Thread: Worldwide Classic Boat Show

Default Worldwide Classic Boat Show

Might be worth a look; $5 for a ticket. Opens Feb 19, I think.

https://classicboatshow.com/

You can also submit your own boat for consideration, with up to 12 photos and a brief description, through offcenterharbor.com.

I got my ticket today. Also submitted my boat--don't know if it will make the cut or not:

I'm looking forward to seeing a bunch of cool boats.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Default Re: Worldwide Classic Boat Show

Just a bump to say my boat made the cut, and will be in the online boat show. And, I guess, also announced its official name (only 3+ years after launching). But you'll have to buy a ticket for the show to find out what it is!

I think there will be 400+ boats, each with its own owner-created web page with photos and description. Opens Friday. I think it's going to be pretty cool--the offcenterharbor.com folks are some of my favorite boaty people online.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

I submitted my boat too and waiting if she will be in the show. I just realised that I met most of the lecture guys: Tom Cunliffe in 1988 in Douarnenez, was in his pilot cutter Hirta, Eric Hvalsoe in Enkhuizen in the nineties when he did an impressive workshop and built a H13 in about 10 days time. I saw the start and finish and made the sail in between, and Roger Barnes in 2017 in The Morbihan, we sailed both in the oar and sail flotille. Looking forward to see the show and the lectures. Frank

Our boats were accepted but signing in to look at how the entries show up isn't working for me, although OCH sent a link for signing in. Does anyone else have this problem?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    Our boats were accepted but signing in to look at how the entries show up isn't working for me, although OCH sent a link for signing in. Does anyone else have this problem?
    I find that when I sign in here: https://classicboatshow.com/

I can access my profile. From there, I can click on the "My Pages" link at the top. When I do that, a link to my boat entry appears. When I click on that, I can see or edit my listing.

Hope that helps!

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post

I got very confused when I got the link to edit my page: There was a profile page with grey boxes for you to put in a pic of yourself, and when I did, the rest of the page they had made of my boat seemed to disappear. But there is a button at the bottom of the profile which goes back to the boat page. Yesterday the guys were pretty responsive to my request for tech assistance (like 3-4 hours later) but I have to assume it's getting crazy there. To the earlier post above about access, they seem to be encouraging one to send links of your boat to others in a sortof popularity contest ("like this") so you'd think there will be a way to see at least individual pages without full access. I'm just making half this up....

Ken

Haven't bit as I didn't know what to send and photos of the various craft are scattered about computers kind of as they were sent to me. My own are things I have done for SBM or OffCenter. Anyway, I'm curious about what is in the show. I'm not really interested in highly varnished pretty yachts. More interested in muddy boots boats. If the ticketed can give me a sense of what is there that uses oars/ paddles/ lives on trailers I'll bite.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

For the $5 ticket price I figured I'd give it a whirl. But I haven't been able to log in or reset my password or anything else. The site seems very buggy. And I don't know if the $5 fee was processed or not. It's messy.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Haven't bit as I didn't know what to send and photos of the various craft are scattered about computers kind of as they were sent to me. My own are things I have done for SBM or OffCenter. Anyway, I'm curious about what is in the show. I'm not really interested in highly varnished pretty yachts. More interested in muddy boots boats. If the ticketed can give me a sense of what is there that uses oars/ paddles/ lives on trailers I'll bite.
    I'll take a look when it opens early on and post something here about what's featured. This boat, for one...

Alaska.jpg

But you don't have to leave the WBF to find photos of that one.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Looks like literally hundreds of small boats (25' and under, and 15' and under) powered by sails, oars, and paddles--very cool. Just a quick peek so far, but I did see a Seattle Hvalsoe 16, and Alex's sail-and-oar design Firedrake among them.

Ben, check your PMs if you haven't already--I have a free ticket I didn't need, and they said I could pass it along, so I am sending you the link. Feel free to use it.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

A quick breakdown of boats in the show (from the overview map) includes:

99 boats for the PNW or west coast
    14 boats from the Midwest U.S.
    25 boats from the Gulf Coast/Florida region
    202 boats from the NE U.S. and east coast
    9 boats from Canada
    2 boats from the Carribean

36 boats from the UK
    15 boats from Europe
    17 boats from NZ
    28 from Australia
    1 each from Africa and the Middle East

Looks like 142 boats in the 25' and under, no engine, category.

Probably well worth the $5 ticket.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Looks great. I feel like they didn't do a very good job promoting it, I only just found out about it. But a bargain at $5.
    There's the plan, then there's what actually happens.

Ben Sebens, RN

15' Welsford Navigator Inconceivable
    16' W. Simmons Mattinicus double ender ​Matty

There’s a comment section on each boats page but I’ve only found one boat for which it’s enabled. Was it an option that submitters needed to affirmatively allow?
    “Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

I'm in after a lot of fooling with messages and emails about my password. I had to pay, or try to pay, for a ticket twice.

But after all that, the site is strangely addictive. Just scroll around a map of the world and click the icons. There are gems everywhere. Here's something that deserves an award for fanciest engine room. It's Messenger - details here.
    IMG_5706-768x576.jpg
    -Dave

Not all the boats that have been submitted and accepted are up on the site yet. More being loaded every day I understand
    Alex

“A man in an open shirt, sat gazing out to sea; A young man, a hale man, and I wished that I were he and that the things that I loved were as they used to be”
    - Geoffrey Holdsworth

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Quote Originally Posted by AJZimm View Post
    Not all the boats that have been submitted and accepted are up on the site yet. More being loaded every day I understand
    Hey Alex, Fire Drake looks pretty good in there.

563 boats when I looked about an hour ago. Watched Tom Cunliffe's presentation today, he gave good value as always - worth the price of the ticket ion its own.

I didn't see much advertising before the show. I wouldn't have known about if they hadn't picked up the Montague Harbour rendezvous and contacted me. But it is addictive, you can easily lose track of time.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Orr View Post
    Hey Alex, Fire Drake looks pretty good in there.

563 boats when I looked about an hour ago. Watched Tom Cunliffe's presentation today, he gave good value as always - worth the price of the ticket ion its own.

I didn't see much advertising before the show. I wouldn't have known about if they hadn't picked up the Montague Harbour rendezvous and contacted me. But it is addictive, you can easily lose track of time.

Jamie
    Thanks Jamie.

I missed Tom's presentation yesterday but I will try to watch it later. I plan to listen to Roger Barnes today - no conflicts at that time.

Dave and Rosemary Lesser's Gartside yawl, La Vie En Rose, is up now as well. Dave has posted a link to the wonderful video that Off Center Harbor made of the boat a few years ago. I had almost forgotten about it. It's a great story of how it all came together. Well worth watching again.
    Alex

“A man in an open shirt, sat gazing out to sea; A young man, a hale man, and I wished that I were he and that the things that I loved were as they used to be”
    - Geoffrey Holdsworth

http://www.alexzimmerman.ca

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    Just a bump to say my boat made the cut, and will be in the online boat show. And, I guess, also announced its official name (only 3+ years after launching). But you'll have to buy a ticket for the show to find out what it is!

I think there will be 400+ boats, each with its own owner-created web page with photos and description. Opens Friday. I think it's going to be pretty cool--the offcenterharbor.com folks are some of my favorite boaty people online.

Tom
    I signed up, and have enjoyed perusing. Tom, how do I find your boat?
    O
    --------(\ ----------
    ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ (\ ~ ~ ~ ~
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Smoke View Post
    I signed up, and have enjoyed perusing. Tom, how do I find your boat?
    Use the search bar to type in the designer (Kurylko) and it should show up. Lots of neat boats--I wish people had written more/longer descriptions, but worth the $5 for sure.

Tom
    Last edited by WI-Tom; 02-21-2021 at 03:07 PM.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Smoke View Post
    Tom, how do I find your boat?
    https://classicboatshow.com/listing/...hitehall-2017/

Use the search bar to type in the designer (Kurylko) and it should show up. Lots of neat boats--I wish people had written more/longer descriptions, but worth the $5 for sure.

Tom
    I put Terrapin in there with a very brief description. I didn't realize how it was going to be displayed, or that the box you're given to write into does not limit the length of text allowed. I suppose I could go back and add more. I haven't see any social media style feedback loop, however -- as in how many people viewed your post, likes given, etc.
    -Dave

I saw Terrapin in there--one of my favorites! I hope to hear more about some outings aboard, hint, hint...

If I ever want a cozy little solo cabin boat, that one would be high on my list.

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

I saw Terrapin in there--one of my favorites! I hope to hear more about some outings aboard, hint, hint...

If I ever want a cozy little solo cabin boat, that one would be high on my list.

Tom
    The next issue of Small Craft Advisor should have something. Part of the cruising plan is to write pieces for whichever outlets will take them.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    The next issue of Small Craft Advisor should have something. Part of the cruising plan is to write pieces for whichever outlets will take them.
    Excellent, Dave--I look forward to it.

You might be interested in this:

https://savingtosail.com/16-sailing-...-for-articles/

Tom

www.tompamperin.com

Kotik's in it!

Ian
    Old Joke: ‘A bench fitter works to the nearest thousandth of an inch. A loco fitter (steam) works to the nearest inch. A shipwright works to the nearest ship’.”
    Alan Byde, Canoe Design and Construction, Pelham Books, 1978

“...old maxim, 'A fair line supersedes any given measurement'.”
    Allan H. Vaitses, Lofting, International Marine, 1980

The show is extended for another week until 3/7.

Lots of good stuff. All the video chats are archived, so if anyone joins late they won't be missing a thing.
    -Dave