Thread: $5 Cookie

Default $5 Cookie

Ok so I was running around like a maniac all day today and didn’t stop to eat.
    Finally at 3:00 after I ran to Newport to help fix a problem I stopped for a poke bowl and a glass of wine.

While I’m wolfing it down a young girl comes with a toothpick size cookie sample. It was oatmeal cookie and I’m not a fan, but she said the cookie place next door had a bunch of cookies. So still feeling a little hungry I stopped in. I saw some chocolate chip cookies and silly me After ordering two I asked how much ? What she said floored me ....... $5 a cookie WTF $5 for a cookie? ONE COOKIE???? I’m like ok the have to be life changing cookies and I already ordered two.

So I take a bite of the $5 chocolate chip cookie and ......... it tastes just like a 0.50 cent cookie. I’m saving this one for Renee

The poke bowl was delicious

Last edited by Joe (SoCal); 02-15-2021 at 09:16 PM.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: $5 Cookie

$5 x2 the way I understand it.

What is a poke bowl?
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by SMARTINSEN View Post
    What is a poke bowl?
    Delicious https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_(Hawaiian_dish)

I see 95% margian

Sure it wasn't the Nieman-Marcus Cafe?

Remember this old meme from years back?

[Collected on the Internet, 1996]

My daughter & I had just finished a salad at Neiman-Marcus Cafe in Dallas & decided to have a small dessert. Because our family are such cookie lovers, we decided to try the “Neiman-Marcus Cookie”. It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe and they said with a small frown, “I’m afraid not.” Well, I said, would you let me buy the recipe? With a cute smile, she said, “Yes.” I asked how much, and she responded, “Two fifty.” I said with approval, just add it to my tab.

Thirty days later, I received my VISA statement from Neiman-Marcus and it was $285.00. I looked again and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two salads and about $20.00 for a scarf. As I glanced at the bottom of the statement, it said, “Cookie Recipe – $250.00.” Boy, was I upset!! I called Neiman’s Accounting Dept. and told them the waitress said it was “two fifty,” and I did not realize she meant $250.00 for a cookie recipe. I asked them to take back the recipe and reduce my bill and they said they were sorry, but because all the recipes were this expensive so not just everyone could duplicate any of our bakery recipes….the bill would stand. I waited, thinking of how I could get even or even try and get any of my money back.

I just said, “Okay, you folks got my $250.00 and now I’m going to have $250.00 worth of fun.” I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover will have a $250.00 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for nothing. She replied, “I wish you wouldn’t do this.” I said, “I’m sorry but this is the only way I feel I could get even,” and I will.

So, here it is, and please pass it to someone else or run a few copies…. I paid for it; now you can have it for free. (Recipe may be halved):

2 cups butter
    4 cups flour
    2 tsp. soda
    2 cups sugar
    5 cups blended oatmeal**
    24 oz. chocolate chips
    2 cups brown sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 8 oz. Hershey Bar (grated)
    4 eggs
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3 cups chopped nuts (your choice)
    2 tsp. vanilla

Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla; mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda. Add chocolate chips, Hershey Bar and nuts. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees. Makes 112 cookies.

** measure oatmeal and blend in a blender to a fine powder.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

In the age of $5.00 for a cup of coffee, I don't see what the big deal is.

The Nieman Marcus cookie thing is also presented as the Martha Stewart cookie, and the Mrs. Fields cookie. Damn that internet.
    The Algorithm Is Watching

Forget all that. There is a cookie made in Maryland that you cannot get outside the state EXCEPT if you buy them on line. Everyone just calls them Berger Cookies. I grew up with them and I never wanted a candy bar if there was a Berger Cookie to be had. To this day, it's the treat that every woman in my family wants when they can get it.

https://www.bergercookies.com/
    "Marriage is a wonderful institution, but who wants to live in an institution?" - Groucho Marx

You remind me of my ex-in-lays who complained about the price of ice cream at the Piazza San Marco in Venice, except you were in Newport.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    In the age of $5.00 for a cup of coffee, I don't see what the big deal is.
    Sorry typo - it's $5 a cookie and that the last two I'll ever buy

Since I was a kid, I've often made, and still do, homemade emergency cookies. I mix up a glob of frosting in a coffee mug; a lump of soft butter, pour in a handful of powdered sugar, about a tablespoon of Hersey's cocoa, a small splash of vanilla extract and a few grains of salt. Mash it up until it looks sort of like frosting and spread it on a graham cracker. Best cookie you can get.

on the one hand, i share your outrage. the cost of cookies is too high!

on the other hand, you're a grown man, who went by himself to a cookie store, in newport beach. i like cookies, but it's difficult to relate to this scenario. what are you on vacation?

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Every damn website gives them to ya. I am always deleting those things so the NYTs and others don't know how many stories I have read.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Sorry typo - it's $5 a cookie and that the last two I'll ever buy
    That is two more than I would have bought.
    I should have used the :rolleyes smiley.

Was the cookie shop right next door to a Dispensary? If so, there might be lots of people willing to pay $5 for a good cookie!

A few years ago my Son and I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies as a gift for my wife for Mother’s Day. We went to this Boutique Grocery store (not usually a place I go) and got all organic /high end ingredients, including some chocolate chips from Belgium. Well, those cookies were the best any of us had ever had, but I can’t find the chocolate any more, so am unable to repeat the recipe. I might pay $5.00 for one of those cookies...

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    Was the cookie shop right next door to a Dispensary? If so, there might be lots of people willing to pay $5 for a good cookie!

A few years ago my Son and I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies as a gift for my wife for Mother’s Day. We went to this Boutique Grocery store (not usually a place I go) and got all organic /high end ingredients, including some chocolate chips from Belgium. Well, those cookies were the best any of us had ever had, but I can’t find the chocolate any more, so am unable to repeat the recipe. I might pay $5.00 for one of those cookies...
    Nope I could almost see the business plan if they did that.

It was in a Newport Coast Hoity-Toity mall - the girl in the shop said " Well it is Newport Coast pricing "

https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/ce...er/cookie-lab/

Two comments on the N-M recipe:
    Using today's Hershey bars will be a disappointment.
    Since Nieman's is (was) in Texas, nuts would mean pecans.

I brush my own dog with a $6.00 brush.
    \"A little too tall, coulda used a few pounds...\"

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post

A few years ago my Son and I decided to make some chocolate chip cookies as a gift for my wife for Motherís Day. We went to this Boutique Grocery store (not usually a place I go) and got all organic /high end ingredients, including some chocolate chips from Belgium. Well, those cookies were the best any of us had ever had, but I canít find the chocolate any more, so am unable to repeat the recipe. I might pay $5.00 for one of those cookies...
    Ralphie, there is an outfit called ' Santa Barbara Chocolate' in Ventura, CA (no affiliation), which is where my wife sources her Belgian white chocolate for her puff corn product. Google them up, an interesting place.

Rick
    Last edited by hawkeye54; 02-16-2021 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Evidently the chocolate lobby got Congress, a few years ago, to change the definition of chocolate to allow less rich versions. I'm told that if one wants real/good chocolate, to use a European source.

When I was a messenger, one of our clients was NM, and when Iíd deliver to their offices (up the alley behind the store; is it still on Stockton?) there was as often as not a snack tray, and it usually had some dark chocolate dipped dried apricots, which I always took.
    Iím from stone fruit country, but these were supreme apricots, as large as peaches, really, and some of the best chocolate. So lovely.

I miss that job...

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    When I was a messenger, one of our clients was NM, and when I’d deliver to their offices (up the alley behind the store; is it still on Stockton?) there was as often as not a snack tray, and it usually had some dark chocolate dipped dried apricots, which I always took.
    I’m from stone fruit country, but these were supreme apricots, as large as peaches, really, and some of the best chocolate. So lovely.

I miss that job...
    Neiman Marcus, SF

There's a variety of markets for every product and service. In many of those, a high price is a feature not a defect, and bears no relation to quality.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Fleeced, I tells ya. $5 cookie is obviously California pricing with some local mark up.

SWMBO Jr. works a a local BBQ place and one of the owner's specialties is his baked goods. They sell cookies - chocolate chip cookies among the offerings - that cost $1.95. They're about 6" in diameter and about 3/4" thick and are chock-full of chocolate bits and nuts. Probably weigh over 1/4 pound... AND They're tasty as all get-out.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

My go-to is alton brown's "The Chewy" recipe, but over the covid-year of a hundred batches I've switched to dark chocolate, reduced the volume of chocolate by a third, and doubled the salt.

Hey Joe your prediction that brick+mortar will survive only if providing unique product and unique experience kinda comes with a unique price tag eh?
    I'm currently experiencing higher than normal volume of human interaction, and appreciate your tolerance of my intolerance.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    The best place was a post production facility, which I suspect dealt in mature viewing material, that we used to deliver discs and film reels to.

They always had an amazing spread of snacks, a fridge full of drinks, and sometimes actual catered food.

ĒHelp yourself,Ē they always said.

If I had no other immediate work, Iíd get a sammie and a beer and head to a local park; little parks are everywhere in downtown SF.
    Iíd find a wee patch of grass and lie back and watch the clouds speed by.

And ignore my pager for a while.

I miss that job...

I miss that job...
    Quicksilver...

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Quicksilver...
    Well, I did ride a fixed gear around town, and I did have a friend killed on the job. I wasnít a rich dude looking to slum, though.

I never did a freestyle dance in a studio warehouse down Third Street, either.

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    The best place was a post production facility, which I suspect dealt in mature viewing material, that we used to deliver discs and film reels to.

They always had an amazing spread of snacks, a fridge full of drinks, and sometimes actual catered food.

”Help yourself,” they always said.

If I had no other immediate work, I’d get a sammie and a beer and head to a local park; little parks are everywhere in downtown SF.
    I’d find a wee patch of grass and lie back and watch the clouds speed by.

And ignore my pager for a while.

I miss that job...
    My brother from another mother, I was a Bike Messenger in NYC in the 80's. I worked for Break Away Couriers. Although I never was treated nice by anyplace I delivered. Bike messengers in NYC were treated like scum at every building we had to deliver. If I were to walk into the lobby of a office building the security would run and yell to go around back to the messenger center and then take the service elevator to the company we were delivering.

In the beginning I was super polite and sounded educated " Thank you " Please Sign & Print" " Have a wonderful day" by the end of the year I was in full on ghetto mode - "Yo singandprint heah, aiaite, yo letme use da bafroom, yo is dat water k ill fill up mah water bottle" then leave a big dookie fart and leave.

It was a HARD job but I got in great shape for racing and I rode a stick no brakes in NYC

My brother from another mother, I was a Bike Messenger in NYC in the 80's. I worked for Break Away Couriers. Although I never was treated nice by anyplace I delivered. Bike messengers in NYC were treated like scum at every building we had to deliver. If I were to walk into the lobby of a office building the security would run and yell to go around back to the messenger center and then take the service elevator to the company we were delivering.

In the beginning I was super polite and sounded educated " Thank you " Please Sign & Print" " Have a wonderful day" by the end of the year I was in full on ghetto mode - "Yo singandprint heah, aiaite, yo letme use da bafroom, yo is dat water k ill fill up mah water bottle" then leave a big dookie fart and leave.

It was a HARD job but I got in great shape for racing and I rode a stick no brakes in NYC
    Yes, I mentioned I rode a fixed gear fixed wheel. In SF.

The key to making money as a messenger is to be quick during PO/DO. As all things, honey gets the bees. A box of donuts, for example, will get security guards on the dock to take your package and deliver it.
    Or bottles of booze, or snacks...

Time inside is time lost, and time is money. Unless itís one of the payroll gravy drops. Like, 742 individual deliveries in one building.

Sigh. Salad days.

Nope I could almost see the business plan if they did that.

It was in a Newport Coast Hoity-Toity mall - the girl in the shop said " Well it is Newport Coast pricing "

https://www.shopirvinecompany.com/ce...er/cookie-lab/
    And that is the precise reason why you might pay a million six for a 1200 square foot ranch* on a 5500 square foot interior lot and at least three times that for a condo of the same size with a partial view of the ocean.

* It will however have undergone at least a mild refreshening with some updates.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Hey Joe your prediction that brick+mortar will survive only if providing unique product and unique experience kinda comes with a unique price tag eh?
    Yea this was nothing like that it was an empty beautiful space that I can only imagine the rent $$$$$ and how many $5 cookies you will need to sell just to keep the lights on.

While the counter girl was SoCal cute there was nothing special about the experience that would make me return.