Thread: Vhf + ais?

Default Vhf + ais?

Is anyone making a VHF w/ AIS send and receive? Or is there a better way to think about this? Ideally I would get something that integrates with my Garmin display.

Thanks, Ken

Default Re: Vhf + ais?

Simrad and B&G are both making radios with integrated AIS transceivers.

Standard Horizon VHF/AIS units are receive only so far, but I've used them for solo offshore passages, and the alarm is very effective.

Best bet for tying into the Garmin would probably be a vesper XB series unit, which could talk to your display through a NMEA connection. I met a dutch single-hander who was running that system and had all good things to say about it.

I prefer separate units, I'd rather one failed than both.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    I prefer separate units, I'd rather one failed than both.
    yes, simple vs. easy

VHF and AIS are one system. The signal comes through VHF ch 70.

They may share a channel Hwyl, but it is normal to have separate units, even separate antennas.

I suppose I was being pedantic.

What's you comfort level with a single point of failure taking out both systems? Do you have a back up VHF?
    Do you know how to read the info, if shown on a chart plotter? You would be surprised at the number of professionals, I sail with, that get relative and true motion confused on the screen. Do you have space for more antennas on your boat?

I bought a B&G V60-B with an additional remote handset. For passage making I now carry a rented sat-phone as a VHF backup (the only VHF failures that I’ve ever had have been at the aerial end.....) and am not concerned about requiring an AIS backup.

V60 VHF Radio with AIS
    SKU: 000-14471-001

Stay safe and connected with this VHF marine radio featuring a sleek design with removable fist mic, Class D DSC functionality, and built-in GPS. Keep track of nearby AIS-equipped vessels with an integrated AIS receiver, and add up to two optional wireless handsets to communicate clearly from anywhere on board
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

I have a Vesper AIS and a Standard Horizon VHF with AIS receive. I really like the Vesper, on my boat we use a tablet to navigate and the Vesper broadcasts AIS info, GPS position and data from my transducer over WiFi so I can see it on the tablet and on my phone. Very handy when on passage and/or single handing since I can be lying in my berth looking at the same data that the tablet is displaying in the cockpit. You have a proper chartplotter so not as much of an issue for you but still provides some redundancy. Having a transceiver is also useful because commercial traffic can hail you by name-helps to reduce my workload in canals and busy shipping lanes. Less time spent wondering if that tug is talking to me or someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by captsct View Post
    What's you comfort level with a single point of failure taking out both systems? Do you have a back up VHF?
    Do you know how to read the info, if shown on a chart plotter? You would be surprised at the number of professionals, I sail with, that get relative and true motion confused on the screen. Do you have space for more antennas on your boat?
    I am a newbie on current navigation stuff: I grew up with RDF and a lead-line, time-out for a career in tech. theatre, and now back in a boat. My main thing is that I don't want to get run down in a fog and I'm thinking I might want AIS transmit. I have a handheld VHF as a backup radio. I have a PVC conduit inside my mast to run an antenna. Please teach me how I should think about this stuff...

Ken

I can guarantee that all the commercial operators would greatly appreciate your transmitting correct AIS data. It make our lives so much easier in trying not to run you over.

A single point of failure would be your battery, if you have two separate systems. If they are linked, share antennas etc, then a single point of failure could be many more things.

Definately AIS transmit... Don't play dodge, be seen.

Your insurers will like that.

And double that with a nice radar reflector. Do not hesitate to confirm its efficiency with a passing ship ! We will thank you !!