Thread: 3 Rivers Race 2021

Default 3 Rivers Race 2021

The 60th 3 Rivers Race is on 5th-6th June 2021,
    starting at 11:00, at Horning sailing club Norfolk. Up to 150 boats 14ft, to 40ft starting in roughly 10 boat starts over the next 2hours.
    You have 24 hours to complete 50 miles of river, under 3 bridges twice, one of which has just 6ft air draft.

The record is about 8 hours, the worst year just 13 boats finished. You and your crew against wind and tide.

There are about a dozen guardships around the course, each with a rescue boat, to which you shout your race number as you pass. There are 4 turning points on the course where you cross a line or round a buoy.
    Entry forms and notice of race are on 3rr.uk

That bridge..
    https://youtu.be/nSgMcPrcOXU
    One of the turning points.
    https://youtu.be/WOpGhAqFBqg
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Default Re: 3 Rivers Race 2021

We have 105 entries the last time I checked, the current forecast is for southerly winds 20-30 Mph which is a bit strong, High tide is 1.5 hours before the start, so that should get the boats away easily.
    I'm on Guardship duties on Hickling broad, but I don't expect to see the first boats till 15:00 and the main fleets till 21:00.

10 days till the race..

Just 5 days to the race, the forecast is now a misty 10mph Easterly, which would be a rare direction for the race. Wind against tide for the start, should give an increase in the apparent windspeed, and mean short tacking though the village just after the start.
    The club webcams for the race are now online https://www.horning-sailing.club/webcams/
    Club upriver, shows the start line roughly from the right hand edge of the decking, to to the nearest blue boat canopy on the far side.
    Club down river shows the straight through the village. The cameras are at 90degrees to speech other.
    Boats will slowly gather on the front from today for the race

A photo from a previous race.
    IMG_2627.thumb.JPG.1df51718e2f63a8868623fd0738bed3d.jpg
    There is a turning point for the race about 50yards behind the camera.

looks like a lot of fun...but the waterway gets a bit crowded around the turn around bouy!
    thanks for posting.

Cool. And some cool boats, too.

The river Ant gets a bit narrower the other side of all those boats in the photo, it's always fun sailing up that bit, you occasionally get one of the tourist boats like symphony 3 in the picture deciding to try to get through. The turning buoy is in the wider bit though not much more than what you can see.
    We do warn all the hire boat yards before the event, the owner of symphony and many other hire boats is a competitor!!.
    If the easterly comes off that's left of the photo, so it's will just be various angles of reach up and down that bit of river.

Are the race boats given any right of way privilege during the race? What about with each other? In viewing the videos it would seem that it's every boat for itself with bumps being expected and part of the experience.

I don't really have a bucket list, but I would like to view this event first hand. Perhaps next year, assuming covid goes away and stays away.

Jeff

The boats race to the Norfolk Broads Navigation Regulations Byelaws and speed limits (broads-authority.gov.uk) Which are all but the same in actual meaning as SOLAS / Colregs.
    The minor changes are size / draft limiting manouvering, towing, and fishing. Since the fishing season doesn't start till the 15th Jun that make no difference to this race. But normally the fishermen have to remove their tackle to allow navigation.

As far as Racing rules, they apply as per RRs 2021. However common sense has always applied on the broads, a normal collision or infringement of the rules Will be applied.

But if you are sailing along and a motor boat goes past washing the two boats together or as has happened an entire fleet was stretched across the river, with both sides calling for water off the bank and the middle calling for water for the buoy.
    There is absolutely no point in protests, every one just sorts themselves out as best they can without causing collisions or further infringements. (I was lucky in that one, I was just behind and as they swept past the mark, I had clear water to turn and overtook many)

In this race that definitely applies, you are effectively racing the course not each other , it's common for only half the boats to finish within the required time. Getting into a tacking match with someone just slows both of you down, it's not really the done thing. So you let the faster boat through without impeding yourself, and get on with getting round the course.

What will get penalised is cheating, we have a wandering marshall or two on boat or on foot watching, all the Guard ships keep an eye out, and of course there are people all over the place videoing the race these days.

Prime examples of cheating were one year I was at the back of a fleet of boats clinging onto the bank to stop being washed back out by the tide. Then I saw red green, red green, red green, as the boat behind was waggling the tiller under cover of darkness to make his way forward. They stopped when they realised we there.

About 4 years ago a dinghy managed to get from one Guardship to the other when no other boats were moving as the wind had died, we suspect paddling or continuous roll tacking.. It couldn't be proved of course, but they haven't received another invite to the race..

The race is almost always the weekend after the second bank holiday in May, ie the first weekend in June. However next year that Bank Holiday is in June for the Queens 70th. It's not yet been announced when the race will be next year, I suspect it will be the second weekend in June.

The main viewing points are Swan Green between the Clubhouse and the Swan Pub in Horning, Parking limited the day of the race due to the number of watchers / competitors assistants. Get there early
    Ludham bridge Very limited, parking in two laybys but normally a good spectator spot.
    Potter Bridge, plenty of parking in the supermarket car park but a 3 hour limit.
    Acle Bridge very limited parking again.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post

I don't really have a bucket list, but I would like to view this event first hand. Perhaps next year, assuming covid goes away and stays away.

Jeff
    I've seen it once, by accident, the whole family had booked a holiday and hired a boat from Herbert Woods yard which is right beside the Potter Heigham bridge.

The handover was due to take place mid afternoon and with a few hours to kill the fastest of the race fleet started to arrive, these were generally expert, the real carnage was further back in the fleet.

Excellent entertainment.

A boat on the broads is a fine week's holiday.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Glad you enjoyed it, the Herbert woods foot bridge over the entrance to their moorings is part of the course. Once you are past it then you are allowed to paddle / drop the mast etc..

About what year were you there?

Either 94 or 95...

Returned a couple of other years to sail rather than motor.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

That far back, I would have been competing in my Lysander 17, red sails, Number 722. The maximum handicap they'll issue is 25% off your finishing time, A Lysander's true Norfolk handicap is 35%. I did however get round in time most years, recalculating to a 35% handicap, the best she did was 16th overall which was about 50th on the handicap they gave her.

You'll have to get up here and do some more sailing...

In an hour, I head to the club to pick up radio, race sheets , buoy, flashing light for the boat, and various banners..
    I've been occasionally watching the boats arriving for the race on here...

Horning Sailing Club (horning-sailing.club)

The start line is from right of shot across to roughly the red boat cover the other side.
    They'll then head down river with the tide, and hopefully the wind tomorrow at 11:00 UK time.. for the first start, the last start is 12:20

opps an echo

It was a long old race this year, beautiful weather. But not enough wind, and that died overnight.
    We were cleared to finish guardship duties at 06:00 as there was only one boat left we hadn't seen or retired, and that was so far away they had no chance of reaching us before end of race.
    When I got back to the club house only 3 boats had finished, by the time I left after breakfast at 09:00, of the 116 entries, 20 did not start, 47 retired, and 5 had finished. I'd never seen a Thames A rater finish before, they normally finish before midnight they get 30% added to their finishing time they are that fast.

The Final Count was 57 retired 20 Did not start, and 33 finished. A good variety of boats finished.
    the full race results are here. Horning Sailing Club (horning-sailing.club)

A couple of good videos of the race

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1kUBHj4XF8,

https://youtu.be/L28qe_h48zQ

Thanks. I especially enjoyed seeing the drone video footage. It gives me a better understanding of the area. The course is truly winding and much of it is not accessible by land.

Jeff

Yes I love sailing in the area.

Up river of the shots where the sailors have come from where they have a choice of routes it's treed both sides for a mile or two, then houses one side and trees the other.

The club does a variety of normal club racing on a Sunday, each summer season the races are split into:
    Round the buoys near the club, 4 series of up to 7 starts
    Further up river round the buoys on the open waters of a broad, 4 series of up to 7 starts
    Down river races to a pub have lunch then race back again. arranged for when the tide is right. That goes through some of the shown areas in those videos.

This video is of the club house, some sailing and other stupid things we get up to...
    https://youtu.be/6Lm75BEMQHo

That video mentions regatta week, First week in August. (29th Jul to 4th August this year) all races are approximately 1 hour.
    2 Race series (up to 7 starts) the Saturday
    4 race series on Sunday,
    Then Monday to Friday 4 Main series, plus up to 5 other one off races each day either at lunch time or after the main series..

there are many other events as well.

All run by volunteers including the 3 Rivers race..
    Last edited by The Q; 06-09-2021 at 08:39 AM.