Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 6151617 ... LastLast
Results 526 to 560 of 614

Thread: New Toys, watchu gots??

  1. #526
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    GAS strikes again!

    A Harley Benton take on the 335. It was a customer return and that knocked close to a third off of the price. . . how could I not buy it?
    All maple, mahogany centre block, set neck, pau ferro board, LAF alnico 5 pickups, coil splits. Arrives on Thursday.



    It was either going to be this or a new Epiphone LP, the R9 in aged dark burst, but to be honest I think all I've done is delay the inevitable.

  2. #527
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    GAS strikes again!

    A Harley Benton take on the 335. It was a customer return and that knocked close to a third off of the price. . . how could I not buy it?
    All maple, mahogany centre block, set neck, pau ferro board, LAF alnico 5 pickups, coil splits. Arrives on Thursday.



    It was either going to be this or a new Epiphone LP, the R9 in aged dark burst, but to be honest I think all I've done is delay the inevitable.
    I think I need to send you my address.

  3. #528
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I think I need to send you my address.
    This is number 10, so yeah, I just might need a place to stay if this continues. . . I'm sorta running out of room.

    This one was serendipity I think. Thomann had just released these in some new colors and I thought that the black with gold hardware was a nicer look than the tobacco burst I was considering. Add to that the happenstance of a nice deep discount on the price, and voilà! NGD for me!
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 04-02-2021 at 01:43 PM.

  4. #529
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    This is number 10, so yeah, I just might need a place to stay if this continues. . . I'm sorta running out of room.

    This one was serendipity I think. Thomann had just released these in some new colors and I thought that the black with gold hardware was a nicer look than the tobacco burst I was considering. Add to that the happenstance of a nice deep discount on the price, and voila! NGD for me!
    Quad, who owns four basses, burst out the door yesterday to announce his friend was selling a Rick in the color he wanted. Which, anyone who knows, knows you get what you get, or wait.

    Now, I have three ukes, but they’re different sizes, so different sounds. Only one guitar. Now.

    Plus, that is one NICE looking fiddle. I’m not necessarily a hollow, or semi guy, but... Oh, I DID part with the Satan guitar; I traded it away to a metal head we know who literally cried when he first played it. He had a nicely made, light, Les Paul copy with two HOT SD pickups, so I’m good.

    I always use my standard “all the way up” pedal I’ve used since I started.

    Quad suggested we practice and record a few covers. Up for consideration is War Pigs.

  5. #530
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Quad, who owns four basses, burst out the door yesterday to announce his friend was selling a Rick in the color he wanted. Which, anyone who knows, knows you get what you get, or wait.

    Now, I have three ukes, but they’re different sizes, so different sounds. Only one guitar. Now.

    Plus, that is one NICE looking fiddle. I’m not necessarily a hollow, or semi guy, but... Oh, I DID part with the Satan guitar; I traded it away to a metal head we know who literally cried when he first played it. He had a nicely made, light, Les Paul copy with two HOT SD pickups, so I’m good.

    I always use my standard “all the way up” pedal I’ve used since I started.

    Quad suggested we practice and record a few covers. Up for consideration is War Pigs.
    The right color makes all the difference when it comes to getting a good tone. I fully support Quad in his search for that tone.

    Ain't she a sexy beast? The first order of business will be getting Johnny B Goode under my fingers. I've been saving that one.

    A light Les Paul, the Holy Grail of guitars! And you committed a nice in acquiring it too, congrats!

    Pedals. Shhhh. . . we don't talk about the pedals. . .

    War Pigs!

  6. #531
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    The right color makes all the difference when it comes to getting a good tone. I fully support Quad in his search for that tone.

    Ain't she a sexy beast? The first order of business will be getting Johnny B Goode under my fingers. I've been saving that one.

    A light Les Paul, the Holy Grail of guitars! And you committed a nice in acquiring it too, congrats!

    Pedals. Shhhh. . . we don't talk about the pedals. . .

    War Pigs!
    Well... light for a Les Paul. I still use a gantry to support it when I stand to play.

    I have included a picture of every pedal I’ve ever owned.

    I talked him down from The Trooper.

  7. #532
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    And as I lay there gazing at the sky
    My body's numb and my throat is dry
    And as I lay forgotten and alone
    Without a tear, I draw my parting groan

    Epic!

  8. #533
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    A (late) birthday present - our sculptor friend John Brickels has branched out from whacko cityscapes, barns & robots into boats. This is glazed clay. My favorite part is the stand held up with cinder blocks. Haven't found an appropriate base yet...

    JohnsBoatSmall.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  9. #534
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    3,300

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A (late) birthday present - our sculptor friend John Brickels has branched out from whacko cityscapes, barns & robots into boats. This is glazed clay. My favorite part is the stand held up with cinder blocks. Haven't found an appropriate base yet...

    JohnsBoatSmall.jpg
    I like it Garrett , but can't tell the scale - would a rough-sawn chunk of 2 x 12 work as a base ?



    Rick

  10. #535
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    I like it Garrett , but can't tell the scale - would a rough-sawn chunk of 2 x 12 work as a base ?

    Rick
    Yep - 2x12x15". A certain other person in the house voted down the piece of wood. We'll see- choose one's... and all.

    Here's a shot with one of his barns, which was a present a couple of years ago.

    boat&barnsmall.jpg
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  11. #536
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    72,977

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    What marvelous sculpture!

    Base - maybe a piece of stone with water-like colors/patterns? Local c'top place would probably whomp up one from some falloff pretty cheap.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  12. #537
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    72,977

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Haven't got it yet, but am about to pull the trigger on a reciprocating power carving tool with flex shaft to be driven by my existing larger Dremel tool. Inspired by a recent Fine Woodworking article, and the fact I've got several 'housewarming' gifts on the horizon --



    https://treelineusa.com/reciprocatin...ce-for-dremel/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  13. #538
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Portland, Maine
    Posts
    21,081

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    That boat is fantastic!

  14. #539
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Stone might work.

    Pardon me if a blow a friend's horn a bit. His site is not as frequently updated as his facebook page, but it's https://www.brickels.com/
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  15. #540
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,703

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by devout View Post
    I bought it 2nd hand with 3500 km on the clock, and there are different iterations of the model. Hard to say what is a reasonable price beyond SA, though. This model feels a little fragile though, I wouldn't expect heavy use or industrial capability.
    Local mechanic says Kawasaki Mule of whatever appropriate model is durable. Used ones go fast. I’m going to wait until the Arctic Cat falls completely apart.

  16. #541
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    43416253-0D6F-42C4-AFE4-B66B3A1882AC.jpg
    I wouldn’t say it’s a toy, necessarily...

  17. #542
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Wongawallan Oz
    Posts
    16,343

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A (late) birthday present - our sculptor friend John Brickels has branched out from whacko cityscapes, barns & robots into boats. This is glazed clay. My favorite part is the stand held up with cinder blocks. Haven't found an appropriate base yet...

    JohnsBoatSmall.jpg
    I love this!!! Not sure why you think you need a base for it, it’d sit well anywhere just like that - but if you have you have a base it probably needs something just as quirky and that represents a weather-beaten and weed strewn ship yard.
    Larks

    “It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

    LPBC Beneficiary

    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

  18. #543
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,303

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    I love this!!! Not sure why you think you need a base for it, it’d sit well anywhere just like that - but if you have you have a base it probably needs something just as quirky and that represents a weather-beaten and weed strewn ship yard.
    The "base" isn't for aesthetics, but to protect the table. The bottoms of the boat & stands are rough - so they will scratch the tabletop.

    I 'spose I could sand them a bit & glue on some felt.

    His attention to detail is amazing. Here's the cobbled boat stand up close (4" high or so in real life). Crummy photo...

    boatstand.jpg

    BTW, I asked John where the extra mast was supposed to go & he said "Somewhere on the ground"
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  19. #544
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    GAS strikes again!

    A Harley Benton take on the 335. It was a customer return and that knocked close to a third off of the price. . . how could I not buy it?
    All maple, mahogany centre block, set neck, pau ferro board, LAF alnico 5 pickups, coil splits. Arrives on Thursday.



    It was either going to be this or a new Epiphone LP, the R9 in aged dark burst, but to be honest I think all I've done is delay the inevitable.
    Hello, my name is Richard.
    I have a guitar addiction



    . . .and I'm OK with that. I thought I would have lasted longer than two weeks but when only one store in the whole country has stock on an item, you don't get a lot of time to think about it.

    The 335 is amazing! Sublime even. Its been at arms length for the last 10 days and has claimed the rank of couch guitar. The quality of guitar you can buy right now for the dollar is just ridiculous. Buy now though if you have a mind to, the days of good guitars for cheap are ending. Soon.

    The R9, not cheap. Not Gibson money, but not cheap.
    Last edited by Old Dryfoot; 04-19-2021 at 06:14 PM. Reason: pic swap

  20. #545
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    A (late) birthday present - our sculptor friend John Brickels has branched out from whacko cityscapes, barns & robots into boats. This is glazed clay. My favorite part is the stand held up with cinder blocks. Haven't found an appropriate base yet...

    JohnsBoatSmall.jpg
    I love it!

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    43416253-0D6F-42C4-AFE4-B66B3A1882AC.jpg
    I wouldn’t say it’s a toy, necessarily...
    Details?
    I'm not fixie literate.

  21. #546
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    I have come into what is, essentially, a fixed gear, fixed wheel, 29er BMX bike. It does fantastic wheelies, and I can do bar spins. Theoretically.

    Ahem.

  22. #547
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Many congratulatory type comments! May your future be full of theoretical event-free wheelies and bar spins.

  23. #548
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    3,313

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Screen Shot 2021-04-19 at 8.15.30 AM.jpg

    CNC router. Should be in my hands tomorrow.
    Schooner sailors love to get blown offshore!

  24. #549
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    1F051D6C-F9D4-4C6A-9032-D1E877B6854D.jpg
    Some old friends ride again. No, no clips, nor straps. Yes, I can still skid.

    7B0CED9E-8A9A-4058-9A0A-A7F70B9458E8.jpg
    How DO these kids get on with those super wide bars? Kids these days...

    I will post some more photos of the entire thing soon. Maybe. Ahem.

    For now, it’s a great joy to ride around with my sons pretending I’m a kid. It’s like riding a bike, actually.

  25. #550
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,942

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    What is the advantage of the way the chain is build?

  26. #551
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    The “half links” allow for finer adjustments to be made in chain length, because the total length removed is much less than a standard “full link” chain, which must needs two links removed/replaced, really.

    The cool kids run full length half link changing because it looks cool, and they are a bit more resistant to damage from grinds and such.

    I have it because it was there. With the small gears and short axle slots, I’ll like as not have to keep a few half links in whatever chain I eventually use or don’t.

    I may not even keep the danged thing. We shall see. For now, I’m staying hush.

  27. #552
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Victoria BC
    Posts
    17,928

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    First time I've ever seen welded crank arms. That's gotta be a weight-saving thing. I think the bars on my bike are wider, brb. . .
    Mine are 30-3/8" wide

  28. #553
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    That is a 22mm, 48 spline hardened chromo spindle and 4130 chromo welded, tubular crank arms. Built to huck.

    ETA My bars are exactly 22” wide.

  29. #554
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    45,432

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    I have come into what is, essentially, a fixed gear, fixed wheel, 29er BMX bike. It does fantastic wheelies, and I can do bar spins. Theoretically.

    Ahem.
    I used to bar hop, but clearly I need to up my game.

    Looks awesome, Rob - even to a guy who knows nothing about what he's looking at.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  30. #555
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    central cal
    Posts
    21,441

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Apparently, the world had changed, but stayed the same? I felt a bit odd today riding in the same places I did 30 years ago, but with my kids.

    No, I did NOT try That Gap. It looks big!

    Mostly, it’s a great excuse to ride bikes with my kids.

  31. #556
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    45,432

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Awesomeness . Circles.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  32. #557
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    3,286

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Mostly, it’s a great excuse to ride bikes with my kids.
    Neither my partner or my son particularly enjoy cycling in any form, but there was a couple of occasions I went to the forest with my son, him on my old mountain bike, me on my new one with its too-wide bars. I just loved looking up the trail at my lad riding my bike in the forest and having fun. Of course it helped that I could smoke him on the up hills. Now are only real shared activity is climbing at the bouldering gym, and he's been kicking my butt at that for well over a year now.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

  33. #558
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    North Shore, Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    3,286

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    Not new, not new to me, but new to me again. My first proper camera, gifted to me by my dad when he upgraded, and now reunited with me after 30 years of sitting in a wardrobe at my parents house. It needs a clean of the prism and a replacement for the mercury battery for the through-the-lens meter, but mechanically it's just fine.

    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

  34. #559
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    3,300

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    And, after 30+ years, you still have the 'User's Manual' !! Nice camera



    Rick

  35. #560
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    7,015

    Default Re: New Toys, watchu gots??

    We just got this
    IMG_1893.jpg

    We're planning a 2 week fly-in paddling trip to Wabakimi Provincial Park in August.
    Wickedly heavy and serious overkill for the trip, but we're paddling not hiking, and as SWMBO says,
    "We're too old to be cold,wet and miserable for two weeks."
    Since we've done this,no doubt it will be 30C and dry the whole time.
    Or the park will be closed due to covid and fires.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •