Thread: Trumpets Build Help wanted

Default Trumpets Build Help wanted

The Wooden Boat Series, "100 Boat Designs Reviewed" 1997. was instrumental in our choosing Wes Farmer's "Trumpet" as a build after reading Mike O'Brien's review of four classic outboard cruisers. In his review he says of Trumpet "She's no easy boat to build, but those who have put her together say the work is well spent." At our present stage of build we are about to deck in the topside. Arguably the most difficult work is done but we have a number of questions we would love to raise with any of those chosen few who put Trumpet or Trumpets together. Not the least of which is. How do you allow for drainage to clean out the bilges of what is a giant egg crate of battens and frames? If anyone has knowledge or experience of this unique design we would love to hear from you. We think she is coming on as a very handsome boat. I attach here a recent photo

Default Re: Trumpets Build Help wanted

Wow! Nice build. I can't help with the question but I love Weston Farmer's designs and I was just admiring the plans for Trumpet a few days ago. I would love to see further progress on this one. And so you actually used his batten-seam lapstrake method? I would have been tempted to try and convert it to glued seam lapstrake.
    - Chris

Life is short. Go boating now!

Default Re: Trumpets Build Help wanted

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Wow! Nice build. I can't help with the question but I love Weston Farmer's designs and I was just admiring the plans for Trumpet a few days ago. I would love to see further progress on this one. And so you actually used his batten-seam lapstrake method? I would have been tempted to try and convert it to glued seam lapstrake.
    Hi CST, Yes we have followed Wes's Batten on Strake model and it is not an easy build but you can certainly understand the underlying strength in this design. Our issues now are how to clean out a working hull after a days fish guts in the bilges!! We have tried to modify the design to a modern epoxy join on the strake to strake surface but the structure remains with an egg crate effect inside the hull! Very strong but a patchwork of puddles! Still in the end it will be a lovely boat. Photos will follow.