Thread: Looking for Remote Shutter Trigger for Camera

Default Looking for Remote Shutter Trigger for Camera

Anyone have any recommendations about what to look for in a remote shutter trigger for a digital camera?

My preferences:

1. Not triggered by a smartphone app--I don't have a phone.
    2. Hoping for something compatible with a non-SLR camera.
    3. Might consider adding a GoPro to my gear list if it has a good remote shutter device.
    4. Good range (want to set up the camera on shore for occasional sailing photos/videos).

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Looking for Remote Shutter Trigger for Camera

If you set up your camera on shore to take occasional sailing photos and videos, why do you need a remote shutter release?

If you intend to take photos and videos from shore of yourself sailing, how do you keep somebody from stealing your camera?

What camera?
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

A go pro can be set to time lapse mode and take stills every 5 seconds, 20 second ....2 minutes....whatever you set it for. So you could place it and forget it and sail past it all day.

In video mode, depending the quality setting and the size of your memory card, you can set and forget a GoPro (or any action cam) for at least an hour.

Kevin
    Last edited by Breakaway; 01-19-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

GoPros do have nifty features, including a voice activated shutter that just might work for this application. I still wouldn't recommend them. The fixed, wide lens means that at any reasonable distance you and your boat will look like a far-away speck.
    I think that what you're trying to do is probably hard to achieve with a land-based camera. I think you'd need a fairly long lens to get both the detail you want and a safe margin from the shore. That long lens will capture a pretty narrow cone of the world, making composition tricky - but maybe pulling stills from video could work. I might try to borrow a friend's setup (maybe an SLR with a long lens) to gain experience before buying anything. Remote triggers for SLRs are cheap.
    Or maybe, Tom, this is the excuse you've been waiting for to buy a drone. Nothing says "grungy sail-and-oar vagabond" like the persistent whine of an over-the-shoulder quad copter.

Iíll do it for $50/day and board.

i think you need a drone
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    What camera?
    The more basic the better. Currently, a Nikon Coolpix L620 point and shoot, with 14x optical zoom and full HD video. I like this one particularly because it runs on AA batteries, so no hassles with recharging on long trips.

I think that what you're trying to do is probably hard to achieve with a land-based camera. I think you'd need a fairly long lens to get both the detail you want and a safe margin from the shore.
    Well, in my boat a "safe margin from the shore" is often less than an oar's length away.

I realize the uses will be limited, but it's something that I think would be handy for my freelancing: take a shot of leaving/arriving at camp, or set up the tripod on a rock and do a sail-by for a photo. That kind of thing.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I have done the same kind of shots for motorcycle videos. Leaving a camera on a tripod in the wilderness is not much of a risk.

I didn't use a remote trigger, but just left the camera running and then edited down to the shots I needed
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    In my boat a "safe margin from the shore" is often less than an oar's length away.

Tom

Not after you get the drone it won't be! You'll need a large, stable platform from which to fly it, and a comfortable electrical system to handle the demands of your new video editing suite (not to mention a separate cabin for the editing crew). At a bare minimum you'll need to "upgrade" your current boat to something like this:

Hence the need for the longer lens.

You can get floating collars/ cases/ handles for action cams. So, you could place your cam on a float of some sort (piece of plank, chunk of foam, etc) and sail right at it/past it, for an interesting shot.

It would need to be flat calm water.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The old way to do it was to use a pocket wizard radio with a cable to the electronic shutter release
    https://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Plus_III
    They claim up to 500m range now for some models. I don’t know if many non-ILC cameras have a port for a shutter release. you might search a dpreview buying guide. Elsewhise older mirrorless or dslr can be had quite cheap. (Battery life might be an issue, as well as ability to turn off a sleep mode, both of which favor higher end cameras)

Quote Originally Posted by pez_leon View Post
    Not after you get the drone it won't be! You'll need a large, stable platform from which to fly it, and a comfortable electrical system to handle the demands of your new video editing suite (not to mention a separate cabin for the editing crew). At a bare minimum you'll need to "upgrade" your current boat to something like this:

Hence the need for the longer lens.
    Looks great! Only thing--do you think rowing performance will suffer at all?

On a more serious note: drones. Nope. Not for me. They do generate some neat footage, but that would be waaaay too intrusive for me to tolerate in my own trips.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

That looks so sweet to row. How did you make that video? I expect you had a helper. Surely you can find another from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Looks great! Only thing--do you think rowing performance will suffer at all?
    You'll want to order the optional yuloh

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Etheridge View Post
    That looks so sweet to row. How did you make that video? I expect you had a helper. Surely you can find another from time to time.
    Sadly, my wife (who filmed that clip on her phone) does not particularly enjoy sailing; and even if she did, she runs a summer camp program all summer long, so wouldn't be able to join me on long trips.

Mostly I go for days and days without seeing any people on my trips; and when I see them, it's rarely close enough to recruit them as a camera operator. I have gotten a few still photos that way, though.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    The old way to do it was to use a pocket wizard radio with a cable to the electronic shutter release
    https://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Plus_III
    They claim up to 500m range now for some models. I don’t know if many non-ILC cameras have a port for a shutter release. you might search a dpreview buying guide. Elsewhise older mirrorless or dslr can be had quite cheap. (Battery life might be an issue, as well as ability to turn off a sleep mode, both of which favor higher end cameras)
    Hugh,

thanks for this. It looks very promising. I especially like that it runs on AAs, so still no recharging hassles. Unless it only works with cameras that don't run on AAs, of course...

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    A go pro can be set to time lapse mode and take stills every 5 seconds, 20 second ....2 minutes....whatever you set it for. So you could place it and forget it and sail past it all day.

In video mode, depending the quality setting and the size of your memory card, you can set and forget a GoPro (or any action cam) for at least an hour.

Kevin
    Kevin,

thanks--that's good to know. I'm very unfamiliar with what Gopro cameras can do. Do they all have that fisheye distortion, or are there other settings to avoid it?

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

thanks--that's good to know. I'm very unfamiliar with what Gopro cameras can do. Do they all have that fisheye distortion, or are there other settings to avoid it?
    Standard settings allow for fisheye, wide and narrow /normal user selectable field of view ( check specific model specs though) Here is a handy chart.

Guide-to-GoPro-Resolutions-Frame-Rates-and-FOV.jpg

There are accessory lenses one can buy. Have not used them.
    https://www.peauproductions.com/coll...o-7-6-5-lenses

Kevin

tom, love your articles and photos of you sailing, partly because i miss home, but you've got a good instict and i think adding a bit of wide ranging capability to your repertoire in the form of a gopro would be great and i'm betting you would have a lot of fun exploring what they can do

they're hugely versatile, it awesome seeing them attached to bow sprits, stems, tiller handles, flag masts, mastheads, booms, oars, et al

i think you'd really enjoy one and they'll do most everything that you're wanting
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I've seen some great shots from a small kite carrying a camera.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

The Pocket Wizards are robust and work great if you have a camera you can use them with. I like the +X model which run new for $170 a pair which is quite a bit cheaper than the Plus III. Used you can find them for half that. I scored two off Craigslist for $75. The range is 1600 ft vs up to a mile for the Plus III but I find the batteries last longer with the +X.

Its not the most elegant solution, but you could use a RC car/boat transmitter with your existing camera. The cheap ones are around $30 and run off AA. You would have to fabricate a mount so a servo could physically press the shutter button. There would be a second channel so you could pan the camera if you were feeling ambitious.,

It seems you should get some radio control club or guy who has extra gear lying around, You just want one actuator, right? The average RC servo has more than enough force to actuate any shutter release. You need to be a bit careful bc there is a legal precedent that if you jam the same frequency that an RC plane is on, you can be liable for crashing the dudes plane. But if you work with your local RC club they will steer you right. Now that everything is going to spread-spectrum digital, there are probably a lot of old analog transmitters and receivers lying around.

Ken

It seems you should get some radio control club or guy who has extra gear lying around, You just want one actuator, right? The average RC servo has more than enough force to actuate any shutter release. You need to be a bit careful bc there is a legal precedent that if you jam the same frequency that an RC plane is on, you can be liable for crashing the dudes plane. But if you work with your local RC club they will steer you right. Now that everything is going to spread-spectrum digital, there are probably a lot of old analog transmitters and receivers lying around.

Ken