Thread: Greg Rossel's article about the Brown shipyard

Default Greg Rossel's article about the Brown shipyard

I read Greg Rossel's article about the Brown shipyard with a good deal of interest.It was a thorough description of a subject that was clearly significant to him.What I found intriguing was the photograph of a group of luminaries in the story.One of which was listed as William H Brown which was an interesting coincidence as I have nearly completed a half model of the 1851 America and one of the sources I referred to was a Charles Mower lines drawing,which credited the design to George Steers and the building to William H Brown.It may have been an earlier generation of the same family but I suspect a connection.Can anybody shed any light?

Default Re: Greg Rossel's article about the Brown shipyard

In John Rousmaniere's fine book "The Low Black Schooner: Yacht America" he states the she was built by a William Brown in 1851. His shipyard was on the East River at the foot of 12th Street in Manhattan and he built many of the same types of vessels mentioned in the article. His yard very well could have relocated to cheaper digs over on Staten Island later. (George Steers, who worked for him at that time, was very likely her designer.) So maybe...

I have a hazy memory of meeting Merritt Demarest (in photo on page 41 of the Rossel article) in about 1974 or so after he retired to live on the Jersey shore. He had designed a tug we were building at Matten's Shipyard in Cohes NY (another canal connection since both Brown yards built canal boats). I would guess that that photo was taken in the late 20's or early 30's.

No,I found this one better https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/0c...65e1fef5eb.jpg .Even then it is a bit busy in places and needed a bit of careful examination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    No,I found this one better https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f2/0c...65e1fef5eb.jpg .Even then it is a bit busy in places and needed a bit of careful examination.
    ok thanks

Most of all of Ralph Middleton Munroe's classic shoal draft vessels, were built at Browns. The first being the flat bottomed sailing sharpie Egret, followed by an enlarged round bilged form, the Presto 36..
    Last edited by Seabeau; 04-05-2021 at 05:47 AM.