Thread: You tube Rabbit hole: or, I Canít Find Good Wood, ANYWhere...

Default You tube Rabbit hole: or, I Canít Find Good Wood, ANYWhere...

Gosh, what a goofy film, but man what an awesome craft. These cats are the epitome of Rocketships From Dirt.

Default Re: You tube Rabbit hole: or, I Canít Find Good Wood, ANYWhere...

Well, I still want to use the bow drill and cut wood with a saw too. Duh.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Thumbs up Re: You tube Rabbit hole: or, I Canít Find Good Wood, ANYWhere...

After watching that, I will never take marine grade plywood for granted again.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

National Film Board used to put out countless films like that - was a core thing I remember from "social studies" classes in elementary school, and "filler" bits broadcast in the mornings on CBC television, back in the days when CBC TV didn't have commercials, at least at that time of day.

I'm sure that various would critique the portrayal here as somehow colonialist, but what I'm left with is the impression of folks telling their own stories, in their own voices, showing us incredible skills and resourcefulness. And at the same time, not taking themselves too seriously - joking and playing and ribbing each other like anybody else you might meet.

And yeah, I'm sure that's gone now. helluva loss. You know anyone who can make such a striking and useful craft out of driftwood, constructed with tools made from bits of scrap iron and steel they found in some bit of a wreck or a pile of what someone else thought was garbage?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    National Film Board used to put out countless films like that - was a core thing I remember from "social studies" classes in elementary school, and "filler" bits broadcast in the mornings on CBC television, back in the days when CBC TV didn't have commercials, at least at that time of day.

I'm sure that various would critique the portrayal here as somehow colonialist, but what I'm left with is the impression of folks telling their own stories, in their own voices, showing us incredible skills and resourcefulness. And at the same time, not taking themselves too seriously - joking and playing and ribbing each other like anybody else you might meet.

And yeah, I'm sure that's gone now. helluva loss. You know anyone who can make such a striking and useful craft out of driftwood, constructed with tools made from bits of scrap iron and steel they found in some bit of a wreck or a pile of what someone else thought was garbage?

Yes. Yes I do.

National Film Board used to put out countless films like that. . .
    there was an excellent film which i now can't find on the building of a bark canoe, really enjoyed that and wish i could find it
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    there was an excellent film which i now can't find on the building of a bark canoe, really enjoyed that and wish i could find it
    I know the one you mean, I think. I like that one, too...

love me some haitian sloops

I'll find the bark canoe one shortly - have it bookmarked somewhere. In the meantime - you've seen this? Utterly classic, vintage NFB stuff.

While we're on the topic .. something related.

The rabbit hole that brought me was a Fulaga canoe. A renowned canoe builder was building a new canoe and died, and his brothers finished.
    I can post them, too. Dudes ripping planks from a log with a chainsaw in flip flop sandals. Itís righteous stuff.

that's wonderful stuff, Rob. Thank you.

Blue tarp sail. I call "fake news."

This is the one that reeled me in...

I think I remember that film about the birchbark canoe as well Paul. Another one was a couple of French Canadians building a small boat from grown crooks, all by eye. I borrowed the VHF of that from the library as a kid innumerable times.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post

This is the one that reeled me in...
    finally, i have been looking for this vedio for years

I wanna build a birchbark canoe now.

Quote Originally Posted by Domesticated_Mr. Know It All View Post
    After watching that, I will never take marine grade plywood for granted again.
    If it sparked curiosity - check out the kayak books from my friend Harvey Golden. He's traveled the world researching the topic, and writes well. Also runs the Lincoln Street Kayak & Canoe Museum here.

Kayaks of Greenland was the first. Kayaks of Alaska the next. Get 'em from the library... they are huge, and not cheap.

http://www.traditionalkayaks.com/books.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

From the title, I thought perhaps they were going to use marine mammal bones. But looks like wood. I saw the flat deck and thought it must be for cargo, as a peaked deck sheds waves better, and that was verified in the end.

In 2002 I first saw skinboats built, mostly in the traditional manner with cedar wood strips, tied together with heavy thread, but covered by white nylon pack cloth that was obtained before color, shrinking, and coating, sewn on tight, carefully heat shrunk with iron, then colored, then coated with a urethane coating I think.
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

4C9E71D5-776E-4C43-A3A4-8DFC6A0A51C5.jpg

The title is based on the constant refrain, “I can’t find good wood, anywhere...” from cats living in the modern world.

This frame is the first boat I built all by myself. I’d still paddle it, if I could.

I'll find the bark canoe one shortly - have it bookmarked somewhere. In the meantime - you've seen this? Utterly classic, vintage NFB stuff.
    Love the book and Movie, which I saw as a young kid. The book was one of my favorite that I got to share with my son during Story Time.

While we're on the topic .. something related.
    Have watched Bill Mason’s videos many times over trying to learn how to paddle a canoe.
    Mucho respect to Mr. Mason.

Ralphie