Thread: cutting thick glass

Default cutting thick glass

I have no problem cutting glass up to maybe 4mm, as picture framing is a small part of the business. I've used a Toyo wheel cutter for years, never a problem, but recently wanted to cut some 6mm sheets that had been dumped, broken windows maybe ? Just cant do it every time.
    And more pressing, I have a front foglight thats broken, but the structure, reflector, lamp all ok. As you can imagine it is a moulded piece, with the prisms and facets...and really quite thick. 7-8mm at the edges.

It is detachable , has a part number but Subaru won't or cant sell just the lens. Complete unit upwards of 300 bts, and weeks to come from japan or Korea.
    I have a selection of old headlamps and fog lights kicking about in the shed and one with almost the same pattern of prisms, from an old Merc, but of course I need to cut out the shape from it. Even the curves are about right. It will do til I find a breaker's that has one.
    Tried diamond wheels for ceramic tiles, on the angle grinder, but no go but I'm guessing there's a special bit of kit for this, or a Dremel or similar.

Any tips and ideas?
    Bilious, choleric, sanguine and phlegmatic

Default Re: cutting thick glass

Are there salvage yards?

After market fog lights for our Ranger are readily available online.

The glass guy here on island uses a diamond belt to "safety" the edges of glass he cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    I have no problem cutting glass up to maybe 4mm, as picture framing is a small part of the business. I've used a Toyo wheel cutter for years, never a problem, but recently wanted to cut some 6mm sheets that had been dumped, broken windows maybe ? Just cant do it every time.

Any tips and ideas?
    New glass cuts beautifully with the toyo - old pre-scratched stuff - not nearly so well. Once the surface is less than perfect the break often fails to follow the scored line - you can practice but for ordinary see-through glass it's more cost effective to just buy new,

Headlamp - same same.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Diamond wheel on angle grinder is too fast and uncontrollable. A wet tile saw is what you need, would do the job quite easily. You might be able to rent one, or know a contractor pal that could help you, it is only a few minute job.

Or a glass artisan might have a ring saw.

Jim Conlin, johnboy's "breakers"is what we call a junk yard.
    Steve Martinsen

I've had success cutting thick glass using a wet saw with diamond blade. I'm sure that a dry diamond blade will also cut the glass but likely produce a lot of chipping and perhaps a downright cracking failure in the glass. It's the heat. Lacking a dedicated wet saw, one can use a circular saw or grinder (although a polisher fitted with diamond blade has slower rpm, so would be better) and simply direct a stream of water from a hose onto the blade/cut. Be sure to have a good gfi breaker in play.

Jeff