Thread: Cork decking

Default Cork decking

Does anyone have any experience with marine cork decking? What are your thoughts? I知 not installing a deck or anything, I just stumbled across the concept today. I知 intrigued!

For example: https://seacorkfloor.com/cork-decking-for-boats/

Default Re: Cork decking

I have snap-together cork in our downstairs bath and utility rooms. It's warm and quiet, but I'll need to replace it in another few years...it's pretty soft and is wearing. Sea Cork could be a very different product (and I'm sure it is) but I wonder how it'd hold up to ground tackle and spin poles?

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

I picked up a sample a the Boat Show in Mystic some years ago. I've been considering it for the deck of my Beg-Meil. I left it outside to weather for about 3 years. It seemed to hold together well, but it did turn grey - much like weathered teak. It did not, however, survive the puppy, so the weathering test was cut short. I like the fact that it is thin, light, and can be easily cut/shaped to fit the deck. Once I get the deck on, I will revisit the idea.

It will be fine for a deck that suffers only bare feet or soft shoes. It will survive the occasional whack from an anchor or spinnaker pole end as well as most other decking materials. It would not hold up well on a working boat deck.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Interesting though it still seems like quite a bit of work since it must still be cut to fit, glued down, trimmed, edged, caulked, sanded, and finished. It does make me wonder if you could use cork flooring, glued down or floating, to good effect on a boat, say for the pilothouse or cabin sole.

Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Interesting. I’ve got snap-lock cork in my house. About 1500 square feet. For 10 years or so. No signs of wear. And I’ve has some big dogs doing their best to scratch it up. Sealed with hardening oil so maybe that made the difference.

Quote Originally Posted by cluttonfred View Post
    Interesting though it still seems like quite a bit of work since it must still be cut to fit, glued down, trimmed, edged, caulked, sanded, and finished. It does make me wonder if you could use cork flooring, glued down or floating, to good effect on a boat, say for the pilothouse or cabin sole.
    It may work, but I would be concerned with swelling and shrinkage which may cause it to buckle of have gaps. If you are going to use it, you might as well use it correctly.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.