Thread: Stur-Dee 16-- f/b but good enough

Default Stur-Dee 16-- f/b but good enough

Helped my brother inspect a used Stur-Dee 16 the other day. He has wanted one of these boats for a while... OK, let's be honest- I've wanted him to get one of these boats for a while but what-do-I-know and he had a pretty hard lean going on for a deep-V center console of some sort. I'm like DUDE, you don't own a truck, you don't want to be lifting off a 90hp motor and dragging it into the basement every winter, you don't want to pay for storage fees... etc etc etc. Then he started looking at small Carolina Skiffs that were crammed full of compartments and including a CC and... Oh god.

Keep it small, keep it simple, keep it lower HP, use it more. That's my credo.

He lives on the CT River near the mouth and often fishes at night down at Long Island Sound.

The Stur-Dee is a f/b interpretation of a 16' Semi-Dory/Amesbury Skiff (it's actually called by S-D the "Amesbury Dory"). Goes great. It's so clean inside, stable, really carves nice on the chine. A little bit of oil canning in chop, but just go slower. Heeling it over helps to smooth out the ride.

I'm so happy he got it. It's economical, easy to trailer, and safe. It's the perfect boat for him and the region he is going to be doing 90% of his boating. It's not about your wet cubicle inspired boredom dreams of triumph, it's about your gritty reality and what's in front of you.

NOW I WANT/NEED ONE

These boats and others, like the Bristol Skiff 17 are somewhat popular here in New England if you know where to look, especially North Shore MA down to the CT coast, including Long Island. What about in other parts of the country? Any of you types see these down south? Out west?

IMG_20200507_115058.jpg
    Last edited by callsign222; 05-08-2020 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Stur-Dee 16-- f/b but good enough

When the world is upside down, getting on the water was the best thing!

An eminently useful and practical boat.

Fine boats. Like all flat bottom boats, they pound like hell in a chop.
    Had one in the water about 10 months a year for 20 years.
    The top of the transom is an area you should pay attention to.
    It is entirely likely that the plywood transom reinforcement will delaminate from the glass skin. The wood is bonded with mat and polyester. The top edge is simply cut to shape and sealed. This causes the inevitabl. Best to glass over the top of the transom with an epoxy laminate before it can go wrong.
    Some years ago, I replaced the gunwales, Brest book, and quarter knees. The Gavin’s provided the parts. As usual, I glued the pieces together instead screwing it together.
    SHC

Call sign I wholly agree about small boats and engine size. My rule is that two people should be able to Cary without strain. That one looks great

Great little traditional boat for north east waters, basically a splash of the original Amesbury skiff, know a guy who inshore fishes out of one, he loves it.

We had a 14' Sturdee for years but outgrew it, I found a great deal on the 17'Bristol Skiff and have had it for 14 years now. We bought used and it came with a 30hp 4 stroke. It is fine for two but under powered for more than that, a 40 would be great. The Bristol Skiff is not dead flat like the Sturdee but has a rounded bottom and rides a lot better. It will still pound a little if it is real sloppy but if you trim the motor to raise the bow a little it goes away.
    The biggist difference is the Sturdee is a single layer of glass bottom, the Bristol has an inner and outer hull with a core between the hulls. It is much stiffer and just feels more solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunky Dory View Post
    We had a 14' Sturdee for years but outgrew it, I found a great deal on the 17'Bristol Skiff and have had it for 14 years now. We bought used and it came with a 30hp 4 stroke. It is fine for two but under powered for more than that, a 40 would be great. The Bristol Skiff is not dead flat like the Sturdee but has a rounded bottom and rides a lot better. It will still pound a little if it is real sloppy but if you trim the motor to raise the bow a little it goes away.
    The biggist difference is the Sturdee is a single layer of glass bottom, the Bristol has an inner and outer hull with a core between the hulls. It is much stiffer and just feels more solid.
    We had a neighbor that had a Bristol 17... he loved that boat more than any other boat he had ever owned. They seem great. The budget got in the way. I see them pop up here and there and there is salivating. Nice score!

Quote Originally Posted by SHClark View Post
    Fine boats. Like all flat bottom boats, they pound like hell in a chop.
    Had one in the water about 10 months a year for 20 years.
    The top of the transom is an area you should pay attention to.
    It is entirely likely that the plywood transom reinforcement will delaminate from the glass skin. The wood is bonded with mat and polyester. The top edge is simply cut to shape and sealed. This causes the inevitabl. Best to glass over the top of the transom with an epoxy laminate before it can go wrong.
    Some years ago, I replaced the gunwales, Brest book, and quarter knees. The Gavin’s provided the parts. As usual, I glued the pieces together instead screwing it together.
    SHC
    I've already come up with a work plan for the transom. There is a little delam on the interior but the wood is solid and the delam is not deep. The extreme starboard corner of the transom is a bit soft, just a small spot. I'm going to dig it out and fill. Then, wrap the top in f/b tape. Probably paint to keep the UV damage down on the epoxy.

I find people overpower these little boats. On the3 Island we ran 6 hp Evercrudes for years. These would make the boat plane fast enough to get busted by the Harbor cop, but probably never over 10 knots. I had a long shaft 15 when I bought the 14, so lived with that until it died. I thought this was too much power and wasn't happy letting the kids loose with it. These boats weren't designed to go 20+ knots and can trip on themselves even in fairly flat water.
    I re-powered with a 4 stroke 9.8 and this is about right. 4 strokes with electronic ignition are so much nicer than the 2 cycles of my youth. Althoughj I did learn everything I know about getting an engine to run while hanging over the stern and drifting out to sea on a cold day.
    SHC

i only just drove past the small shop where they still build these near the rhode island/mass border..

there is one on craigslist right now near Philly that seems like a very square deal,
    boat, motor, and nice trailer package.
    might be flying under the radar because of the vague ad title and description:

https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...119181863.html

I've always admired these boats.

Quick question: How would one of the smaller ones (12 or 14 feet) work as a tender towed behind a 30 foot sailboat? Would the flat bottom work, or would towing it be a disaster?

Thanks.

Badly.
    It will slow you down considerably and hasnít the directional stability to tow in an orderly way. Itíll slew all over the place.
    Leave it on the mooring.

Thanks. So something with a v shaped hull would make a better dinghy (for towing)?

For towing behind a 30 ft. boat, it has to be small and light, under 125 lbs. Light weight and a slippery shape will make it easy to tow and being small enough to get on deck will be essential is you do passages of any length. Prams are more compact for a given capacity. Iíd start looking at 8 ft. v bottom plywood prams as a starting point.

I have a 16' Sturdee, a '77 I believe (would have to look at the paper work), freshly rebuilt, if you're interested. Early 80s Mercury XD25 ("extreme duty"). In W. MA, galv trailer in good shape. Not a superficial touch-up, totally re-done.
    Dave
    Last edited by earling2; 06-19-2020 at 05:05 PM.

Hi is your Sturdee still available?

My Dad has owned one of these for many years and really likes it, he even volunteers at their stand sometimes at boat shows in New England. The story of the company is neat, is was essentially a one-man hull shop for decades with outside employees brought in to do the electrical, steering, engines, etc. When Ernie Gavin died, his daughter and granddaughter (who’d been helping out as Ernie got older) decided to keep the shop going. Mom runs the business and keeps the books, daughter does all the glass work, wonderful to see something like that live on another generation. That’s my Dad, brother, and nieces in the one with the red strake on the company site.

298EE82D-F1DA-4600-9D0D-07F00F3FDDFC.jpg
    Matthew Long
    Bolger fan (Brick, Yellow Leaf, June Bug, Tortoise and half a Teal)
    Dreaming of a small cruiser from Atkin, Bolger, Buehler or Parker
    www.cluttonfred.info (I also like homebuilt airplanes!)

The rules of this forum discourage overt commercial activity.
    Have your conversation by PM.