Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 24' "viking" longship

Default Re: 24' "viking" longship

Quote Originally Posted by luckystrike118 View Post
    Quality of materials is the next thing. You will not find the quality of woods that are nessesary to build a viking ship for reasonable prices.

But with a little training, marine plywood, Epoxy and a good plan a amateur boatbuilder can build a boat without problems.

Have fun, Michel
    I disagree. Good boat skinning larch and oak can be sourced in the UK. The US where Eciton lives is awash with timber.
    However, the biggest problem and confusing advice in this thread is what design to use for an authentic 10thC Scandinavian hull form.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

thanks all for the good info. lots of things got back burnered this past year but i am again thinking along these lines.

Now. lets say, for arguments sake that i have access to a bandsaw woodmill that can cut up to 22'' wide log and also to lots of pine. Are there any good instruction sites for making something similar to my aim?

from the photos i have been seeing and what i have read it mostly appears that quartersawn oak is preferred for these style boats. why is it that oak is shunned with other types of boat building like strip canoes etc?

i am a fairly experienced woodworker and have access to a lot of tools and currently a fair amount of free time... i am seriously thinking of giving it a shot if i can find a good instruction manual.

For strip building people seem to want light, rot resistant woods like cedars as they'll ultimately just be a core for a couple of layers of light fiberglass. Oak would work, but would add significantly to the weight of what is usually intended to be a very lightweight monocoque construction.

Here is one, again the ends are not all tucked up like the old ones. But an option,

https://www.selway-fisher.com/DoubleEs.htm

D67F6F7E-A651-4DFC-A350-9D7B511911AE.jpeg
    "Yeah, well, that's just, like your opinion man"
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Here is one, again the ends are not all tucked up like the old ones. But an option,

https://www.selway-fisher.com/DoubleEs.htm

D67F6F7E-A651-4DFC-A350-9D7B511911AE.jpeg
    Good shout. Not all the old ones had their ends tucked up. Those with winged stems carved from the solid did not need excessively high stems.

oh. now that one i really like. good call.

selway faering.jpg

come on. it'd be fun
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Eciton; 01-23-2021 at 06:53 PM.

With that rudder it looks more like a miniature birlinn.

Maybe Iain Oughtred has one in his "if only someone would ask" file.
    Await dreams, loves, life; | There is always tomorrow. | Until there is not.

Grieving love unsaid. | Tomorrow will fail someday. | Tell them today, OK?

To learn most of the techniques to build a traditional big Faering you could start building a Norwegian Pram. Simon Watts drew up the plans for a 11'6" pram and wrote a 30 page booklet on constuction. It is written with the novice in mind. The cost is 30 dollar. He advises to use Douglas for planking and oak for construction.
    The problem with most drawings of Viking boats it imo that they are drawn to show various details of a boat. It is a bit like a French cookbook: You will not find exact step-for-step instructions, it is meant a kind of reminder for experienced cooks of how about it is done. Thats where Julia Child comes in. But the best way is to go to a Boatbuilding School or to apprentice. Frank
    www.oarandsail.nl

There are lots of Youtubes showing how it is done. The modern Norwegian builds are exactly the same with the exception to having access to saws.

youtube is invaluable for a lot of things that previously were only in books. i am thankful for it everytime i start a project. but as you note "Anyone can post anything on the web."

so locally i have access to only Okume or Fir marine ply. Okume is only about 10% more than Fir and considerably less heavy. Is it durable enough? I understand both would require glassing and epoxy (although not according to the salesman i spoke to for pricing)
    Last edited by Eciton; 01-25-2021 at 02:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eciton View Post
    youtube is invaluable for a lot of things that previously were only in books. i am thankful for it everytime i start a project.

so locally i have access to only Okume or Fir marine ply. Okume is only about 10% more than Fir and considerably less heavy. Is it durable enough? I understand both would require glassing and epoxy (although not according to the salesman i spoke to for pricing)
    Marine grade ply was in use for decades before epoxy was developed. Folk just used good quality marine paint.

from reading (again, anyone can post anything) i was under the understanding that marine ply quality has decreased since the decades you are perhaps speaking of. I know building ply certainly has. i used to be able to get a sheet of 1/4'' ply that was actually flat.

If you might be interested in a longer ship there is the Bolger design 572.
    38 feet, plywood lapstrake construction. She is shown in his book Boats With an Open Mind.
    I always get a kick looking at that design.

much as that would put a grin on my face the lake we boat at has a 28ft limit.

plus i'd need a crew. and my sons are too small yet to row.

Nice rendering, I see from your other thread that you have discovered how friendly and easy Paul Fisher is to work with.
    -The Dude-

any idea how many gallons of epoxy and yards of glass something like this boat would take if done in stitch and glue ply?

any idea how many gallons of epoxy and yards of glass something like this boat would take if done in stitch and glue ply?
    Just enough, or if you have to ask you can’t afford it.

But seriously, yes you would need to really consider the costs. Epoxy is best purchased in big amounts. Its actually not too expensive, plywood is.
    -The Dude-

Keep an eye on Chesapeake Light Craft which is kitting out the Gilselenge ( Wrong spelling) boat.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Yards of glass, can be figured by the square footage of the outside of the boat.

hardware, paint, and sails really add up too.
    -The Dude-

Quote Originally Posted by Matt young View Post
    Nice rendering, I see from your other thread that you have discovered how friendly and easy Paul Fisher is to work with.
    First approximation, the same area as the ply that she needs. Times the glassing thickness spec.

Have you seen the Draken harald hårfagre test boats? These were built as research/preparation for building a large, authentic viking ship. Perhaps the builders are willing to share plans?

Tad Roberts has some free plans for a 24 foot row/sail boat called Tern on his website. It's not a viking ship but is a traditional 24ft open boat. There was an article in woodenboat magazine a while back about some kids who built one and went on a voyage, might be worth a read.

p4090074.jpg

I'm sure you've seen the Gislinge Boat Open Source project, but just in case: https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en...source-project
    This is the boat that John Harris at CLC is working to adapt to his "Lapstitch" for stitch and glue. If I were younger I'd be all over it! https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/.../gislinge.html
    Last edited by Hugh MacD; 01-30-2021 at 04:15 PM.

yes, thank you. i spoke to them about it last year but they werent sure they were going to build a 100% one yet.

I do like the one Paul has partially because its has a good bit more beam to it (7.5ft vs 5ft) and the potential to carry more people. plus as untraditional as it is i like the trunk for a motor. i just need to decide what to build it in. solid wood or ply.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    I'm sure you've seen the Gislinge Boat Open Source project, but just in case: https://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/en...source-project
    This is the boat that John Harris at CLC is working to adapt to his "Lapstitch" for stitch and glue. If I were younger I'd be all over it! https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/.../gislinge.html
    Talked with John in the past few months. Project at CLC is going ahead. Plan is to have prototype ready for testing early summer. At 5 foot beam it will be readily trailerable, but 800 pound capacity is about what her crew would be.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

that is interesting with the lapstitch method. it has a classic look to it. the model he made didnt get a glassing over the plywood, i assume the full one wouldnt either since it has the laps and glass doesnt do that well.

I get a crazy amount of differing info the more i read. Some builders that have been around way longer than I say that marine ply needs no epoxy while others of the same era say without glass and epoxy modern marine ply will rot in a couple years.

its frustrating

i have access to marine fir ply and okume within an hours drive. would one be better than the other, they are very similar in price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Fuller View Post
    Talked with John in the past few months. Project at CLC is going ahead. Plan is to have prototype ready for testing early summer. At 5 foot beam it will be readily trailerable, but 800 pound capacity is about what her crew would be.
    Skinny and quick. Peerie Maa is 5' beam on 18' over the stems.

I would go for the okume ply it's lighter and does not need to be fiberglassed over. It would not hurt to fiberglass the bottom for abrasion protection though. The fir ply should be glassed to keep it from checking.
    "I see!" said the blind man who picked up his hammer and saw.

I'm building a 25 ft viking ship from white oak. I've got the keel done, and two strakes per side done. I'd have to say I'm a primitive boat builder I am using epoxy and a steam generator though. I don't have a formal plan - built a model & went from there. A local farmer had a large white oak that was hit by lightning, and a neighbor took down 3 trees, so that got me started with materials. I've been working on it for 3 years, with one year off to help get my grandson off to a good start. I'm doing it outside, and here in Minnesota / USA that means I have 4 - 5 months that have the right temperatures for epoxy. I told the younger generation that it will be ale powered, which spiked some interest! Bob

Okoume is no rot resistant. You MUST keep up the paint film, store it dry and clean, etc.

Much smaller, I built a 12 foot Okoume skiff 10 years ago. It is stored outside. It is not glassed. No rot yet.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Visit Roskilde, neat Copenhagen, there they are building new longships with original tools, materials, and techniques. You can even go for a sail on one in the bay. Very popular and easy to get to; also a museum and restaurant.

Travels with Wgrabow: May 2019

How about some pics, Bob? Sounds interesting - build thread?