Thread: Indian class 21

Default Indian class 21

Hi !
    I´m interesting in the Alden boat Indian Class 21 ft. I tried to find in Internet something about building the Indian, but dont find nothing.
    Will there be someone in the Forum that have build one?
    Enrique Bruna L.

Default Re: Indian class 21

There are a number of variations on the Indian design. The original 1921 design is the Massachusetts Bay Indian. The Alden plans may now be at MIT. There have been a few Indians built by people on the forum, based on those plans but not necessarily built as designed. I have a copy of the plans, both the original gaff rig and the Marconi rig that may have been the only one ever used in the old class. I have sailed an Indian, with one of the all time great Indian sailors. It is a great sailing boat.

The Alden plans are at MIT Museum, the custodian for them after Alden's firm closed: http://www.aldendesigns.com/

as well as through Wooden Boat: https://www.woodenboatstore.com/coll...aysailer-plans

The Wooden Boat source might be more reliable due to COVID-19, nevermind that the MIT Museum was in the process of moving into a new building.

As Thad said, there are several versions. My grandfather was the Mass Bay Indian interclub champion skipper in the inaugural year for the class in 1927 (I just learned that a few weeks ago) in Cronin's Gosling (South Boston YC). He later built from Alden Indian design #148, and was the class measurer for the Mass Bay Indians when he stopped competing in them (he had moved into Mass Bay 18s). #148 is a centerboard (CB) lapstrake design using a depth-tapering skeg that leads gradually into a vertical-shaft rudder. Another variation was #293 using a full keel, 9" longer and 3'10" draft (up from 1'6"). A third version was #398 for the Nantucket Indians -- I have read that these were carvel-planked but were otherwise dimensionally the same and also used a CB.

Gaff-rigging on "new" Indian builds were probably extinct by 1927. I know my grandfather (and dad) built spars for Indians but I don't recall them ever working on a gaff design. It was always Marconi. My dad also reminded me that spar-building was "not fun" especially when doing the job as a teenager and working for his perfectionist father. I am endlessly amused by that comment.

Speaking of Indians I ran into INDIAN SUMMER a few weeks ago in Connecticut. Anyone know her story?

IMG_20200622_194937.jpg

https://www.woodenboat.com/register-.../indian-summer

It has sail #46 and was built in 1934 and obviously rebuilt, but I think the name Indian Summer is more contemporary.

Commenting on my own post, but with new-old info, Mass Bay Indian Marconi #46 was called the Jolly Roger, owner Edwin Siegler in 1937 when it first appears on the Mass Bay Indian racing scene. Based on the sail number #46, and those around it (like #49 Suzi, of George Scigliano also from 1937), it seems very likely that Jolly Roger was a late 1936 or early 1937 build.