Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 45

Thread: An Ilur in NZ

Default Re: An Ilur in NZ

Looking good Wayne.

The deck is still removeable and was planed and sanded smooth off the boat. There's also carlins underneath and the mast position locations to be cut into it, the latter likely done once I have a mast. The stern mast location will be reinforced with a little sapele edging for durability.

I've realised how hard it is to get into the bow with it on, especially with no floor planks installed as yet. The deck won't be installed until the bow section is epoxy coated and likely painted as I don't fancy getting in there repeatedly. When installed it'll be screwed (already done for the temporary position) and glued.

Here's the result:

IMG-2639.jpg

And with a little water to show the final colour...

IMG-2638.jpg

Overall I'm fairly happy with this as it's the largest horizontal piece lamination I've done - a little like a small table. There's a couple of tiny sap pockets that will be chiseled out and filled but the worst are hidden underneath.

The planks were, and remain slightly warped, but it's only a centimetre or so across the broadest face and screwing it under the gunwale evens it out nicely. It's nice when things come out better than expected.
    The tiller is also from the same kauri timber and there's enough left over for the knees at the stern, which should tie it together visually.

Foredeck looks lovely - well done :-) Oh, just remembered - recommend that you install the towing eye before you fix that deck down - it's very useful to be able to lean over the gunwale and see the inside face of the stem when you're installing the towing eye. Also put a small piece of ply (or similar) on the inside face of the stem to spread the load from the towing eye a little if you can...........................

Regards Neil

Good work Wayne, the sapele is a nice detail.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Hi Wayne,
    How much paint did you use when you painted the bottom? How many coats?
    Munroe

The paint system I used recommended 2x primer coats, 1x undercoat and 2x topcoats.

The topcoats combined was about one litre, maybe a little more. The prep coats used probably about 30% more as they were thicker.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneT View Post
    The paint system I used recommended 2x primer coats, 1x undercoat and 2x topcoats.

The topcoats combined was about one litre, maybe a little more. The prep coats used probably about 30% more as they were thicker.
    Thanks Wayne. Iím just trying to get an idea of how much paint I am going to need.
    Munroe

Hi Wayne, Iím working on my inner layer of gunwale. Iím wondering if you screwed the inner layer down into the top of the bulkheads? I donít see any screw heads or plugs in your pics. Iím wondering if itís really necessary to screw the gunwale down to the bulkheads. It will be epoxied to the top of the bulkheads and glued and screwed to the rubrail.

Quote Originally Posted by davidladd View Post
    Hi Wayne, I’m working on my inner layer of gunwale. I’m wondering if you screwed the inner layer down into the top of the bulkheads? I don’t see any screw heads or plugs in your pics. I’m wondering if it’s really necessary to screw the gunwale down to the bulkheads. It will be epoxied to the top of the bulkheads and glued and screwed to the rubrail.
    I hadn't screwed it down to a bulkhead David, mainly because I'd just forgot to earlier and had another look at it in recent days. I might still do it on the central bulkhead that will be covered by the rowlock riser. I think the number of screws in the rest of it will be adequate. Plus the deck on the sloop comes back a ways and there will be fixings between that and the gunwales.

The only other place I thought might get some forces on the gunwale would be near the stern where the traveller rope passes through the gunwales (now drilled). However, there's no bulkheads anywhere near that. I suspect it'll be fine
    Last edited by WayneT; 05-06-2021 at 04:27 PM.

Things done of late include the quarter knees. These are kauri left over from the deck planks. I don;t have enough sapele left for them and also wanted a little contrast in timber tones at the stern. Francois' pattern needed a about 8-10mm added to the rearward end to account for the bevel to fit into the transom.

IMG-2666.jpg
    Tc

The interior is now epoxy coated with three coats of West System. Breaking it into small bits to knock out in an hour each day before work made it less of a chore.
    IMG-2675.jpg
    That'll cure for a bit before sanding and installing the deck (temporary fit in the pic). I'll need to paint the bow interior before this as getting in is pretty difficult with it in place. I'll see how that goes with a roller and brush but might consider getting a spray gun if it turns out to be too sadistic for the combined 5 coats of primer, undercoat and gloss.

And in other news... I've laminated the last of my long pieces of ash into the shaft of a sculling oar as per the plans. This is made from 3x 3/4" pieces. We'll see if it stays straight but the rest of the blank should follow this weekend before shaping begins. The kit strongback was kept for this kind of thing.

IMG-2672.jpg

IMG-2676.jpg

I might move on to the pair of oars in the absence of timber for floors and thwarts etc but we'll see.
    I've settled on using rowlocks rather than the thole pin arrangement suggested in the plans and after consulting the oracle of other builders found some Culler-based oar plans that look like they might guide me to a balanced and hopefully robust pair of oars.

Great progress Wayne!

The hull interior has been sanded and painting begun. Primer to just south of the centreboard case so far....

IMG-2729.jpg

The forward third of the interior has been painted. The lighting is a little off here but it's the same as the exterior, with the gloss toned down a little. The deck is temprary still but will be fixed soon. Bronze pin belaying rods also added. I'll use a leathered chain between two SS eyebolts just inboard of the pins as the mast partner with a wedge for a tight fit.

IMG-2743.jpg

On to the more romantic aspects of the build, which is surely why someone builds a wooden boat rather than spending considerably less money and time getting on the water in something made of fibreglass or plastic....

Two mast steps in the lug sloop version of ilur means two opportunities for the traditional coin beneath the mast in a little chiseled recess:

IMG-2739.jpg

One's a French one franc coin displaying the year of my birth that I stumbled across in a coin dealer's stall and is a nod to the boat's French design origins.
    The other is a NZ 50c piece depicting Cooks Endeavour which is nicely nautical.
    Alas I won't be able to get one with this year's date on it as they won't be minting any this time round (I've checked with the Reserve Bank) . I'll switch it out for a 2020 coin if I come across one.

IMG-2741.jpg

I crewed on the Endeavour replica for a brief spell last year and enjoyed it immensely. That's me on the far right struggling to haul in the main topsail as we turn into the wind.

IMG-1603.jpg
    Last edited by WayneT; 06-09-2021 at 12:00 AM.

I've also cut and recently install the oarlock risers. As per other builds they will use locks rather than thole pins so are a little shorter than the plans suggest.

IMG-2736.jpg

IMG-2737.jpg

As another nod to history these were made from a piece of timber from the ancestral woodpile. This is part of a stash of NZ native timber collected from my grandfather's shed. He spent his working life as a bushman (forester) from roughly 1920s-1970s and was a keen wood turner and carver in retirement, using many timbers that can't be commercially milled now.

I had this piece of rimu, which had a sketch from some unstarted project of his on it which would have been done at least 40 years ago as he's been dead for nearly that long.

IMG-2733.jpg

Rimu is not the hardest timber ever but it's got a lovely rich glow under epoxy and varnish and I'm anticipating bronze sockets descending in the sapele gunwales should do the trick. If the pads suffer from excessive wear I can always cut them off in years to come and replace them with something else from the pile.

Here's some other inherited timbers on my canoe decks. the darker centre stripe is rewarewa, next miro (i think) and rimu the darker rusty coloured pieces. It should make a nice colour tone against the sapele.

IMG-1054.jpg

And because I love my canoe, here she is on a small adventure proving she can venture into the wild.

IMG-1727.jpg

Next steps are fixing the deck and beginning varnishing ahead of the rest of the paintwork.

Moving right along there Wayne. Those Rimu oarlock risers will be a nice touch and nothing like a coat of paint to highlight the varnished details.
    Lookin' good.
    BTW I witnessed the Endeavor being built in Freemantle when I lived there (1986-90). It was an impressive set up with the shipwrights, riggers and blacksmiths all showcasing their traditional skills.
    Cheers,
    Mike.

Very Nice!

You have made a lot of progress Wayne and it all looks really good. I’m still struggling with sanding the epoxy coats.