Thread: CPES in Canada?

Default CPES in Canada?

I'm restoring and refinishing my grandfather's Ayckroyd 1935 catboat. This one has an ornamental deck of strips of walnut and cedar. It's in good shape, so I think I'll varnish it. But first I'd like to treat it with a penetrating epoxy.

Smith's may not be available in Canada. The only source I have is Noah's, in 10-gal quantities, which obviously I don't need, and for over $1200.

I generally don't use this sort of product. Can anyone recommend a similar penetrating epoxy?

Thanks,

Dave

Default Re: CPES in Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    I'm restoring and refinishing my grandfather's Ayckroyd 1935 catboat. This one has an ornamental deck of strips of walnut and cedar. It's in good shape, so I think I'll varnish it. But first I'd like to treat it with a penetrating epoxy.

Smith's may not be available in Canada. The only source I have is Noah's, in 10-gal quantities, which obviously I don't need, and for over $1200.

I generally don't use this sort of product. Can anyone recommend a similar penetrating epoxy?

Thanks,

Dave
    I've used System Three's S-1 sealer over yellow and red cedars, it has worked well. The cedar didn't take paint well, and the first attempt with the paint manufacturer's sealer peeled in under a year. Scraped it back to wood, sealed with S-1 and repainted, the paint looks good two years later.

If you use S-1, be sure to let it stand after you've mixed it. I don't have the instructions in front of me but a professional boat builder friend tells me it should stand for an hour before applying to be sure it will cure properly.

Jamie

"If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Cheesiest promo video ever! Quite deliberate, I think. (I hope!) Totally 1962 music and commentary and idiotic grins. Very amusing!

RotFix | Penetrating Epoxy Wood Sealer – System Three Resins
    Last edited by Dave Hadfield; 02-27-2021 at 12:09 PM.

As alternative to Smiths - S1 (what jamie said)
    It should sit a while, not necessarily an hour, but for a while
    S1 has more solids than Smiths, not quite as deadly stinky as Smiths.
    You can build thickness with 2 or 3 coats - at which point I have found, it may have some amine blush. Thoroughly rinse with water.
    Also fine to use as a single sealer coat, followed by paint primer varnish etc.

S1 is the best primer I have ever used. Just use one coat. It will still be slightly porous due to evaporation of the solvents. I think that's what makes it such a great primer.

Thanks for the replies. S1 is what I'll use.

Dave