Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 89

Thread: Newbie needs help with small DIY sail plan, trimaran setup.

Default Re: Newbie needs help with small DIY sail plan, trimaran setup.

The Laser sail set up the way it currently is on your mast is still very inefficient. You have deep draft, but it is in the wrong place and your entry angle is inconsistent, and for the most part, quite excessive. A new sail which actually fits, or the Laser sail with the proper mast would probably make a much better towboat. I wouldn't get too invested in the whole towboat idea though. It's likely to make your boat really hard to control and be an idea that gets abandoned pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I wouldn't get too invested in the whole towboat idea though. It's likely to make your boat really hard to control and be an idea that gets abandoned pretty quickly.
    Well, looks like I need to build more small trimarans then! I could have my own family armada(4 kids) of trimaran pirates, marauding up and down the lake!

I was wondering about the control aspect as well. I can definitely imagine it would be a lot of sail tending to keep decent headway going while something is dragging behind me pulling me this way and that. I have towed people (weaker paddlers that can't keep up) while paddling kayaks and it is a constant steering issue.
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn’t thinking.”
    “You’re never beaten until you admit it.”
    - General George Smith Patton

I loved reading your story and registered to the forum here just so I could see your pictures and comment.

Your project is similar to mine and I will be going back through it multiple times before I am finished with my own to hopefully learn and keep myself from making any more mistakes than I need to
    I am turning a 14ft canoe into a sailing trimaran, never having sailed making up my own plans as I go along. The outriggers will be 12ft long and the beams will be as well, I also built a hollow wooden mast and boom, but more of an airfoil shape with a built in track and layer of glass inside and outside. Got a cheap 420 Main Sail off of ebay I am hoping to use it with.
    https://www.community.boatbuildercen...p?f=13&t=65490

I am especially interested in how you end up modifying or reinforcing your leeboard and how that works out for you. So much I don't know, but so much fun playing with and reading about.

Well Narfi, after looking at your link, I think I would highly recommend getting the CLC Sailrig plans. I tried to roll my own, but I am no naval architect. I got the sailrig plans and after that everything fell into place. They are super cheap ($89 for plans and manual) compared to the time and wasted materials I spent on trying to do my own thing.

As far as the leeboard goes, if you scroll back to my pictures of the "stays" that I made out of stainless turn buckles, that is what I have done so far. I keep toying with the idea of building a wooden frame on the side of my kayak to hold the leeboard. The one thing I don't like about my leeboard rig right now is the fact that if I need to raise it up in a hurry, I am stuck. Takes at least 2 minutes to unscrew the turn buckles to release the snap rings stays. So I have to stop about 20 meters from shore before I make landfall on a beach, drop the sail, raise the leeboard, and paddle just a few strokes to come into the beach. I could also try to come up with a better "quick release" mechanism for the stays. If I could do a better quick release, I would not even consider a wooden frame on the kayak.

However, the stainless turnbuckle stays are working for me for now. And, a wooden leeboard "trunk" on the side of my kayak would take a lot of work with all the sanding, fairing, filleting, fiberglass, epoxy, etc. And I would also have to spend time designing one with some good reinforcement on the inside of the kayak, because there are HUGE forces acting on that leeboard. I learned that the hard way my second time out. Of course the winds were gale force, but I ain't complaining. I might do that next winter, but for now I am going to sail the crap out of this thing the way it is. In the Army, if what you have is working, you aint getting a new one. Thats why we went into trash-can-istan with plastic doors on our HUMV's, but that's another soapbox session.

I made my leeboard with the NACA 0009 airfoil data (NACA,0009,Airfoil,M=0.0%,P=0.0%,T=9.0%), and gave it about twice the surface area than what the sailrig plans called for. I did this because all the numbers I researched from various sailing /naval architecture websites said I needed more given my sail area and boat dimensions. And it works very well when it is stayed with the turnbuckles. I have a slight weather helm, and if I let go of the tiller, she turns into the wind and after about 5 minutes puts herself in irons. I think the reason it flexed so much in the CLC - designed mount was because I had waaaaayyy more surface area than their designed leeboard, and the faster you go, the more force there is against the board. That day that it cracked and broke, I was doing about 8 knots in a 20 knot wind that was gusting to 30 knots. I didn't know any better, but experience is a cruel teacher.

I also made the rudder using the same airfoil profile,and also made it with more surface area than the plans called for. It only takes a slight nudge to turn the boat. Now that I have gotten a few excursions under my belt, I have learned a good setting to tack with as long as I have decent wind. Anything under about 3 knots of wind and I still have to use the paddle to coax it on around.

It is indeed so much fun to play around with stuff and experiment to get things working. My next objective is to get the sail more efficient. I figured on any given day that I have been out in the boat, I am only getting about 50% efficiency. That is, my boat speed is about 50% of the wind speed. That causes me issue when the wind is light, and also when the wind is strong. So I am going to use Tom Bradshaw's advice and build a new sail that is more efficient. When I get that done, I will take this laser sail and modify it as he suggested several posts above, and use it on my next kayak trimaran. Because.... you can't build just one....

Enjoy the ride Narfi!!

Oh yeah guys, I was able to get out again this past Monday night. Winds started out at 7 knots, then in 10 minutes it dropped to 3 knots, then to about 1.5 to 2 knots. Very light winds, so I didn't get much distance in the hour and a half that I had. I ended up slipping back into the boat ramp at a blistering 1 mile per hour. But at least I didn't have to paddle. However, I did get a nice picture of the sunset across my windward ama:

EDIT: for some reason that pic didn't make it. Trying again:20210510_200532.jpg
    Last edited by Lee.007; 05-14-2021 at 09:02 AM.

Lee,

Glad to see your progress.
    I lost my password for quite a while and just got back.
    Good to see Todd pitched in, I have always respected his opinion and suggestions.

Finally I got to see the pictures!! Trying to imagine the boat got really frustrating.

FYI, the size of the lee board is not what broke it.
    The board can only develop the same side force as the sail puts on the boat.

Hey upchurchmr! I was wondering what happened to you.

Took my son and my nephew out last night.. I was actually towing them on their kayaks at 3 knots until the wind died! Here are some more pics:

EDIT: Fixed! --

Son and Nephew towed behind:
    20210513_194024.jpg

Son took this one from his kayak(cue Pirates of the Caribbean music):
    Resized_20210513_200216.jpg

Picture of the moon (the little white spot) after we got back to shore:
    Resized_20210513_211921.jpg
    Last edited by Lee.007; 05-14-2021 at 10:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.007 View Post
    I would say that one picture is worth all the work you have done so far!
    (your next batch of pictures didnt work either though :/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee.007 View Post
    Well Narfi, after looking at your link, I think I would highly recommend getting the CLC Sailrig plans. I tried to roll my own, but I am no naval architect.
    Me either but still having fun trying to figure it all out....
    I had considered those plans as well as a few others, but they didn't really seem suited to what I wanted and it is hard to know how flexible any of them are without purchasing them.
    They seem perfect for your kayak, but their big size goes up to 70ft2 sail, the sail I bought is 80ft2(and building the mast/boom to be able to upgrade to a 98ft2 sail later if we decide its needed. Your kayak seems a good fit for you but even at just 14ft long the canoe we built is a beast. First summer we launched it my son and I took it 5 miles up the lake 'boat camping' as in all the luxuries..... 6man tent, blow up mattresses, bedding, totes of food, etc.... that was before I started dieting so between the two of us we weighed close to 350lbs plus all the gear.

20180720_084323.jpg

This last summer we took it camping in the big boat we built(17ft fast skiff), and for short stints had me, my wife, our son and our pit bull all in it...... So it can haul some weight, I was concerned that the CLC plans wouldn't give large enough outriggers or sail which is why I am kind of faking it as I go.... Our outriggers will have roughly 350lbs plus or minus buoyancy in each hull with a 12ft beam which I am hoping will give it plenty of stability. I am not hoping to win any races or anything, just to be a solid platform to have fun learning to sail with. I suppose I should start a thread here with some info and ask questions instead of hijacking your thread, sorry about that.

No worries about hijacking the thread, but yeah, you might get more responses if you start your own.

I didn't know you were trying to go that big on your amas. If I were you, I would take the CLC plans and scale them up by a factor of 3. The current plans provide about 100 pounds of buoyancy, plus or minus. Now of course I am not naval architect, so I don't know if scaling the dimensions by 3 will also scale the buoyancy by 3 as well. I actually thought about using my autocad to plug in the numbers of the CLC plans and see what happens. Autocad will tell me the volume of my 3d drawings, which will get me close to figuring the buoyancy. I want a bigger boat to carry more people, but I think there is more freedom and flexibility if I build the family a fleet of smaller boats and teach them all how to have fun sailing as well.

I will have to see what is going on with the freaking pictures. I think it is because I was trying to send them from my phone.

Scaling in 3 dimensions cubes the volume

Edit:
    For simplicity take a 1x1x1 ft cube, it is 1ft3
    Scale it up by 10% and you have a 1.1x1.1x1.1 cube that is now 1.331ft3

If you scaled that 1ft3 cube up 300%, it would be a 3x3x3 cube with a volume of 27ft3 o.O crazy
    Last edited by narfiwillem; 05-14-2021 at 12:26 PM.

Hey all, I fixed the pics from our "towing experiment" last night. Scroll up to see them, post #287.

Hey All,

I just realized it had been a minute since last posted. I have not been back on the water since I was towing my son and nephew that one evening. Family life and work have taken over my sailing time. However, I plan to get back on the water the next day the weather permits some good wind and decent temperatures here in Georgia, i.e. not sweltering. This weekend would have been great, but I had family commitments.

I am also working with Sailrite on making a better sail. I plan to use the one I have now, while building a new one, and then modify my laser sail to be used for some stormy days as a lighter sail. Oh, I am going to build a boom too. Hopefully I will have a better sail by fall when the temps come back down into comfort zone!

I did some searching for boom design on here and other websites. Cant seem to find a decent pic or instruction on best practices for building a boom. Can someone point me to a decent boom building thread? Figured I would get busy on a boom while waiting to build a new sail. That way I can make the laser sail a little better for now.

I have a gooseneck from sailrite, and it seems pretty self explanatory. But I guess my biggest questions are what is the best way to secure the clew to the end of the boom, and what is the best way to attach the sheet?

One simple way to attach the clew for folks who rarely adjust the outhaul while sailing (which is likely most of us) involves a slot cut in the boom's end and a horizontal dowel running through the boom close to its end.

fc0b6398.jpg

fc0b6372.jpg

If you want more adjustability on the fly you can always mount a sheave in the end of the boom, or a fairlead, and run a line from the clew around or through it and back forward to a cleat on the boom a few feet forward of the boom's aft end.

For the mainsheet, there are a few knots that hold well in position and don't generally slip or slide (rolling hitch, topsail halyard bend, etc.) if you just want to hang the sheet off the boom. If you want a more sophisticated system, there are a variety of small boat systems incorporating blocks that work well, just depending on how much sail area you are dealing with and how fancy you want to get with it.

Thanks for the drawings Todd!

I have a question for those out there that have built CLC Sailrigs in the past. Has anyone ever thought of putting hinges in the akas and folding them for transport/storage?

A lot of times the good wind on the lake does not happen on the weekend. I want to be able to sail in the evening after work, but the setup time for lashing the akas and bolting the amas, then stepping the mast and bending the sail is taking me at least 30 minutes, sometimes 40. Then I have to take it all apart again in the dark. Because of the 10 foot wide beam, it is too wide to trailer according to GA DOT laws (the width limit is 102 inches). Since my boat is unstable and not usable without the sailrig, I was thinking of permanently mounting the akas, putting hinges on the top and bottom of the akas, pulling the pin on the bottom hinge, folding them over, and assembly and disassembly should take no more than 10 to 15 minutes.

What do y'all think? I have seen other trimarans that do this, but never a CLC Sailrig. Just wanted to make sure there were no structural issues I might be creating.

Lots of boats have done this.
    Cross 18 for an old boat.
    W17 for a new one.
    No fundamentally wrong structural issues.
    Of course the hinges have to be strong enough, the hinge pins also, and the bolting into the ama needs enough solid wood to go thru with big enough bolts.
    You could always only have a hinge on one side. Reduces weight, takes less time to bolt up (than hinges on each side).
    Lashing sucks, IMHO.
    Welcome to wide multihulls.

I made these hinges from 1/8" flat plate SS.

Wait, what? How come I have not run across this before??? You guys have been holding out on me...

Nah, just kidding, I guess I never asked the question before so y'all had no reason to tell me about it. That settles it then. As soon as I can find some decent stainless hinges for less than a war pension I am going to bolt them on. I was looking at lots of them earlier today, mostly lowes and home depot. But I can't find any readily available (something I can drive to and buy) with removable hinge pins. I might get some stainless from onlinemetals.com and make some like Gary did above.

And thanks for the idea to only do one side upchurchmr. I probably would not have thought of that. And that lets me spend less on hinges too!

Now the question is, where exactly on my aka's should I cut and install the hinges? Is there any reason, structurally or performance wise, that the hinges should be closer to the ama or the main hull? Since my forward aka is a different shape, I may have to totally disconnect it as opposed to folding it. The weird angles may put me in a bind and not let it fold right. But further out close to the ama the curves are the same. I only need about a foot off of each side, or two feet off of one side. I will have to measure them when i get time and see how far in towards the main hull (kayak) the curves are the same. If it is more than two feet, I might just cut one side.

Ignore the glass repair spam ad. They will be gone shortly and have absolutely nothing to contribute to the thread. I like Gary's hinge. It kind of reminds me of those cast trailer tongue hinges, but in a format that the builder can fabricate themselves. I suspect that it may be drastically stronger than anything you might find at Home Depot or similar (which sound a bit sketchy to me) so take a really good look at it. I'm not really sure what spot on the aka would be best, or whether it matters an awful lot as long as the hinge is really strong. Top of my head, I'd probably stick the hinges in fairly close to the main hull, just to maximize trailering options by keeping the package fairly narrow.

I agree, Gary's hinge looks strong and simple, easy to diy.

I know nothing about folding Tris, but think about where the outriggers will sit when folded, hinge it in a way that makes it the most compact or easiest to transport/secure.... Hinged too close in I imagine they would stick up higher than ideal, hinged too far out and you aren't maximizing your potential ....... Just right and they might just touch and support each other in the middle....

Maybe...... Again I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Those hinges Gary made are slick. They look mad simple to make, too.

I have been thinking about a folding tri for a minute, and had been leaning toward sweeping cross beams, but those hinges...hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Dierking View Post
    I made these hinges from 1/8" flat plate SS.
    Hey Gary, do you have any drawings for your plate design? Obviously these will be much larger than what I need, but I am interested in how the bolts are going through the aka. It looks like you have six bolts going through the aka, one bolt that is the pivot point, and another bolt that locks it together when folded down. Just curious about the six bolts going through the aka, what is the spacing between them? I know it won't be the same for me, but I was wanting to get an idea so I can scale it down proportionally. I am thinking I can get away with maybe a plate that is 1/16" to 3/32" thick, and use 1/4-20 bolts. If I get bolts much bigger than that, I am afraid it might weaken the wood too much with the swiss cheese effect.
    Thanks!

Those are machine bolts but they are very short. I used what is called bonded fasteners. That is where you drill a hole a little larger than the bolt, prime the hole with plain resin, fill it part way with thickened resin and push the threaded shaft into the epoxy. No nuts needed and very strong. You can remove them later if necessary by holding a hot soldering iron on the head of the bolt to soften the epoxy. The hinge would have looked much better and less industrial if I had used countersunk flat head bolts but I didn't have any available at the time.

As said before, Cross 18 is generically the same, just about 50 years old.
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/pr...h630-p-k-no-nu

Sorry it wouldn't let me post the picture.

It would be irritating to have the hinge above the beam. No real reason to do that.

Well now, upchurchmr I guess that confirms it is a proven design then! However...

So I decided to go to lowes, get some galvanized metal, and make a prototype hinge. I found a mending plate, that I could cut into four 3"x4" pieces, and it is 0.104" thick according to my calipers, close enough to 1/8" for me. I cut the plates out with my scroll saw. I used my autocad to make a pattern, marked the hole centers with my springloaded center punch, and drilled one hole completely through all four plates. I put a spring pin in that hole, to hold the plates together and keep the holes in line, and drilled all the holes through all the plates at the same time. They came out pretty close, within 1/32" of on center, near as I can tell. Not precision cut mind you, but hey, Im just a guy hacking around in his garage with a harbor freight drill press.

But the problem came when I tried to put the to plates on a trial piece of ama and tighten the bolts. Since both the ama pieces were the same width, the outer hinge plates would clamp down on the inner ones, and lock the hinge down. "So what to do?" says I. I decided to space them out with some washers. The spacing worked, but the then my plates would crash against the washers, and not rotate all the way, preventing the locking holes from lining up. I didn't include washers in my autocad drawing, so now I had a tolerance issue. And I didn't like the plates sticking out from the ama, I would rather they be flush against it.

"How the heck did Gary do this?" I asked myself. I went back and look at his photo again. Aha! It is ever so slight a difference, but the outer end of the ama is slightly narrower than the the inner ama. Very sneaky Gary... very sneaky. Sure wish you had included that in your drawing.

So, Gary, am I right? If that is the case, I can get the belt sander out and take a little off the ends of the ama to make everything fit and slide nicely. Oh, and how did you cut out your plates? CNC Laser cutter? I think if I want to angle mine down like that and make them pretty I am going to have to get the side grinder out.

Here are some pics of my efforts:
    20210612_213113.jpg
    20210612_213127.jpg
    20210612_213346.jpg

Lee -- I haven't seen a picture of your boat looking directly ahead from the stern or looking back from the bow, but my impression is that the two akas are not the same height above the waterline. Is this right?

If not, and if your hinges are going to work, the pins on the fore and aft akas must line up exactly -- as if a rod had to be run through both of them. If they don't the ama/aka assembly will bind. Like a door with a crooked hinge only much worse. Is there a spot where the hinges can be mounted so they line up? If the geometry is off just a bit, one hinge can but cut to make the pin stand higher. Alternately, the hinges could be angled to line up, but then the ama would not fold over neatly -- one end would be higher than the other.

Gary's setup works well because the fore and aft akas are identical in all respects. Just a cautionary note, here. I'm really enjoying all the progress you're making.
    -Dave

I glued an 1/8" ply shim under the metal plates. That's better than taking away material.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Lee -- I haven't seen a picture of your boat looking directly ahead from the stern or looking back from the bow, but my impression is that the two akas are not the same height above the waterline. Is this right?.
    That is right Dave. The front aka curves up from the water line. I had planned to make an extension for the rear aka. That means the rear hinge will have to come loose when I transport and be reconnected, but it is still faster than lashings every time.

So, yesterday I was out on the lake screaming along at a good clip. I was making good time(good for me anyway) at a steady 3mph and some sprints at 6mph with a 5 to 8mph wind. I am getting better at finding the sweet spot between sail set and my heading to the wind.

However, I was about a mile from my boat ramp where I put in and I was very tightly close hauled heading upwind at about 4~5 mph, when all of a sudden I noticed my rudder getting really mushy. And about 2 minutes later, SNAP!!. My lower eyebolt part of my homemade rudder hinge just snapped right off. 5/16" diameter stainless steel. Snapped off like a tooth pick.

I spent the next 45 minutes trying to hold the rudder in place with the tiller, and made some headway. I still had the top eye bolts in place, but holding the rudder upright was a huge chore and my hands were screaming. Luckily I had my gloves with me. I finally gave up when the wind dropped and my headway fell to less than 1mph. I can paddle a steady 2mph, so I dropped the sail, jumped into the water, disconnected the rudder completely cause it was creating more drag than it was steerage, and paddled the last half mile into the boat ramp.

I am going to be ordering the "heavy duty" gudgeons from duckworks. This is the second time the "eye-bolt hinge/gudgeon" rudder has failed me. Granted, the first time was when winds were gale force and it only bent the eye-bolts, but still, I was going half the speed this time that bent the eyebolts last time. I had no idea that much force is being exerted on the rudder. I think I am getting better and squeezing every ounce of performance out of my set up, and that is applying more pressure to the components that experience the forces.

So, new question, the gudgeons have one long pintle and one short pintle. Why is that? I am sure there is some reason, but I am being lazy and haven't researched it yet.

The hinges will be on hold until I get my rudder fixed. I will post some pics later of the broken eyebolt. I cant believe it just snapped clean off like that.

It's much easier to drop a rudder in place when you only have to line up one pintle at a time. Especially when the boat is in the water and bouncing around. In the past I've bought a pair that were identical and cut one short for this reason.
    -Dave

After looking at all the gudgeons on Duckworks, I decided just to go ahead and get the kayak gudgeons. I got two pairs, and may just use one Long Rod to go between both. I figured the kayak gudgeons would give me more options to fit to the stern of my kayak. Also, my Rudder housing is 2 inches wide. Couldn't find any good mating gudgeons to go around a 2 inch thick housing / rudder and also mate with the pointed stern of my kayak. The only thing I am worried about is the quarter inch diameter pins. I hope they will be strong enough.

Here are pics of the broken stainless eyebolt. After taking it apart last night, I realize it also bent the upper eye bolt.
    20210613_195255.jpg
    20210613_195242.jpg
    Last edited by Lee.007; 06-15-2021 at 07:41 AM.