Thread: Varnishing a snipe hull

Default Varnishing a snipe hull

Hello everyone, this is my first post although I've been lurking around for some time now.

I just "borrowed" a wooden snipe from a friend who wasn't sailing it so I convinced him to bring the boat here to Vigo, where we are starting a small classic snipe fleet.

The boat was originally painted white but my friend sanded it and now is basically bare plywood, although he did put some sealant or something on it.

What would some of the experts here recommend to varnish it properly? She'll be drysailed, but maybe in the future could spend some time on a mooring.

This a picture of the boat:

IMG-20210131-WA0008.jpg IMG-20190921-WA0007.jpg

Thanks for your help

Default Re: Varnishing a snipe hull

It's always good to see a snipe owner checking in! I have two. Both my hulls are painted, but one has a varnished deck. I just used a good grade of marine varnish, and put down multiple coats. I'm no expert, but before painting my hulls I sanded them down to bare wood and brushed on as much penetrating epoxy as the wood would hold. Good luck and welcome.

IMG_3059.jpgIMG_4241.jpg
    The first pic is after applying penetrating epoxy.

Jim

I'd do the same. Slather on CPES until it just wont take any more. Let it cure, sand lightly, paint on another coat and hot coat with varnish of your choice. I'm a big fan of Epifanes.

I have found the Jamestown CPES to work real well since I cant get Smith's any more. I thin it with denatured alcohol.

Thanks a lot for your help! The owner tells me he put a few coatings of some nano technology waterproof product, I'm waiting for him to send me a picture of it, so I'll see if I can apply varnish over it.

Cheers

OK, I'm still stuck at the same point...

How about just using epoxy on the hull and then some 2 part polyurethane below the waterline (probably white) and some UV resistant varnish on the sides?

Mind you the boat's plywood made, not wood.

Two part polyurethanes blister and lift if left immersed, so something else below waterline.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

A 2 part epoxy barrier coat is best on the bottom. It does not need top coating. It will not be shiny as LP, but it can be wet sanded /faired/added to more redily.
    interlux 2000 ,or an equivilent
    Can you get ALL the old paint out without damaging the outer ply skin?

The boat's already sanded, I think I'll just go for the Epoxy resin (2-3 coats) and see how it looks, then decide what to do below the waterline, I'm still not sure if painted or clear. They say clear is slow and this boat will be racing...

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Clear is slow? the heck that mean?
    If she is going to race, one would want to flip and fair the bottom....with a sandable barrier coat.

epoxy does not have UV resistance, you will need to top coat varnish or paint over any epoxy or it will all be ruined.

If this boat is going to be sailed competitively, you might want to consider the fairness of the hull before coating. Sanding, unless done with a long-ish process board will not leave the hull fair. Those irregularities, however small, will rob the boat of speed - particularly in lighter winds. It may need longboarding.

Northeast Pa and the Mouth of the Myakka River

we love our Snipes!

Quote Originally Posted by Rojinrojal View Post
    Thanks a lot for your help! The owner tells me he put a few coatings of some nano technology waterproof product, I'm waiting for him to send me a picture of it, so I'll see if I can apply varnish over it.

Cheers
    This part concerns me & I wonder what (if anything) will stick to it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Thanks for all your responses,

I will fair the bottom properly through longboard sanding, top coat and polish. The nanotech product is hopefully gone (I already sanded most of the hull) and I will definitely put a UV proteccion over the clear Epoxy (the boat's always stored inside, but still...)

Interesting thing to consider.... interlux makes a bottom paint for cruise ships that is hydrophobic. It is essentially a Teflon coating. It costs $1000 per gallon but creates 5% less resistance in the water. The cruise ships use it because it saves them fuel. That said that 5% reduction makes the boat go faster. Rustolem sells something that seems to me to be the same thing, but much cheaper - Rusoleum Never wet. It would be interesting to see how that works on the bottom of a light sailboat.