Thread: What weight do you think this is?

Default What weight do you think this is?

Someone is selling this and they don't know the weight. Looks like there's a lot of it.
    Anyone have a ballpark idea of the weight and how much is on the roll?
    120779947_3348341791925325_6078319392653073924_n.jpg120765173_3348341711925333_7219452765324443354_n.jpg

Default Re: What weight do you think this is?

Don't know the exact weight, it's called basket weave, used kevlar, same weave, 50" wide rolls, 70' length, would guess it's a medium weight weight cloth.

Looks something like 18oz plain weave, (5 ends/inch) - looking at US prices quickly (the first one I see is eBay) it looks like a 50” wide role sells on line at $5.39 per yard

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fibergla...4383.l4275.c10
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Use a scale to weigh a small sample, say 12" square. From there you can compute the weight per square yard. Then weigh the whole roll, making an educated guess to account for the weight of the cardboard tube, and from there you can compute the closely approximate length or square yards. Bring a gram scale and a bathroom scale with you, or ask the seller to do this for you.
    Steve Martinsen

+1

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Before I'd buy something like that I'd want to know how and where it had been stored. It is most likely Volan-sized. Sizing is the fiber treatment which allows the resin to saturate the cloth nicely. Some of the most common sizings (like Volan) are water soluble, which tends to include periods of really high humidity along with accidentally getting wet. If the sizing has been compromised, the cloth can have spots or areas which will not saturate properly when the resin is applied. If I'm looking at a roll of glass, I put a pretty high priority on seeing that it's been sitting stored inside a plastic bag to keep it clean and dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Before I'd buy something like that I'd want to know how and where it had been stored. It is most likely Volan-sized. Sizing is the fiber treatment which allows the resin to saturate the cloth nicely. Some of the most common sizings (like Volan) are water soluble, which tends to include periods of really high humidity along with accidentally getting wet. If the sizing has been compromised, the cloth can have spots or areas which will not saturate properly when the resin is applied. If I'm looking at a roll of glass, I put a pretty high priority on seeing that it's been sitting stored inside a plastic bag to keep it clean and dry.
    Now that's something that I’d never heard about before - thanks Todd, very good to know!!
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Thanks all!

That looks to me like woven roving, which is used in polyester layups between layers of mat for directional strength. It's never used as a single layer and it soaks up a lot of resin. If you're laminating a hull in a mold it might be of use but otherwise probably not. I looked it up and it's 24ozs. a square yard.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Ledger; 10-29-2020 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ledger View Post
    That looks to me like woven roving, which is used in polyester layups between layers of mat for directional strength. It's never used as a single layer and it soaks up a lot of resin. If you're laminating a hull in a mold it might be of use but otherwise probably not. I looked it up and it's 24ozs. a square yard.

Jim
    Jim,
    You just made my decision for me. I'm building my first boat and was thinking of doing this as one coat. I'm not even going to consider it and will look at my original plan of multiple layers of 6 oz cloth for my 17 foot center console.