Thread: Herreshoff Golden Ball

Default Herreshoff Golden Ball

I really like the lines of this one in the Sensible Cruising Designs book but for some reason they left out the plan sheet with the cabin arrangements. Does anyone have a print of it they could share I would just like to see it as it was designed

Default Re: Herreshoff Golden Ball

Most alongshore sailors salivate over that design.

Ian?

Yep - Ian is needed here. He has built one.

I think there have been a few threads on them as well.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I sketched a number of changes that Michael Mason made workable. First I broke the cabin line just abaft the main mast and took up with a slightly larger house/fo'c'stle hatch. I had just projected along the original lines. Michael made slight changes to make it all look right. My goals here were have deck level stance when working the main and jib halyards, and to have a centerline aft facing hatch to to fo'c'stle.

The general cabin arrangement is an owner's cabin, both sides with double berth convertible to sea berth port, vanity and reading nook starboard. Then head port, nice and big to allow showering. Meant to have just a second composting toilette starboard but at the last minute in the build I added a ceiling to that whole mid section between the forward bulkhead and the bulkhead separating the engine space from the main accomodation. This added very little lost space up high but down at the sole where the angle was maybe 10 degrees deadrise it took away so much floor space that a head was impossible. So, a nice big closet. Then the saloon with nearly centerline table and the galley with both a gas and diesel stove. In the "afterberth" I gave her gallery windows (one piece lexan but looks like four) in the transom and turned the berth to a pull out transverse double.

For sail I changed to fully battened high roach. I got the same sail area and nearly same centers and LFH drew with the main mast same height and mizzen just a bit higher.

In the cockpit I dispensed with the bridge deck - silly things - and with the cockpit combings which I find to not support my back - on this boat too low for that - but are great things to trip over.

I've been living aboard a succession of boats since 1980 so I've a good idea of what I want. I was also quite lucky to find Michael to do the necessary engineering and to talk me out of my worse ideas.

Will try to find illustrative pix.

I've been laid low with lower spine stenosis and unable to finish for a while. The joke at the yard is that for two years I'm six weeks from finish. Anyway, now a way forward and looking at a glorious spring.

ETA - This was LFH's last completed design and there are many things he might have reconciled better - like half the ballast was inside. I moved that all to the keel and the only inside ballast is for triming. And the leeboards show no ballast. They need at least 70# of lead each. Which means a more powerful lift.
    Last edited by Ian McColgin; 01-14-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Half the After Berth, extension not deployed.

And port forward side of After Berth, Young’s Electronics came to install the (left to right) AIS and on swing arm GPS and VHF. Below this is the whole electric panel. Pretty simple. Frame left is an inverter to eventually run this Mac. This is just port of the AfterBerth companionway. I’ll make a fold up chart table so all the nav gear can be used seated there. And the units can be swung into the companionway where they can be seen and used from the helm through the clear hatches.

Simplicity. These 'Bahamian Ports' are durable, weather tight, and cheap, relativly. Again with the lexan.

The Dickinson takes over a half an hour to light and heat up, throwing much heat on the way. Not the unit for a cuppa coffee on a summer’s morning. For that reason, to starboard we have a nice two burner propane unit. Huge ice box to starboard, sink to port.

Dad had brought this tiger back from India early in his PAA career. It occupied a spot by the living room bookcase when I was little and was always a favorite. It took some damage before I was remotely ready to put it on the boat but was nicely reframed, cleaned, and partly restored by a local business. It will look better at night when the plexiglass is not reflecting everything.

Wow! Just beautiful

Here is the drawing of the interior of Ian's Golden Ball, "Meg Merrilees". Hope it clarifies things a bit. Ian has described above what changes were made to the actual construction, above.

[/i]:MMD201301-02002 Interior Views.jpg
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Moving the inside ballast out to the keel, as every Golden Ball except the original I could track down did, only increased the draft a tiny bit. I'd wanted to add all of it to the keel latterally but that would have made for hard to fit garboards. In the end, added maybe an inch or so to floating depth right amidships and lets her dry out nicely on a level bottom.

Ian, It's great to see the new boat.
    I've been wondering how it was coming along.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Just to be clear the plan is with the changes correct?

Quote Originally Posted by jaxenro View Post
    Just to be clear the plan is with the changes correct?
    The plan that I posted is not the original Herreshoff layout, but the final design worked out by myself and Ian McColgin prior to the commencement of construction of his boat. The further changes that Ian mentioned above are the inevitable 'tweaks' that happen between the final design drawing and completion of construction.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Great stuff!

Excellent to see all this

What kind of heater in the reading nook?
    Elect a clown expect a circus

On the interior plan, am I looking at two engines?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yes, 2 engines.

The shoal draft necessitates the two engines as there is not enough draft to install a single prop with enough blade area to transmit 30 or so horses into the water.

Many power boaters with twin engines are fond of pivoting on "twisted sticks" - ahead for the unit on the outside of the turn, and astern for the unit on the inside of the turn. That does not work for Meg as the props are too close to the centerline to create much leverage. So when I need to put Meg through a no forward motion turn, I put the outside unit astern to hold her from headway and the inside unit ahead to put that thrust against the rudder.

As the saying goes: Different vessels, different long splices.