Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Think

Default If You Think

The Moron Horde is going away, think again.

I went to the Academy big box sports equipment store looking for some shoes, and I cruised by the gun counter.

On a 40 foot display, they had 5 long arms and 4 revolvers.

No ammunition of any kind.

I spoke with the clerk, and he said they get two massive deliveries every week, and most of it never even hits the shelf before it's sold.
    Rattling the teacups.

Default Re: If You Think

My country is ill!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/trum...010030535.html

Lede:
    Trump’s Attempt To Overturn The Election Came Right Out Of The Fascist Handbook

Clint Edwards
    Mon, November 23, 2020, 5:00 PM PST

Just before the November 2020 presidential election, Jason Stanley, professor of philosophy at Yale University and author of How Fascism Works: The Politics of Us and Them was on NPR discussing how the U.S. was losing its democratic status, and mostly because of Donald Trump. He hit on some points that really gave me pause, particularly when he defined fascism as “a cult of the leader who promises national restoration in the face of humiliation brought on by supposed communists, Marxists and minorities and immigrants who are supposedly posing a threat to the character and the history of a nation.”
    When you can take the pebble from my hand, it will be time for you to leave.

So what were the guns that were left? The ones that discerning trumpers turned their noses up at?

I spent a # of years writing a system for a gun mfr. Great people, but I just couldn't support a company that focused on concealed carry & AR clones, so I stopped doing work for them. I still talk with some there & their sales this year have set all sorts of new records over last year, which set new records over the year before, etc.

Skip nailed it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

texas!
    Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post

I went to the Academy big box sports equipment store looking for some shoes, and I cruised by the gun counter.

I spoke with the clerk, and he said they get two massive deliveries every week, and most of it never even hits the shelf before it's sold.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

so what'd you buy?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    so what'd you buy?
    A pair of crappy sneakers.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    So what were the guns that were left? The ones that discerning trumpers turned their noses up at?
    Trump pets.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Creepy snackers.
    Is that another name for Trump supporters? Seems apt from the photos!
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

Quote Originally Posted by TerryLL View Post
    For a particularly bright guy, you are missing the obvious.
    Bright?

ME?

You obviously have me confused with my second cousin.

So, what am I missing, o' Sage of Idaho?
    Rattling the teacups.

It's not the right-wing gun nuts who are buying out the gun stores. That group has been massively gunned up for years. It's everyone else who heretofore was content to be unarmed.
    Uhhh . . .

OK.

Somehow, that doesn't make me feel better.
    Rattling the teacups.

It's not the right-wing gun nuts who are buying out the gun stores. That group has been massively gunned up for years. It's everyone else who heretofore was content to be unarmed.
    2 years ago I was waiting to get into a Dick's Sporting Goods in NH. 3 guys were talking with each other: "I wish we could buy more than 2 boxes of ammo, I only have 150,000 rounds." "I have almost 250,000, but that's not enough to protect me when it all comes crashing down." "I have some work to do, I only have 100,000 rounds."

However, you are correct that there are huge numbers of folks buying concealed carry because they are being told to be afraid. Luckily, they only need to take a week-long class to get their card & then they are experts.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The question for Americans is: Are you the hunter or the hunted?

I'm not buying it. The loons who have been gunned up for years simply got more scared. Folks who have stayed away from guns all their lives aren't going to suddenly buy them for a pending uprise.

I know one guy who has over 1000 guns. Think about that a moment. He is the neighbor to one of my co-workers, he is very ​intense
    Last edited by Art Haberland; 11-25-2020 at 05:13 PM.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    2 years ago I was waiting to get into a Dick's Sporting Goods in NH. 3 guys were talking with each other: "I wish we could buy more than 2 boxes of ammo, I only have 150,000 rounds." "I have almost 250,000, but that's not enough to protect me when it all comes crashing down." "I have some work to do, I only have 100,000 rounds."

However, you are correct that there are huge numbers of folks buying concealed carry because they are being told to be afraid. Luckily, they only need to take a week-long class to get their card & then they are experts.
    I wonder what the designed life of your typical 9mm handgun is.

5k rounds? 10?

The 120mm gun used on the Abrams M1A1 lasts about 500 rounds before it gets sloppy.

Actually, it should scare the crap out of you.
    Gee, THANKS, Captain Obvious!
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Creepy snackers.
    Mosquitoes?

5k rounds? 10?

The 120mm gun used on the Abrams M1A1 lasts about 500 rounds before it gets sloppy.

25-30 rounds and the fire fight is over..It's the 500# banded lug frag bombs that end things if well placed. We never want to go here.

Lt Obvious.
    PaulF

One of the problems I've been unable to get anyone to address is the people who buy/own all these weapons will die one day. The guns live forever.

SOME of the families of the deceased may well wish to get rid of some or all of the guns. They ought to get a better offer from the local police than from an ad on Craig's list.
    "alternative facts (lies)" are a cancer eating through a democracy, and will kill it. 1st amendment is not absolute.

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    One of the problems I've been unable to get anyone to address is the people who buy/own all these weapons will die one day. The guns live forever.

SOME of the families of the deceased may well wish to get rid of some or all of the guns. They ought to get a better offer from the local police than from an ad on Craig's list.
    Craigslist does not tolerate ads for firearms or ammunition.
    Rattling the teacups.

Quote Originally Posted by paulf View Post
    25-30 rounds and the fire fight is over..It's the 500# banded lug frag bombs that end things if well placed. We never want to go here.

Lt Obvious.
    I hereby promote you to General.

Comes with a hefty stipend and an open tab at Glen's place.

Rattling the teacups.

Relax. According to statistics, most of those shot will be in gun cleaning accidents and suicides(still tragic to be sure). I’m only somewhat concerned about an armed insurrection.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Relax. According to statistics, most of those shot will be in gun cleaning accidents and suicides(still tragic to be sure). I’m only somewhat concerned about an armed insurrection.
    Yeah.

Then I went to t6he lumberyard, and spoke with a couple of guys about what I had experienced at Academy.

Every one of them looked at me like I had a horn growing out of my forehead.

'Well yeah, I have thousands of rounds, and Antifa has been stockpiling RPGs, but our boys are gonna give it to 'em hard.'

I would guess that you interact only with professionals/rich folks.

The potential energy waiting to discharge is horrendous.
    Rattling the teacups.

5k rounds? 10?

Typical handguns run at low cartridge pressures (versus high powered rifles) and thus the barrels last a very long time. Military handguns are typically tested for something like 40,000 rounds, but that is mostly to detect any fatigue strength issues.

Smallbore rimfire rifles can typically go tens of thousands of rounds due to lower bore pressures (I think, I didn't shoot those a lot.)

Standard high power rifles have a barrel life of probably 3000-5000 rounds depending on a lot of factors. Polishing the "frostiness" out of the barrel throat every 1000 rounds with a fine lapping compound, (can't recall the name), prolongs barrel life. A good hard barrel can go 10,000 I think.

A really HOT cartridge like the .264 Winchester Magnum (a little too much "overbore", a misnomer that means too small of a bullet diameter for the cartridge volume, it should be called "underbore") used to wear out barrels in as little as 100 rounds. Improved gunpowders have greatly increased that in recent decades.

The original main gun on the M1 Abrams was a 105mm rifled barrel with a relatively short length of 52 calibers, shooting a projectile at about 5000 feet per second (about twice the speed of a typical high-powered rifle bullet), thus high enough pressures to wear out a barrel in as little as 100 rounds. As a result, it was superseded on the M1A1 by a 120mm smoothbore gun that shoots an "arrow" (rod penetrator) of tungsten-carbide out of an equally short barrel, but rifling is not needed as the fin-stabilized arrow is surrounded by a discharging sabot, thus the barrels have a much longer life in excess of 1500 rounds.

Assault weapons flew off the shelf throughout the Obama administration. Yes, there were shootings—a record number of mass shootings. These were all awful to be sure. There was the Bundy debacle. However, no armed takeover attempt, no civil war. Most republicans believed Obama Was born in Kenya. Most republicans believe trump was robbed. Most republicans will deal with the grief.

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Assault weapons flew off the shelf throughout the Obama administration. Yes, there were shootings—a record number of mass shootings. These were all awful to be sure. There was the Bundy debacle. However, no armed takeover attempt, no civil war. Most republicans believed Obama Was born in Kenya. Most republicans believe trump was robbed. Most republicans will deal with the grief.
    Where are you, Massachusetts?
    Rattling the teacups.

I used to shoot in competition, several hundred rounds in a weekend. Used to handload in advance over the winter. At most I used 3000 rounds a year. I may have had 10,000 empty used cartridges waiting to be resized, several drums of powder (bulk, and several types, different burn speeds), but that quantity of empties was mostly because they were free, left on the range by military shooters.

The quantities they are stating above is prepping for a war. But I'll tell you what, try hauling around a quarter million rounds in anything smaller than a medium duty truck. And, think about how bad a shot those folks are. Unless they plan on shooting a quarter million people.

Speaking of marksmanship, when I shot in competition, I actually couldn't afford it. I was sponsored by the government, they loaned me a rifle, gave me ammo, and paid TDY (travel expenses). The Civilian Marksmanship Program and the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice. And you know why those agencies were established? Because of declining marksmanship skills and unfamiliarity with the standard service rifles among the US population. Thus, I was also required to attend the Small Arms Firing School at the National Matches, instructing me on the lowly M-16.

Hmm... so I guess this means that with more proper military indoctrination, those folks might feel they need a little less ammo. I guess that's not where I planned this argument to go. I'll have to think on this.

where are you, massachusetts?
    Wisconsin. Had a mass shooting the day before yesterday. Not civil war, just a typical good old fashion US mass shooting. A guy with a beef.

250,000 rounds per confirmed kill in Afghanistan - if that's the figure for a trained military, what is it going to be for Bubba and his bros?
    https://www.independent.org/news/article.asp?id=2003

Pete

Shooting Afghan prisoners and civilians only need 1-3 rounds a head.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-...eport/12909166

Of course we wouldn't be there but for another US OS adventure we were 'invited' into.

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    250,000 rounds per confirmed kill in Afghanistan - if that's the figure for a trained military, what is it going to be for Bubba and his bros?

Pete
    'A trained military' engaging quite likely the most thoroughly battle-hardened, multigenerational partisans on the planet at this time and on a phenomenally defensible battlefield, as well.
    Rattling the teacups.

'A trained military' engaging quite likely the most thoroughly battle-hardened, multigenerational partisans on the planet at this time and on a phenomenally defensible battlefield, as well.
    I've seen Dawn of the Dead - shopping malls are defensible. Yes, I'm being facetious, but how many rounds can bubba actually carry? If he sits at home on his pile of ammo like Smaug the dragon, to defend it - then he's not being offensive (in the military sense). What do these guys think they are going to do with all that ammo? Short answer, I bet they haven't thought it through at all, but it sure sounds cool.

Prte

Pete
    So, the guy with the quarter million rounds was only equipped to kill one person? I feel better already.

Pete
    That depends on what guns Bubba and co use, what for and how much they shoot. My father and his cousin hunted for a living and shot together for several years. They bought their ammo five thousand rounds at a time. The kill ratio would have been well above ninety percent. There are plenty of Americans- non military- who can drop an animal at a thousand yards. The fat f#### with the AR 15's want to look tough and make lots of noise, but I doubt most of them could hit a car at two hundred yards with 'em. JayInOz