Thread: Shelter Logic products?

Default Shelter Logic products?

Does anyone have any experience with using these storage sheds? I need something like this for boat storage. They retail through Home Depot and also Northern Tools. They are touted as rated for frisky wind and snow stress. I gather they need to be anchored (I should hope to cough up a kitten, as my mother in law used to say). I just wonder how long the (supposedly) UV resistant cloth lasts, and in general wonder how durable these rigs are.
    Many thanks!
    Andy

(John Dory by Oughtred)

Default Re: Shelter Logic products?

In our neck of the woods? If you get the snow-rated ones (steeper roof) & mount them to a flat surface & anchor them really well & protect them from sun - 3 to 4 years.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I have one 26 x 36. With the zipper end closures. Has been erected for more than 10 years, set up in a reasonably protected place with trees around, some pine, some cedar or spruce and mixed hardwoods. In Southern Massachusetts to give some sense of sun exposure. Disassembled and moved to my place, also in the woods. One man job to assemble one arch frame at a time with a tall stepladder then on cover day 2 helpers to pull the cover over. Easy enough.
    No issues. Sheds the snow- the bows are semi-circles. No problems. Got to be 12+ years now outside.

Down here, 2-3 years.

There is also the DIY option of the well-proven Stimson bow-roof shed:

https://www.by-the-sea.com/stimsonmarine/bowroof.html

Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Thanks all, for your feedback - I think I’ll also look into Matthew Long’s DIY suggestion !
    Andy

(John Dory by Oughtred)

I bought one four years ago. The frame shape is much better for snow load than an earlier fabric shelter with the roof framed more like the Greek Parthenon, which caved in under snow load. The standard Shelter Logic fabric ripped from end to end under high winds (while covered by a secondary tarp) in its third year, whereupon they told me it was only guaranteed for two years. Bought another fabric covering guaranteed ten years for $500+. It survived our last winter just fine, however, the city building dept has informed me that "temporary structures" are not permitted. I've found indoor storage for out boat and am in the process of disassembling the frame. I can make you a good deal of our Rockford, IL is reasonable for you.
    Last edited by Nicholas Scheuer; 03-23-2021 at 12:47 PM.

My Shelter Logic measures 12' X 20'.

Quote Originally Posted by beecher View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with using these storage sheds? I need something like this for boat storage. They retail through Home Depot and also Northern Tools. They are touted as rated for frisky wind and snow stress. I gather they need to be anchored (I should hope to cough up a kitten, as my mother in law used to say). I just wonder how long the (supposedly) UV resistant cloth lasts, and in general wonder how durable these rigs are.
    Many thanks!
    I have a couple of the corral shelter type like this:

I thought they went together well (better than I expected), seem reasonably sturdy and a decent value. Not sure about the fabric durability/lifespan. Mine have only been through one Montana winter so far and they seem to have weathered that well enough. They had about 15in. of snow on them at one time and have stood up to maybe 25-30mph gusts of wind. These kits came with (4) screw-in ground anchors.

I'm considering getting one of the 12'x20'x8' storage shelters for my tractor and some stuff until I can build a proper shed.