Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12312 ... LastLast

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post

Yup, two.
    I know they aren't considered the finest - but my 10+ year old Dewalt kit is still doing just fine. I've had to buy some batteries, but the impact driver has driven 10's of thousands of screws & the sawzall has done in at least 100 blades - it gets used for cutting saplings & branches a lot. Far easier than lugging the chainsaw for anything up to maybe 3" diameter.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Newish toy. Yes, this is an utterly boring post. That is ENTIRELY the point - no hassle at all.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I know they aren't considered the finest - but my 10+ year old Dewalt kit is still doing just fine. I've had to buy some batteries, but the impact driver has driven 10's of thousands of screws & the sawzall has done in at least 100 blades - it gets used for cutting saplings & branches a lot. Far easier than lugging the chainsaw for anything up to maybe 3" diameter.
    That set is replacing an old non-XRP Dewalt set that just two years ago refastened this entire roof. I won't even guess at the number of screws. All on Ni-Cd batteries.

Screenshot_2020-06-25 Google Maps(1).jpg
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 06-25-2020 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post

It may not be your newest toy, but I'd like to see pictures of the dory hanging from the rafters. Great paint scheme, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrone View Post
    For making this...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    A valiant and worthy endeavor. I raise a glass in your general direction!!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by oznabrag View Post
    I just got back from San Marcos, where I purchased a Powermatic 60 from the guy I sold it to two years ago.

Does that count?

It looks like this:

Kinda like remarrying your ex, eh? I'd say that counts bigly!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    I raise a glass in your general direction!!!
    Thus proving, once and for all, that you are not Paul in disguise.

What are you doing about it?

Nice. Some of the best of the DeWalt line.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Newish toy. Yes, this is an utterly boring post. That is ENTIRELY the point - no hassle at all.

Yawn... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Yawn... <G>
    I bet he gets pulled over less often than Pless...

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I got this for me.

Attachment 62889

And I'm seriously considering a roll bar for one of the Miatas.
    Now that name brings back some memories.

My first non-Schwinn bike was a Motobecane. Ran it all over Eugene, Oregon. Stolen while I was playing a pickup soccer game <sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I received and assembled an ebike this past Monday. So far I've only had it out for a few short rides on my property. Was going to go out today for a first lengthy ride and plugged it in to top off the charge. (It came with a charged battery.) Then I read the instructions. For the first three charges you are supposed to leave it on the charger for as close to 12 hours as possible to balance the battery. Ride will be tomorrow.

Like this but with a rear rack.

And one of these. Not a toy though. Satellite communicator.

e-assist bikes for those with drinking problems? Just LOOK at the size of that water bottle. Gin? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Our dear creature, sweet and mannerly 99% of the time, goes ballistic when a delivery guy comes to the house or someone is having a run on the nearby road.

He also gets snarly with flyfishers along the river. I don't think he'd bite anyone, but he has a hell of a bark and looks pretty scary with the hair standing up on his back.

So, we just got a Bark Begone ultrasonic dog trainer.

It makes a sound, inaudible to humans, that gets his attention. He stops barking or whatever. We call him and give him a treat or praise. Doesn't hurt the dog, like a shock collar, yet seems very effective. I tried it when he was starting after a rabbit, and he stopped and came to me. Haven't tried with a flyfisher yet, but I expect he'll do the same. Certainly beats keeping him on a leash.

https://store.barkbegone.com/collect...ne-dog-trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    Our dear creature, sweet and mannerly 99% of the time, goes ballistic when a delivery guy comes to the house or someone is having a run on the nearby road.

He also gets snarly with flyfishers along the river. I don't think he'd bite anyone, but he has a hell of a bark and looks pretty scary with the hair standing up on his back.

So, we just got a Bark Begone ultrasonic dog trainer.

It makes a sound, inaudible to humans, that gets his attention. He stops barking or whatever. We call him and give him a treat or praise. Doesn't hurt the dog, like a shock collar, yet seems very effective. I tried it when he was starting after a rabbit, and he stopped and came to me. Haven't tried with a flyfisher yet, but I expect he'll do the same. Certainly beats keeping him on a leash.

https://store.barkbegone.com/collect...ne-dog-trainer
    Good luck with that. I'd be interested in a review after you've had a chance to evaluate.

ALSO -- I just got word that I'm about to get a very exciting new toy. Will pick it up tomorrow. It's a fancy ($600+) new starter for our '09 Honda Fit. I was thinking maybe this was a sign that the car was gonna start being too expensive to maintain, but our (very trustworthy) mechanic says no. Which is good. I don't want to buy another car when we're trying to pool the pennies for the whole Family Compound adventure...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I got a little lightweight 1-2 person (only 2 if they are very, very good friends) tent, just in time for the winter rains to set in. I've put it up once, just to check. The intention is to do a few short tramping trips now that we're empty nesters, and perhaps the odd solo overnight bikepacking trip too.

I had been intending to press my old goretex tent purchased in 1989 back into service, but the taped seems had all let go when I put that up in the back garden. The new one is a fly and inner type but the same weight as the single-skinned goretex tent, and it all pitches as one in less than 5 minutes.

Also, waiting for the delivery of a new pair of climbing boots - 1/2 a size bigger and slightly less aggressively tension-randed than my last pair, but I'm going to have to squeeze in to the old pair at least one more time this evening.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

I haven't bought much lately, though I did invest (these suckers are getting expensive) in a new custom set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats bass strings for my mint 1969 Hagstrom Eight-String bass guitar. Vintage sound for a vintage bass, played by a vintage guy.

hag1.jpg

sound sample with a bit of a nautical theme thrown in at the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tegzp5pe6w...tring.mp3?dl=0

New motor for the boat......well almost new as its done around 100 hours. Going into the boat this winter to replace the existing tired perkins 4108. Putting in a new prop shaft and dripless seal as well.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    It better be fancy for 600 buckazoids! Oughta start your car, brew you a cuppa, and fetch donuts!!!
    And conjure up hot & cold running call girls! Jeebus...
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

And conjure up hot & cold running call girls! Jeebus...
    That's Mercedes level pricing! I had to get a new starter for the 140K mile 14 YO Audi & it was $210 installed for a new Bosch (original equipment) starter.

i got a new post hole digger.

need to replace a broken handle on the old one, will be interesting to see if i ever get to it. or if, 30 years from now, one of my heirs throws a post hole digger with only one handle in the dumpster, along with the rest of my collection of tools needing handles...

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    i got a new post hole digger.

need to replace a broken handle on the old one, will be interesting to see if i ever get to it. or if, 30 years from now, one of my heirs throws a post hole digger with only one handle in the dumpster, along with the rest of my collection of tools needing handles...
    Handles? Oh - you mean where it attached to the 3 point hitch?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    I haven't bought much lately, though I did invest (these suckers are getting expensive) in a new custom set of Thomastic Infeld Jazz Flats bass strings for my mint 1969 Hagstrom Eight-String bass guitar. Vintage sound for a vintage bass, played by a vintage guy.

hag1.jpg

sound sample with a bit of a nautical theme thrown in at the end.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tegzp5pe6w...tring.mp3?dl=0
    That sounds so good!

not the augur, garret, a manual post hole digger.

which i used for several hours today because the first 12" of soil at the top near the house and barn is super compacted and full of rocks. 6 hours to set 6 posts. gah.

Jeez Lee get a decent bar and post hole shovel. JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    not the augur, garret, a manual post hole digger.

which i used for several hours today because the first 12" of soil at the top near the house and barn is super compacted and full of rocks. 6 hours to set 6 posts. gah.
    I knew that, but have spent way too many hours running one of those torture devices. Lifting a heavy tool with soil with your arms outstretched is not my idea of fun.

I knew that, but have spent way too many hours running one of those torture devices. Lifting a heavy tool with soil with your arms outstretched is not my idea of fun.
    But it helped make you the manly man you are today, eh? No... no fun.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Makita version of the Dewalt kit posted already , what a revelation after persevering with the old 12v for so long. That impact driver is amazing. The skillsaw with the blade on the left is a great machine too. Skinny little kerf, tracks beautifully, you can see the line if you're right handed, best tool in years.
    And out of the stihl stuff we bought for the new property (hey, that's the real new toy) the most used is the multi purpose powerhead for line trimmer/ hedge trimmer/ pole chainsaw. The pole chainsaw is the most used and most valuable component.
    20200626_114646.jpg
    Funny thing about it is it's a 2 stroke that sounds like a 4 stroke, when I fire it up by the pond the frogs all start up too.
    Last edited by John B; 06-25-2020 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Jeez Lee get a decent bar and post hole shovel. JayInOz
    its too bad we dont live on the same continent, you could come over and show me how to dig holes. i would just watch and learn. and sip my lemonade.

I've looked at that style of post-hole tool and left them right there in the store. I have one of these, but have to recover it from a neighbour so I can replace the back fence now I've mostly stripped the ivy off it's rotten remains.

'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

^ photo isn't straight.
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Attachment 62876
    The new ride, although mine is an older model with lower steering and a different colour.

Attachment 62877
    A little battery-powered amp for outdoor jams
    Nice ride!

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    ^ photo isn't straight.
    Heh.
    its new, give him a chance to learn how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    Makita version of the Dewalt kit posted already , what a revelation after persevering with the old 12v for so long. That impact driver is amazing. The skillsaw with the blade on the left is a great machine too. Skinny little kerf, tracks beautifully, you can see the line if you're right handed, best tool in years.
    And out of the stihl stuff we bought for the new property (hey, that's the real new toy) the most used is the multi purpose powerhead for line trimmer/ hedge trimmer/ pole chainsaw. The pole chainsaw is the most used and most valuable component.
    20200626_114646.jpg
    Funny thing about it is it's a 2 stroke that sounds like a 4 stroke, when I fire it up by the pond the frogs all start up too.
    Is that an Elektra Beckum mitre saw? I bought one of those way back before Makita & the like were readily available. Mine has quite a few more miles on it than yours by the look of it. Still runs perfectly (and quietly!).
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.