Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Kurylko Alaska on the West Coast

Default Re: A Kurylko Alaska on the West Coast

Many years ago I was sailing a 12ft dinghy with a 12 year old boy on a local dam when a storm caught us. The wind gust knocked us flat and there we were clinging to the boat with the wind knocking the tops off the waves. I noticed that one of his shoes was floating away and I thought I should grab it...the little voice in my head said don't, people die doing that.
    We survived, the wind eased off and I got him in the boat bailing. I climbed in and we made it back to shore just as the big hail started coming down.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

On one of my early trips--2010, I think--I was sailing my little Bolger skiff Jagular on a blustery day on Lake Huron--maybe 3' waves? (Edit to add: THIS TRIP is the one I'm talking about). The rudder popped off the transom because I hadn't put the hold-down clip in, a couple of waves broke on board after we turned sideways, and one oar washed away. This was the start of a planned 3-week trip, and I knew I was going to need those oars, so I started leaning way over in a desperate attempt to grab it. I caught myself--same inner voice saying "a mile offshore, cold water, shipping lane" and gave up. I drifted downwind to a nearby island to re-group and camp, and the oar washed up on the shore later that evening.

It's easy to be tempted to do stupid things, that's for sure.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

A one-night trip in the heart of Milwaukee. I wanted to test my new rig and equipment before a longer trip. I launched at the public ramp on the north side of the harbor (McKinley). I sailed through the mooring field there and out into the main harbor, still behind the main break wall. I sailed down the main harbor, past South Shore Yacht Club and Park, and close along the shore inside the rock wall that extends another mile or so south from the park, parallel to shore. I anchored near the woods and shoreside bike path in about 8 feet of water, having sailed a total of about 5 miles. Had my dinner, my sleep and checked out my gear. In the morning I headed back. An excellent respite as well as a nice gear check. I'd draw a map and post it, but, man, I *cannot* figure out fotos on this site, no matter how good the explanations.

That Milwaukee trip sounds neat--exactly the kind of thing I meant about a small boat offering tiny little corners to explore and inhabit that you'd never reach (or even know it's there) without a boat. I lived near the old CG station on the south side of Milwaukee briefly during one summer 20+ years ago. Didn't have a boat with me, though.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures Tom. Itís good to see someone doing what others are only dreaming of. One day Iíll have my boat in the water.