Thread: Unity is Biden's windmill

Default Unity is Biden's windmill

I got curious, so I watched a few minutes of FOX this evening.

I learned Trump did more for world peace than any president in history. I learned Biden doesn't have to heal wounds with our allies, as Trump never created any wounds. Etc.

As long as alternative facts are being sent out over the airways, cable, internet, etc. I don't think uniting this nation is possible.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Default Re: Unity is Biden's windmill

This admin should totally freeze out any Murdoch outlet at all. Let them have their alternate facts.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    This admin should totally freeze out any Murdoch outlet at all. Let them have their alternate facts.
    It would be nice if they could.

Everyone else is covering the party. Fox is spouting its usual bunch of baloney, but their viewers believe that baloney. Limbaugh's listeners believe his BS. Etc.

We are divided primarily on our sources of information. Sans changing that, unification is just a pipe dream.

Tuned into FOX about half an hour ago. They're ranting about Hunter Biden.
    Last edited by John Smith; 01-20-2021 at 10:02 PM.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Anne say that a freezeout is not the way to reconciliation, but then she's never watched Fox and we don't bother with the Murdoch press here.

Make every press briefing answer a correction of a lie told on Fox. Doesn't matter if it's an answer to whatever question is being asked. It's probably even better if the corrections have nothing to do with the question being asked.

Biden doesn't do Twitter, he needs to manipulate old media enough to make noise in the new.

At least it is clean, renewable energy.

At Fox, the honeymoon is already over:

aaa.jpg

Isn't the 1st brilliant?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Licence to lie.

I mean, the bishops are saying that Biden would "advance moral evils and threaten human life." Sounds pretty scary to me. Bishops are men of God, they wouldn't lie, right?

It's funny in a sad way that both the NYT and WaPo made a point of filling their websites with Biden stuff and trying to forget about Trump, but when you go to the "most read" in both papers they are full of stories about Trump. People are still more interested in Trump than in Biden.

Fox is just appalling. I glimpsed at its webpage today, and it's like a broken record.

Surely as its lies ring hollow more and more, more and more viewers will turn off. Better still campaign against companies that chose to advertise with Fox.

As I'm wont to say cash talks and BS walks.
    Jarndyce and Jarndyce

The Mighty Pippin
    Mirror 30141
    Looe
    Dragon KA93

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Isn't the 1st brilliant?
    The 1st does not protect fraud, libel, slander, or inciting violence. I just sent this to my congressional reps:

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT MESSAGE YOU WILL GET TODAY

On the evening of the inauguration, I popped into FOX news a couple of times. Among other things, they were ranting about Hunter Biden and presenting some of those alternative facts.

Given the number of people who are deliberately being misinformed by FOX, Newsmax, Sinclair, Limbaugh, etc. there is no way on earth to unify this country. Fraud is a crime. It is the intentional misrepresentation of matters of fact for personal gain. Political gain cannot be an exception. Libel and Slander are making false and derogatory statements about people. They are crimes. Political gain should not be an exception.

This nation is divided by race, ethnicity, and other things, but mostly we are divided because we are getting different sets of facts. Presenting 'alternative' facts for political purpose should be illegal. I think it is. Fraud, Libel, Slander, and inciting violence ARE NOT FREE SPEECH. THEY ARE CRIMES, and it's about time they get treated as such

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Gibbs View Post
    Fox is just appalling. I glimpsed at its webpage today, and it's like a broken record.

Surely as its lies ring hollow more and more, more and more viewers will turn off. Better still campaign against companies that chose to advertise with Fox.

As I'm wont to say cash talks and BS walks.
    Not just FOX. Newsmax and Sinclair. Then there's the talk radio folks like Limbaugh. Outside of politics they'd be charged with fraud, libel, or slander. 1st amendment covers opinions that may be offensive. It does not cover lying for gain, and political gain ought not be an exception.