Thread: Apple Watch

Default Apple Watch

My wife and I are in a research program, we volunteered and were selected and were each given an Apple Watch 6. Johnson & Johnson and Stanford U are studying atrial fibrillation.. You had to be over 65 and never been diagnosed with atrial fibrillation.
    One of the things this watch does is remind you to stand up and move once an hour.
    If you do so, you get a congratulatory message. Because I have to go pee at least once an hour, I'm always congratulated.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Default Re: Apple Watch

Does the watch also log heartbeat? Or is it just a reminder and they will compare long term results of people under different regimens?
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

My sister has a watch that recently warned her of afib. It was late at night during the snow and freezing weather in Texas. She waited until the next day to contact her doctor. I have also experienced it a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob (oh, THAT Bob) View Post
    Does the watch also log heartbeat? Or is it just a reminder and they will compare long term results of people under different regimens?
    It monitors our level of activity, heartrate, how far we've walked etc. Every once in a while we get a message asking us to use the watch's Sinus Rhythm app. You hold a button for 30 seconds with your fingertip. All the info from about 10,000 participants goes to Apple, J&J, and Stanford.

Do you get to keep the watches?

We really do sit way too much to be health. Since I hurt my back, I can’t really sit comfortably. I’m either standing or laying down. Maybe it will pay off in the long run.

It’s strange how difficult it is to find a app that will chime once an hour.

TV remotes are not helping. Put them by the tv so you have to get up to change volume or channels.

I watch grapes.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Get rid of all your eyeglasses but one pair. You'll easily spend half of your waking time on your feet looking for them. And when you find them, it'll be time to pee again anyway. Win win. You'll be able to see to write your name in the snow.
    Speak softly and carry a mouthful of marbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Do you get to keep the watches?
    Keep the watches, plus $250 for wearing them.

Darn. I don't care about the watch but I too want to be congratulated for peeing. Better yet, a monetary reward. At even a nickel a pee, I'd be rich in no time!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    One of the things this watch does is remind you to stand up and move once an hour.
    If you do so, you get a congratulatory message. Because I have to go pee at least once an hour, I'm always congratulated.
    If only such a scene appeared in Demolition Man!
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Keep the watches, plus $250 for wearing them.
    Damn we are part of the J&J Covid trial and all we got was a digital thermometer and $160 per visit.
    We both have an Apple Watch but thats a sweet deal.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

I have a Fitbit watch that is set to prompt me to stand and walk a set distance every hour. It's a good prompt. I'm not sure I would want personal health information in the cloud.
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Curious - does this study correlate other co-morbidities? I'd be esp. curious obstructive sleep apnea.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Afib hit me like a ton of brick. I was coming out of the bathroom at about 5.00 am and I collapsed. Eventually I crawled into bed and some one called the EMTs (Great Guys). Pulse was erratic and 160, and off to the hospital for three days.

My wife had Afib and did not know it until an observant doctor noticed and took an EKG. Her only symptom was swollen ankles even though her pulse was 160 and erratic. Afib is sneaky.