating for that bi-polar condition, she realizes.

Out of that life for 6-7 years now, and clean for a couple of years. But but having a hard, hard time finding a solid path, and self-forviveness. If she'd lived that story in America, tell me that she wouldn't have had a pistol or two from her time in the life, and as a consequence have been successful in her suicide attempt over the weekend.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    In other news, a dear friend of my son and his fiancee is bi-polar, and is having some trouble sorting dosages etc for a changed medication.

She self harmed, had the lad drive her to hospital on Saturday evening, and a few hours later attempted suicide. Strung herself up, as we live in Canada and she didn't actually have access to a firearm. Nor did either of her roommates have one she could "borrow" for the event. They none of them hunt, eh?

So E is alive this morning, and with her medication stabilizing she's really sad, horribly humiliated, but mostly glad to be alive still.

I'm grateful that she is too - a sweetheart, who has had quite a tough time, and shows the impacts of it. A ways to go yet, in what won't, for a few years yet anyway, be an easy life. She was born into a household involved in a criminal life, and for about a decade or so was a drug dealer herself - among other things, self-medicating for that bi-polar condition, she realizes.

Out of that life for 6-7 years now, and clean for a couple of years. But but having a hard, hard time finding a solid path, and self-forviveness. If she'd lived that story in America, tell me that she wouldn't have had a pistol or two from her time in the life, and as a consequence have been successful in her suicide attempt over the weekend.
    She would be Nathan; gone for nearly three years, and the hole seems to get bigger every day.

Yes. I am so very sorry for that hole in your life, Rob. Just awful.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Yes. I am so very sorry for that hole in your life, Rob. Just awful.
    I have this photo from before I was married; My Wife is there, just not my wife, yet, in the photo.

Of the thirteen people in the photo, three are still here; including the two of us...

Oh God, Rob. The pain, the pain.

I do feel lonely at times. Some of you will understand the daily guilt, too.

So much which more which shouldn't ever have been infringed. B#tches.

My privilege isn't restricted to being male, white, educated and middle class. It also includes not living with survivor guilt.

Biden specifically called out "assault weapons" as a target for legislation. Sure, the gun advocates will make the usual arguments trying to cloud the issue, as we have seen here, but he sees the connection as we all should.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

It also includes not living with survivor guilt.
    yeah, but

you have that whole guilt for being canadian thing going on. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.