Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Now
    Posts
    3,416

    Default "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    Is a new documentary by Adam Curtis, currently available on the BBC iPlayer.

    I've sat through this over the last couple of days. It's about six hours long, composed of excerpts from TV and film over the decades, with a voice-over. The Guardian called it 'enthralling and dazzling'. The Economist 'ambitious but largely forgettable'. The Independent 'fascinating and disorientating'. The Spectator 'incoherent and conspiracy-filled'. It'll get Baftas, for sure.

    ...My kind of reviews!!

    The upshot: human society is so interconnected and complex that no single human can understand how it actually works. All power is ultimately monetary, beyond any national political system to control. No-one, whatever they claim, has a clue how it actually works, what its goals are, or - indeed - what outcomes will occur if you tweak the parameters. Even just a little bit.

    Individuals within the system have no independence, little free-will. We're all just along for the ride, and clueless as towards any particular end-result.

    One potential system that might work, post-capitalism, is to have a nation of 'drugged' drones (via advanced social media, mental drugs, UBI) simply following the desires of the power, 'money', led by AI trading = post humanism. Would we be happy? Would we 'add value'? Could we be said to even exist?

    A great look into Putin's rise to power - and his current powerlessness. To China's dismissal of communism and its financial stranglehold over the US. To all evil, forged by oil, for a century.

    Worth a watch. If you've the time.

    Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,957

    Default Re: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    Too bad the BBC TV content is only available in the UK. I can listen to all the BBC radio programmes, I want, but not TV.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,191

    Default Re: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    The upshot: human society is so interconnected and complex that no single human can understand how it actually works. All power is ultimately monetary, beyond any national political system to control. No-one, whatever they claim, has a clue how it actually works, what its goals are, or - indeed - what outcomes will occur if you tweak the parameters. Even just a little bit.

    Individuals within the system have no independence, little free-will. We're all just along for the ride, and clueless as towards any particular end-result.


    Andy
    I have long thought that politicians and economists were wasting most of their and our time by trying to battle the world economy.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    The Now
    Posts
    3,416

    Default Re: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I have long thought that politicians and economists were wasting most of their and our time by trying to battle the world economy.
    The world economy appears to be, forever, focused on increasing growth.

    Endless growth, naturally, is an oxymoron. We've got finite resources, finite energy. But endless growth is what's everything is built on. And therefore...
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Walney, near Cumbria UK
    Posts
    53,191

    Default Re: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    The world economy appears to be, forever, focused on increasing growth.

    Endless growth, naturally, is an oxymoron. We've got finite resources, finite energy. But endless growth is what's everything is built on. And therefore...
    The mantra in the naughties was don't work harder work smarter, do more with less.
    we are managing to do more with less all the time as we learn to refine designs and pare away waste.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

    The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    58

    Default Re: "Can't Get You Out Of My Head"

    " Don't F##K With Cats", did it first and better.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •