Thread: Siri, Doug Hylan's reimagining of Iris

Default Siri, Doug Hylan's reimagining of Iris

I fell In love with Iris, when I saw her image in W.P.Stephens' 1898 publication, "Canoe and Boat Building". It was some years later that I learned of Doug Hylan's Siri, a redesign of Iris that aimed to make her a more tractable craft for the modern sailor (augmenting the beam, increasing the ballast and adding a centerboard). This was the boat I had to have.

So, after a two year hiatus from boat building, having spent three years building a Nexus 21 ft Dory - my wife, Carol, wanted a powerboat, - I bit the bullet. As I needed time to let my savings to recover from that project, I decided to start with a 1/8th scale model. Building a model is a good way to understand some of the issues one will meet when dealing with the full scale project. In any case, a model itself can be a thing of beauty and a source of great satisfaction. Here are some images:

IMG_2060.jpg IMG_2061.jpg IMG_2063.jpg

Well, with the model built, I have to start the real thing. I'm planning to take it slow, as Carol gets a bit lonely if I hide too long in my workshop. Here's a start:

IMG_1988.jpg

I'm a little further along than the photo shows, the backbone is almost complete. However, now spring is here - we just had our last snow fall, I think - I have to get my other craft ready for the season. So, I don't expect to make much progress over the summer. I'll try to post more images as the work progresses.

Default Re: Siri, Doug Hylan's reimagining of Iris

Well if the workmanship and the detail that has gone into the model is anything to go by, I am very much looking forward to the build progress of the real deal.
    Even the molds look classy.
    Great looking boat with a lot of character.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Wow! Great work on the model, and the set-up.

Interesting to see only thwarts for seating. Do canoe yawl skippers tend to face forward? Or do you predict you'll sail from the floorboards, using the hull as a backrest?

I generally sail from side benches, facing diagonally forward/sideways. I'm not sure I can envision bench seating I would be comfortable with the layout I see in your model, but I don't have firsthand experience with canoe yawls. Sitting on the floorboard seems like it'd be OK--I often do that in my boat, even though I also have longitudinal side benches.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Thanks Mike and Tom for your kind words.

As far as seating is concerned, I'm still in two minds as to what I want in the actual boat. I'm with you Tom in my preference for side benches, but for the model I decided to follow Doug's design to the T. Once I have the hull completed and turned over, I'll map out the decking and cockpit space and figure out what will work best for me ergonomically.

Andrew

The attention to detail evident on the model is outstanding.Repeating it with larger pieces should be a lot easier.

What an absolutely exquisite model. Wow! My only concern is over the bolt spacing of the boomkin fixings at deck level, but then again it is a tiny steadying sail.

Watching you build with great interest.

Martin.

Zounds! That's a beautiful model!

Can you give us the dims. of the real thing?

Mike

That is an amazing model of a beautiful design.

Here are the specs:
    IMG_0141.png

As far as the details of the model are concerned, I expect that such things as placement of fasteners and hardware will change on the full scale version. In particular the structure supporting the mizzen sheet will be strengthened to support an electric outboard. The marina where the boat will be kept necessitates some sort of auxiliary power for access to the finger in which she'll be docked. I will install oar locks too, following Doug Harlan's plans. Even though she's a heavy boat, I like that extra bit of insurance.

By the way, if anyone knows of someone else who has or is building Siri, I'd be interested to know about it. I have not come up with any evidence that any version of Iris or Siri that has been built since the publication of W.P.Stephens' book other than this one hull in the Mystic Seaport Collection:

IMG_1779.jpg

This is listed in the 2001 publication "Mystic Seaport Watercraft" on page 111 as the canoe yawl "Half Moon" built around 1930. By the way, the construction of "Half Moon" is carvel. Doug's plans describe cold molded or lapstrake construction.

Andrew

Beautiful!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I built a model of my fantail launch before I built the full sized boat, but it was nothing compared to the detail you went to. Mine got tossed on a shelf in my shop. Yours can go on display at a museum.
    Very much looking forward to seeing the full sized boat go together.
    I'm a big fan of seeing old designs come back to life.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yes, mine was over-kill if the purpose was to understand construction issues. Still, it was a good COVID project.

Andrew

Lovely boat and stunning model.
    IŽll be following.