Thread: Lag bolt equivalent of lock-tite

Default Lag bolt equivalent of lock-tite

Iím looking for something to put on some lag bolts that will help ensure they donít loosen over time. Predrilled and tightened up, but Iíd like something to encourage compliance with the program. I was thinking some tite bond squirted in the hole or along the threads. Or some type of silicone caulk. Iíd like to avoid something permanent like epoxy. Itís for barn door track brackets that will not be able to be through bolted.

Any recommendations appreciated. Thanks

If you bed them in epoxy, you will always be able to remove them by applying heat to the screw heads, which will soften the epoxy.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: Lag bolt equivalent of lock-tite

Use hot-dipped galvanized lags. They will become one with the wood and will not loosen. Do not use those chincy "zink coated" lags from BOBS.

Big Old Box Store?

When I was a kid, my dad tore down old barns that were slated for demolition in the "build a zillion shopping centers & developments" era of southwestern Connecticut - aka the 60's. When I was about 12 or so my dad had to take down a barn in a hurry. It was all post & beam - approx 200 years old - and he chainsawed all the joints & braces because it was that or have them burn it. I asked why not just drive the pegs out & he gave me a joint - Oak 8x12 into 12x12 oak with mortise & tenon & a driven peg.

I spent hours with a drift & hammer, gave up & drilled the peg out. Still took a sledge to get it apart.

So - if you really want the joint to last...
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Forget using regular lag screws. Get some Simpson SD Connector Screws. Drive them with an impact driver. You'll never look back.

https://www.strongtie.com/strongdriv...onnector-screw

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I asked why not just drive the pegs out & he gave me a joint - Oak 8x12 into 12x12 oak with mortise & tenon & a driven peg.

I spent hours with a drift & hammer, gave up & drilled the peg out. Still took a sledge to get it apart.

So - if you really want the joint to last...
    And that oak was probably fairly green when placed, pegs made from black locust if it grows anywhere near where they built those barns.

Might have been 'traded' for, brought from pretty far away it would perform nearly like a forged iron pin once the joint'd dried & shrunk.

BL grows like a weed where it's become naturalized, being of the legume family it spreads by underground runners.

...and I'll second the motion to go with galvanized lag bolts and not worry about it. They just won't loosen unless the wood around them rots out.
    -Dave

The simpson are the best connectors I’ve run across but limited to 1/4 as far as I’ve seen.

”he gave me a joint”. I had to read that a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Forget using regular lag screws. Get some Simpson SD Connector Screws. Drive them with an impact driver. You'll never look back.

https://www.strongtie.com/strongdriv...onnector-screw
    Those're tough customers, yeah. They're intended to be used with Simpson's line of framing reinforcements where recommended nails would be difficult or impossible to install.

Not sure if they're available in the size our OP might want / need to use.

I'll add a second for the hot-dipped lag screw suggestion above.

Hillman has them in their product line, ought to be available in any reasonably large hardware store's fastener isle.

McMaster has 'em too, including some with a flanged head which may be even better, and a wider range of sizes.

I'm thinking our OP's looking for something in the 5/16" - 7/16" diameter range, maybe 3" or longer.
    Last edited by sp_clark; 03-01-2021 at 09:27 PM. Reason: corrected linked URL

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    And that oak was probably fairly green when placed, pegs made from black locust if it grows anywhere near where they built those barns.

Might have been 'traded' for, brought from pretty far away it would perform nearly like a forged iron pin once the joint'd dried & shrunk.

BL grows like a weed where it's become naturalized, being of the legume family it spreads by underground runners.
    Bet they were. Black Locust fenceposts were common in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    The simpson are the best connectors I’ve run across but limited to 1/4 as far as I’ve seen.

”he gave me a joint”. I had to read that a couple of times.
    Ha! Didn't think of that. While I am quite sure he tried that while in college, he never shared any with me.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green