Thread: Looking for plans to replace my Bolger Pointy Skiff

Default Looking for plans to replace my Bolger Pointy Skiff

My sons and I built a Pointy Skiff about 7 years ago when my oldest was 7. This weekend during a storm the boat was crushed and is beyond repair. It was a sad discovery for us all. We like to fish a small lake that prohibits power.

we have decided to build another boat. What we liked about the Pointy Skiff was that it was light enough for one person to load in the back of the truck, it fit four people (two adults and two boys) and was easy to build.

it was 10 1/2 feet long, and I am thinking we need to stay in that range.

if anyone has recommendations I would appreciate it

thank you,
    Zachariah

Default Re: Looking for plans to replace my Bolger Pointy Skiff

You could fit four in a Pointy Skiff?
    It might be best to simply build another if you liked the first so much.

The nice things about Bolgers little Pointy Skiff is that it has SEATS, and it's very burdensome for such a little boat.

Most skiffs in this size range don't, and the occupants just sprall as best they can and maybe use a portable seat of one kind or the other for rowing. That's what I do in my boat, a skiff just a bit longer, David Beedes Summer Breeze. Two adults max it out -

48246250821_b952ac6152_o.jpg

image004.jpg

I once built the "200 dollar" version of Bolgers Featherwind, which would certainly take four, but again, no seats -

SAM_7241.JPG

Plenty of similar skiffs that are primarily sailing skiffs but will row well enough like Bolgers Windsprint design. His June Bug is narrow and isn't going to work with four.

As the kids age you'll need a bigger boat eventually, so maybe now is the time to bite the bullet and build something a bit larger?

H.H Payson company does have plans for the slightly longer (12') Fisherman's Skiff.
    It's similar but the building method is a bit different.

Do you want something fancy?

Pygmy Boats has a kit for a 14' wherry that will take four people. It's a bit pricey though, but a beautiful boat. Might wind up being the nicest rowboat on your lake! Being a kit boat I don't imagine you'd have any trouble building it.
    https://www.pygmyboats.com/boats/win...wboat-kit.html

I suggest maybe looking at the Duckworks site, under "plans by type" - Rowboats -

https://duckworks.com/plans/rowboats/

You'll find lots of good stuff there if you dig around awhile, like Linnet -
    https://duckworks.com/linnet-plans/

Good luck with the hunt, and let us know what you pick!

Bob?

Thank you for the reply. Yes four; wife in the bow, boys on the center seat, me battery and trolling motor at the rear. We have 5 inches to spare amidships. Will try to find a picture.

When I chose the pointy skiff in the first place it was because it had seats, and I find that most plans do not.

I have been looking at duckworks, and everywhere else online. Was looking at the Skylark 10. Not really interested in a jon boat, but like the idea of a punt bow, as it should provide more buoyancy.

So I have really been dreaming about is a boat that would:
    fit in the back of the truck bed, (under 11 feet to be legal sticking out the back)
    fit me and the boys (so soon to be 500#)
    has seats (I can add or modify if needed)
    I like the idea of a flat bottom (at least in back) or moving on the beach
    want to stay around the 100# dry weight
    anything else you might ask, just the impossible

I do appropriate your response, and anyone else who looks at this. I don't think that I get good results searching in google, better now that I use -pinterest. Was hoping that someone out there knew of something off the top of their head.

THANK YOU

If you want to stick with Bolger, then June Bug is longer but only one sheet more plywood and has full flotation. I used mine purely as a rowboat and liked it a lot. Johns Welsford's Sherpa was designed to take six people in a pinch, so two adults and two kids would be barely half full. Gavin Atkin offers free plans for a number of skiffs, Ella at 12' is quite pretty and would do the trick. All of those would do the job, though June Bug is not right for a motor. Lots to choose from....

PS--With the 11' max length you just mentioned, I think Sherpa would make the most sense.

http://www.jwboatdesigns.co.nz/plans/sherpa/index.htm
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Build another Pointy Skiff. You know it works, will be easier the second time and you can have the kids help. Maybe build two at once, kids get bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by sailnstink View Post
    Build another Pointy Skiff. You know it works, will be easier the second time and you can have the kids help. Maybe build two at once, kids get bigger.
    Yep. And I think better materials. I used what I could get last time, this time I can get some BS1088.

On the 11 -foot max restriction, Have you considered a " nester"--a two part boat that bolts together at the water and comes apart for transport.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Speaking as someone whose two sons passed me in height at age 15 and are now both three inches taller than I am, I'd say build for four adults your size. I can tell you from experience that when you feed them, they grow!
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Oddcarout View Post
    My sons and I built a Pointy Skiff about 7 years ago when my oldest was 7. This weekend during a storm the boat was crushed and is beyond repair. It was a sad discovery for us all. We like to fish a small lake that prohibits power.

we have decided to build another boat. What we liked about the Pointy Skiff was that it was light enough for one person to load in the back of the truck, it fit four people (two adults and two boys) and was easy to build.

it was 10 1/2 feet long, and I am thinking we need to stay in that range.

if anyone has recommendations I would appreciate it

thank you,
    Zachariah
    Google Danny Greene's Chameleon, 10' 4" long, can be built to nest or full size. I don't own one but a friend does and it rows and sails well, seems to carry a good load.

Jamie

There's a great pram from Chesapeake Light Craft called, I think, Passagemaker. Ok I looked it up, it's 11'7" but weighs 90lbs, have always liked prams and it has a payload of 650.

I built a second Pointy Skiff after the first one was in need of much repair. The new boat was built stitch and glue, ie no exterior chine logs. I like the boat a lot and the new one is much lighter with lighter plywood and the S&G construction. I did end up repairing the old Pointy and sold it.