Thread: Wooden Boat model

Default Wooden Boat model

The Wooden Boat shop has come out with a new model at the beginner's level. I know there are modelers here, so I thought I'd show it. I really like this!

"Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

Default Re: Wooden Boat model

Looks nice!

Jeff C

It's $55 and I suppose a simple set of plans would be cheaper. The build does not look complicated. It just looks so authentic to me.
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

That looks like an ice yacht to me, I don't think it's a boat.

Dwedais "Gwirion", nid "Twp"

DN, right? The problem with them around here is that you need the lakes to be frozen, but with essentially no snow. No problem with the first, but most years it snows too much. They've fun to watch; unbelievably fast by liquid water standards.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    It's $55 and I suppose a simple set of plans would be cheaper. The build does not look complicated. It just looks so authentic to me.
    You can get free plans from the DN association website https://www.idniyra.org/about/specifications/

quite simple craft, but the model would be easier.

I would love to try an Ice Sailor. They look like a lot of very brutal fun. I talked to a guy who owned one once, he said you can do about two or three runs and then you have to call it a day because you are so beaten up.

On that same note, I wonder if any of the Islands here allow land sailors on the beaches?
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Brutal? Not really, but the typical afternoon on the ice tends to be a series of several runs lasting maybe ten to fifteen minutes before it's time to stop for a bit and warm up. Unlike summer sailing there really isn't time to relax while the iceboat is moving. You generally have two speeds - (1) where the boat won't move because there isn't enough wind or (2) really fast, so you had better be paying close attention to your sailing.

We haven't had good ice with minimal snow here for about the last five years. The guys who race seriously generally never know if or where their weekend regattas will be held until Friday, and they may need to drive to a different state just depending on where clear ice might be. Our two-set Arrow model sits unused and leaned up against the wall in the garage. I'd like to get a chance to use it sometime before I get too old to mess with it.

A1.jpg

A3.jpg

DN (named after the Detroit News, which commissioned the design).

https://www.idniyra.org/getting-started/

Plans freely available at https://www.idniyra.org/about/specifications/ (4 11x17 sheets), or you can buy a printed copy for $25.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I'll never get to sail an Ice yacht, but I have sailed a land yacht on a big carpark and then a long, long beach. Fast and exhilirating…. but I prefer a boat. 20" bicycle wheels and a sloop rig.
    I have also built and attempted to sail a bicycle-yacht………… I should have had a helmet, and I lost lots of skin.