Thread: Replacement for Fein random orbit sander

Default Replacement for Fein random orbit sander

https://link.shutterfly.com/Czdtyc8wmeb

UhOh ; It looks like the end of the line for my Fein RO sander. I'm told parts are no longer available for a tool this old ;I can't even read the model number .The question is ;what can replace it ? Fein service and repair was expensive and slow ; I had to mail the tool off ,and the rebuild cost about as much as a new tool .It did then last a long time.

Festool seems like the logical next step .How is their service ? A feature I've long wanted that they have is the power cord to the sander encased with the vac hose in a single umbilical . I would often marl the cord and vac hose together with twine when useing my Fein stuff. Any other RO sanders in this league ?I've still got my Fein Vac.

Default Re: Replacement for Fein random orbit sander

My Festool sander is approaching twenty years and all it’s needed is brushes.
    I have the impression that there are others that are pretty good and less costly.

I have an older version of the 6" RO from Bosch. I've found it to be excellent. Vacuum and cord are still separate though.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...5-6n-200696-p/

If you like(d) the Fein, then I think you'll really like the Festool. I have limited experience driving the Festool but that taught me it's a smoother machine... by far. I too have a 6" Fein that is a workhorse with zero problems in nearly 20 years. But that sucker is not a smooth sanding machine. It's not horrible and has never bothered me enough to pitch it, but I wish could have opted for the Festool. The local dealer didn't have them though. They did three months later. sigh....

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Perkins View Post
    https://link.shutterfly.com/Czdtyc8wmeb

UhOh ; It looks like the end of the line for my Fein RO sander. I'm told parts are no longer available for a tool this old ;I can't even read the model number .The question is ;what can replace it ? Fein service and repair was expensive and slow ; I had to mail the tool off ,and the rebuild cost about as much as a new tool .It did then last a long time.

Festool seems like the logical next step .How is their service ? A feature I've long wanted that they have is the power cord to the sander encased with the vac hose in a single umbilical . I would often marl the cord and vac hose together with twine when useing my Fein stuff. Any other RO sanders in this league ?I've still got my Fein Vac.

You can get Festool vac hoses with an integral power cord. It's outside the vac hose, not internal, but there you go.

Get a Festool vac while you're at it. You jack the power tool into the vac along with the vac hose. Power up the tool and the vac powers up; power down and the vac powers down.

You'd think the EU has stringent industrial safety regs or something.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

And you'll like the Festool Rotax. The eccentricity in the random orbital actin is adjustable all the way down to zero.

Festool is also designed to be... repairable and maintainable. Quelle horreur! Downright unamerican.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Get a Festool vac while you're at it. You jack the power tool into the vac along with the vac hose. Power up the tool and the vac powers up; power down and the vac powers down.
    My Fein vac does that. Even when I use my Festool sander...

It's not that European industrial safety regs... it's that contractors don't "clean up beyond their immediate mess". If they make a lot of dust, they have to hire the cleaning person to do that. At least that has been my experience in Germany. I live not far from the Festool factory. I used to drive past it on my way to/from hockey (at least when we could do group sporting activities). Everything is highly specialized...
    Heute ist so ein schöne Tag...

Lukes; thanks for posting the Bosh .Leading the dust port to the back of the tool makes allot of sense to me .I could be happy with that .

My Festool sanders are the best Ive ever owned.

My buddy who is a restorer and builder of mahogany inboards swears by Mirka.https://mirka-online.com/mid550-912-...xoCSK0QAvD_BwE