Thread: Seating tire beads

Default Seating tire beads

Put new tires on my trailer today.
    I have a harbor freight tire changer, and use balancing beads in the tires, so I can do them at home.
    Had some trouble though getting the stiff sidewall tires to even come close to being able to set the bead.
    This idea saved the day, and the trailer is sitting on a new pair of tires right now.
    I borrowed the tube out of my grandson's bike, and it was an 18" tube used to mount a 15" trailer tire/rim so there is some leeway...
    Hope it helps somebody...

Default Re: Seating tire beads

Thanks, I'll remember that.
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

That's clever I've always used the ratchet strap technique.

The ratchet strap by itself was not getting it. I guess the 10 ply tire was just way too stiff.
    One of them I did with the inner tube and a strap. The second one I got with just the tube with no strap.

I always resort to explosives. A quick shot with some starting fluid, stand back and toss a match at it. Woof---bang, seated and inflated...

Not for the faint of heart or "don't do this at home"

No starting fluid? Electric contact cleaner works too.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll put it in my quiver.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    I never used that method but it looks like it works pretty darn good. The method we used in the tire shop was a cargo strap with a ratchet tightener.
    The strap was placed around the perimeter and cranked down until the tire spread enough to set the beads.

I've spent a lot of hours on various tire mounting rigs. Most guys in the shop hated the job, but I dug it bigly, except for those killer split-ring truck tires.
    I worked with a guy who had about 30% of his face missing. It was from a split rim exploding inside an approved cage. I won't go anywhere near 'em.

The trick in the OP looks like a good one. However I have a garage 5 minutes from me who'll dismount & mount a tire for $10. More than happy to let someone else do it nowadays - though I've done thousands.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Nice tip, I'll have to remember that! I've seated tractor tires with an oxyacetylene torch a few times. Not too scary if you start conservative and work your way up with how many seconds of fuel you put in.

Thanks!

I've done the starting fluid method, but as I get older, "calm is good," becomes my motto in many things.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

No explosions for me....thanks anyhow...