Thread: Let's play Jeopardy! Do you know the answer?

Default Let's play Jeopardy! Do you know the answer?

This was one of the questions given on the quiz show Jeopardy! on February 25, 2021. None of the three contestants knew the answer. Do you?

The hero of the action in question was Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (born Lawrence Joshua Chamberlain, September 8, 1828 – February 24, 1914). He was an American college professor from Maine who volunteered during the American Civil War to join the Union Army. He became a highly respected and decorated Union officer, reaching the rank of brigadier general (and brevet major general). He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his gallantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he served as Governor of Maine, and the President of Bowdoin College.

Chamberlain died of his lingering wartime wounds in 1914 in Portland, Maine, at the age of eighty-five. He is interred at Pine Grove Cemetery in Brunswick, Maine. Beside him as he died was Dr. Abner O. Shaw of Portland, one of the two surgeons who had operated on him in Petersburg 50 years previously. A full study of his medical history strongly suggests that it was complications from the wound suffered at Petersburg that resulted in his death. He was the last Civil War veteran to die as a result of wounds from the war and considered by some the last casualty of the war.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-03-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    “Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.” ― Kurt Vonnegut

Default Re: Let's play Jeopardy! Do you know the answer?

Little Round Top...

What is "Round Top"?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Correct. I have always liked the depiction of the action at Little Round Top in the film Gettysburg. Jeff Daniels portrays Colonel Joshua Chamberlian in the film. Little Round Top was the action where Chamberlain earned his Medal of Honor.

1883 – Gettysburg – An assortment of Union and Confederate Generals assembled on Cemetery Hill twenty years after the battle. Generals Longstreet and Sickles side by side and General Howard with his foot on a dismounted tube. A portion of the original caption for the photo read" "'The dismounted gun, upon the breech of which Gen. O.O. Howard has placed his foot, is typical, let us hope, of a soil that will never again be deluged with the blood of fratricidal strife..."

Source: York Daily Record

The Confederates in the photo are Latrobe, Alexander, Longstreet and Mahone.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-03-2021 at 07:07 PM.

Y'see, there's this one-way bleed-over of American history into Canada; I knew the answer to that question when I watched the show. Sadly, it seems that the bleed-over doesn't go the other way - without googling, how many of you Americans can answer a Canadian history question, such as, "What Canadian politician, a founder of the province of Manitoba, and a political leader of the Métis people in pre-Manitoba Northwest Territories led two resistance movements against the government of Canada land its first post-Confederation prime minister, John A. Macdonald, and was hanged for his efforts?"
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I've actually walked on Little Round Top.

I know! I know! (Squirms in his seat, waves hand frantically!) Louis Riel! The battle of Batoche, gatling guns and all. There was a song Connie Kaldor sung, and another by Gordon Bok; that's how I know about it. We certainly never studied it in school.

Last edited by Keith Wilson; 03-03-2021 at 06:56 PM.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

That's weird, the OP didn't even look like a question to me.
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

Specifically, the correct answer is, “What is Little Round Top”. It is Jeopardy, after all.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    That's weird, the OP didn't even look like a question to me.
    That’s because that’s the answer, they’re looking for the question. But you knew that.

I've stood there many times. It's a very moving experience.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Specifically, the correct answer is, “What is Little Round Top”. It is Jeopardy, after all.
    Thank you. My gosh, it is an embarrassment to our forum that we have a Jeopardy thread and people do not realize they are giving questions to answers. I realize that many of us are somewhat in the dark about much of pop culture, but geeze.

Little Round Top is very moving once you see the charts on how the forces moved, but walking down the hill into the Valley of Death, up through The Boulders, and then walking Picket's Charge quickly explains how so many people could die in such a small space.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    That’s because that’s the answer, they’re looking for the question. But you knew that.
    Thanks. No, I didn't know that, I've never played nor watched the game. Now I get it.
    Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell and have them look forward to the journey.
    Winston Churchill.

Neither have I, didn't get the subtlety of the question either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    This was one of the questions given on the quiz show Jeopardy! on February 25, 2021. None of the three contestants knew the answer. Do you?

The hero of the action in question was Colonel Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain (born Lawrence Joshua Chamberlain, September 8, 1828 – February 24, 1914). He was an American college professor from Maine who volunteered during the American Civil War to join the Union Army. He became a highly respected and decorated Union officer, reaching the rank of brigadier general (and brevet major general). He was awarded the Medal of Honor for his gallantry at the Battle of Gettysburg. Following the war, he served as Governor of Maine, and the President of Bowdoin College.

Chamberlain died of his lingering wartime wounds in 1914 in Portland, Maine, at the age of eighty-five. He is interred at Pine Grove Cemetery in Brunswick, Maine. Beside him as he died was Dr. Abner O. Shaw of Portland, one of the two surgeons who had operated on him in Petersburg 50 years previously. A full study of his medical history strongly suggests that it was complications from the wound suffered at Petersburg that resulted in his death. He was the last Civil War veteran to die as a result of wounds from the war and considered by some the last casualty of the war.
    Yes, hell yes!!

Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    Thanks. No, I didn't know that, I've never played nor watched the game. Now I get it.
    I’m surprised that it’s not been franchised around the world. It’s the only game show worth watching, no screaming or jumping or dancing or hoopla, just three contestants in a highbrow trivia palooza. Although they compete for cash I suspect most, are there for the right to brag that they were on Jeopardy.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Longino View Post
    Little Round Top...
    Agree, thanks for the confirmation. Don't know why people didn't know this.Oh wait, NEVERMIND!

I’m surprised that it’s not been franchised around the world. It’s the only game show worth watching, no screaming or jumping or dancing or hoopla, just three contestants in a highbrow trivia palooza. Although they compete for cash I suspect most, are there for the right to brag that they were on Jeopardy.
    A friend made it 3 days (IOW 2 wins). He said the testing leading up to it was intense & that the # of intelligent people there was very high - including Alex Trebec. I've always found the show to be very interesting.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

We burned out on Jeopardy when Ken Jennings got beat finally.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Agreed. There was a brief time when I enjoyed the trivia game "who wants to be a millionaire", but I lost interest fairly quickly. I seldom watch Jeopardy, but I always enjoy it when I do. It seems to do everything just right. And the Black Jeopardy on SNL are some of their funniest skits ever.

A student I met in grad school at the University of Idaho won over $150,000 on Jeopardy, over several days of winning. He said getting the timing right on the buzzer was crucial--if you clicked too soon, it would lock you out for a few moments, and you'd end up too late.

https://lmtribune.com/northwest/fina...1a9223ba7.html

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

What is Little Roundtop? and that is purely a guess.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

It probably has been broadcast in my part of the world, I watch hardly any broadcast TV these days, and if screened a few years ago I must have missed it.
    Winston Churchill.

Confederates on the march through Frederick, Maryland in 1864. Notice that most are wearing slouch hats and that sergeants are posted on the flanks of the column to keep them moving and prevent straggling. A few soldiers have turned to look up at the photographer.

On this spot: Two history buffs debunk the story of a famous Civil War photo

This photo of Confederate soldiers marching through Frederick, Md., was thought to have been taken in 1862. Amateur researchers Paul Bolcik and Erik Davis determined it was taken in 1864, and around the corner from where it was once thought to have been made.

By John Kelly
    Columnist
    June 5, 2018 at 8:25 p.m. EDT

A few years ago, Paul Bolcik and Erik Davis stood on East Patrick Street in Frederick, Md., looking at a Civil War historical marker. On the plaque was one of the most famous images from that conflict: the only known candid photograph of Confederate soldiers on the march.

Reproduced in countless books, it shows nearly 100 men, most with rifles resting on their right shoulders, a few looking toward the camera, their faces inscrutable.

And to think it was taken on that very street in 1862!

Except, it wasn’t. In April, after three years of painstaking research, Bolcik and Davis revealed that the picture was actually taken around the corner in 1864.

This is a big deal in the world of Civil War photography.

“It’s one of the most compelling photographs — and candid photographs — of the Civil War,” said Bob Zeller, president of the Center for Civil War Photography, whose journal published the pair’s findings.

We’re still fighting the Civil War. We wrestle with big issues: Why was the war fought? What is its legacy? And we argue over little ones, too. That’s what drew Bolcik, a landscaper from Rockville, Md., and Davis, a Frederick cartographer, to that photo.

As they stood on East Patrick Street, two things bothered them: Downtown Frederick hasn’t changed that much, but they couldn’t get details from 1862 to line up with today. Also, where were the bayonets?

“By the mid- to late war a lot of the Southern troops had tossed away their bayonets,” Bolcik said. The soldiers decided the rifle-mounted blades were just so much extra weight.

Since you can’t see any bayonets on the dozens of soldiers’ rifles in the Frederick photo, they figured it must have been taken later than 1862.

But there was a clue: At the lower right of the photo is a sign for Rosenstock’s, a dry goods and clothing store.

“I said to Erik, ‘Look, the only way we can figure out the mystery is to figure out exactly where this guy Rosenstock’s store was during the war,’” Bolcik said.

After the war, Rosenstock’s was on East Patrick Street, but after months of poring through microfilm at the C. Burr Artz Public Library in Frederick, Bolcik discovered a tiny ad that placed it on North Market Street in 1860.

Even more promising: The store was below the studio of a prominent Frederick photographer, Jacob Byerly.

Things started to fall into place.

To Bolcik and Davis, the question had always been: How had the photo been taken? It appeared to have been snapped surreptitiously from a second- or third-floor window. Photography was complicated back then. Could the equipment have been carted up there?

But if the photographer was already in place and enemy troops just happened to march by . . .

Confederate troops came through Frederick twice: once in September 1862 during Robert E. Lee’s first invasion of the North and again on July 9, 1864, on their way to the Battle of Monocacy. While Frederick residents may have been supportive of the troops early in the war — Maryland was full of Southern sympathizers — by 1864 many were tired of the conflict, especially since the Confederates had informed Frederick’s banks that the town would be torched unless they forked over $200,000 in ransom.

It’s easy to imagine the nervousness with which Byerly tripped the shutter.

“It was a complete rush job, an on-the-spot moment of opportunity,” Bolcik said. A thumbprint on the lower left of the photo may be from the harried photographer smudging chemicals on the glass negative. The edges of the photo are blurred, suggesting there wasn’t time to swap out a portrait lens for a landscape lens.

The article in the journal Battlefield Photographer, co-written by Craig Heberton IV, is loaded with the sort of minutiae that have fed the study of Civil War photographs. For years, buffs argued over the precise location on the Gettysburg, Pa., battlefield where photographer Alexander Gardner took images of dead soldiers. In 1967, William Frassanito ended the speculation by finding a distinctive split rock, a large boulder that is still where it was in 1863.

Bolcik and Davis had their own split-rock moment when they attached an iPhone to the end of a 22-foot long pole and lifted it above North Market Street, hoping to re-create the angle from Byerly’s studio — and to not be mistaken for peeping Toms as the phone swayed outside of what is now an apartment.

Everything lined up, including hatchways on the sidewalk that lead to cellars.

As for that historical marker around the corner, it was a bear to install because of the multiple utilities that run beneath it.

“It figures it would turn out to be in the wrong spot,” said John Fieseler, executive director of the Tourism Council of Frederick County.

They’re looking into correcting it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...2b1_story.html