Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boy's first row

Default Re: My boy's first row

Such a cute little guy!!! Will become a captain soon =D

Great weather on Saturday for another exploration of our local waterfront.

There are worse places for an afternoon cup of coffee and a chat while the kid eats his lunch and mine. Soon, he'll be drinking my coffee, too.

The plan for Spring Break was to boat camp on Tomales bay, but with 30 kt gusts in the forecast, there was no way we were taking our boys on a trip that required crossings in open boats. We found a great alternative camping on the mouth of the Russian River at Jenner, CA. The campground is a real treat because you can't park your car at the sites. Your shortest walk from the parking lot would be about 50 yards; as you go further, the sites get closer to the river, with the best being something like 600 yards in. This walk, and the absence of plumbed drinking water, is enough to keep the loud, RV driving masses away and leave us all alone with this:

Our Whitehall proved valuable yet again. It saved us from lugging our incredible volume of camping gear overland - we just packed tents, stoves, water, and dozens of books into the boat at the launch. The older boy and I then rowed the mile or so to the campsite, where we met his mother and the baby. Everyone took every opportunity to say "we'll meet you at the rendezvous point".

We got out for a few family rows, but the baby's not really old enough to sit still yet and so can't much enjoy it. He took a tumble and smashed his face into a frame just as a flight of ducks came whistling right overhead, much lower than they've ever buzzed me before, and one duck crashed tumbling shoulder-first into the river not two boat lengths from us. In the ensuing crying quacking chaos I had just enough time to look up and see some huge raptor silhouetted by the glare, and maybe a few loose falling feathers. It must not have been a direct hit because the fallen duck recovered quickly. My wife was less enamored of the wildlife encounter and more concerned with the screaming baby. I proceeded under orders to a nearby gravel bank, and we all explored land for a bit before heading back to the tent.

The older boy and I got out for some magical evening rows.
    Last edited by pez_leon; 04-12-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Lucky kids, they are going to remember these trips you take them on.

This was maybe a bit upstream a few years ago: