Page 22 of 139 FirstFirst ... 122122233272122 ... LastLast

Thread: Novel Coronavirus

300,000,000 people. Only 1,000,000 dead? Seems conservative.

Sent from my CPH1851 using Tapatalk

Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

I'm a bit tired of saying good luck, but that applies to all of us this time.

Default Re: Wuhan Coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Plenty of diseases come from domestic animals too. Bird flu, swine flu, mad cow, many more.

At any rate, I just learned that the one case in america is just a few miles from where I sit and the patient has been traipsing about the neighborhood this week.

I think I'll go wash my hands for good measure...
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    maybe wear a surgical mask?
    And a St Christopher.

Katie Porter was relentless with the CDC director yesterday. This isn’t the full questioning video but a summary:

Australian MP Peter Dutton has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. He met Ivanka Trump and AG Barr 6 days ago.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Australian MP Peter Dutton has just been diagnosed with COVID-19. He met Ivanka Trump and AG Barr 6 days ago.

No one here is feeling sorry for him. Not a very compassionate person.
    be modest, and be proud of it.

Yesterday, our Glorious Leader once again blamed Obama for the poor response to the virus. Wonderful way to lead... blame others.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    No one here is feeling sorry for him. Not a very compassionate person.
    for getting the virus? Or for having to meet those miserable excuses for human beings?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Yesterday, our Glorious Leader once again blamed Obama for the poor response to the virus. Wonderful way to lead... blame others.
    There are a few factors for the difference in responses, said Dr. Rob Davidson, an emergency room doctor and executive director of the Committee to Protect Medicare.

"The public health infrastructure and the response to outbreaks and the National Security Council have been gutted by this administration," Davidson said.

Two years ago, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention stopped funding epidemic prevention activities in 39 countries, including China, after the Trump administration refused to reallocate money to a program that started during the government's response to the Ebola outbreak in 2014.

At that time, former CDC director Dr. Tom Frieden said the move "would significantly increase the chance an epidemic will spread without our knowledge and endanger lives in our country and around the world."

When will we start holding two scoops accountable for his lying?
    “Retiring feels like death of self, but I'm looking forward to the rebirth - The opportunity to re-imagine my purpose.”

Michael Bennett

It finally reached Alabama - as in the first *confirmed* case.

https://www.al.com/news/2020/03/alab...announces.html
    Will

Reports are coming out that our science-denier-in-chief, Bolsonaro, just tested positive.

Word is he caught it at Mar-a-Lago.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones
    "We must put politics aside, stop the partisanship, and unify together as one nation and one family." -- Donald F. Trump, 03/11/20

I would laugh if it was not so outrageously irresponsible and deadly.
    I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

We've placed protocol in place for pt's 'possibly' ill with this - don't walk in the office unannounced - we will mask/glove outside, using a special area for seeing them. And more than a few a playing us - avoiding our protocols. I just learned a pt I talked with last nite (on call) did not follow protocol to go to an after-hours clinic, but walked in this AM, claiming I had told her to do so. Makes it tough!

Our University system has closed campus, going on-line for spring semester. All sporting events/concerts etc. canceled.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Went to the supermarket this morning to find the shelves stripped bare of meat, chicken, water and all sorts of other stuff. Crazy.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

And we have confirmed community spread in Brazil, in Rio and SP. Here we go too...

Quote Originally Posted by George. View Post
    Reports are coming out that our science-denier-in-chief, Bolsonaro, just tested positive.

Word is he caught it at Mar-a-Lago.
    I heard that yesterday- is there actually a reliable source for this?

I am impressed by the measures being adopted right after the first confirmed community spread: all schools, cinemas closed, all crowd events cancelled, the entire workforce to adopt staggered working hours to reduce crowding in public transport, anyone with symptoms ordered to stay home, powers of quarantine and compulsory testing given to the city governments... and we only have 150 cases in the country, and no deaths.

Of course all tests and treatments are free, and all workers in Brazil have unlimited paid sick leave.

Who knows, maybe we learned from Italy down here. Mitigate early, mitigate hard. Don't wait until people start dying. Our Health Minister tells people to expect about 20 weeks of very hard times in the effort to flatten the curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Grandpa View Post
    I heard that yesterday- is there actually a reliable source for this?
    Well, I saw it on Fox News, and figured it must be true - they cited "sources in the White House" and Bolsonaro's own son as sources. And it doesn't align with their politics, so in theory they had no reason to lie.

But it turns out to be false, and Bozo's son, a senator, is now twitting like mad that this proves the media spreads fake news about CV. Fox was apparently played by him:

https://twitter.com/johnrobertsFox/s...90114768191493

Lesson learned. I'll never again trust either Fox or the Bozo clan.

Should we go Chinese on the nursing homes?

My mother's nursing home in Norwalk, Ohio announced a prohibition on all visits to residents until further notice this past Wednesday afternoon. Norwalk Memorial Home is affiliated with Fisher-Titus Hospital in that city. In fact, the nursing home is physically connected with the hospital. I visited with my mother this past Saturday, Sunday and Monday, thank goodness. When we departed I told her I planned to see her again on May 1st and that we would watch the Kentucky Derby together IF I was still allowed to visit her in 6 weeks. If not I promised to visit her as soon as allowed.

Is a complete prohibition on visitors "going Chinese?"
    I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.

We have 68 confirmed cases, (or ~500 total if assessing as in link from #737), yet we are:

- closing borders to all foreigners and enforce two week quarantine on returning Poles
    - all international flights and trains are cancelled for at least two weeks
    - shutting down restaurants (they are still allowed to do deliveries), clubs etc
    - shutting down malls except for groceries, pharmacies and cosmetics
    - people are not allowed to meet in groups bigger than 50
    - shutting down courts, tax offices and other public institutions
    - introducing minimum 1m distance between customers waiting in lines
    - enforcing public transport passengers to keep away from bus drivers
    - shutting down whole education system for at least two weeks

Administrative authorities learning from others and acting proactively is something new. Quite a nice feeling.
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

All of this reinforces my opinion that there's potentially more to this virus that we are being told.
    I expect to get it eventually, and if I'm lucky I may survive. But medical help will be thin on the ground by say June.

Ohio has announced 13 Corvid-19 cases as of 2 hours ago. Yesterday Governor Mike DeWine said his heath experts told him that there are likely at least 100,000 people infected in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    My mother's nursing home in Norwalk, Ohio announced a prohibition on all visits to residents until further notice this past Wednesday afternoon. Norwalk Memorial Home is affiliated with Fisher-Titus Hospital in that city. In fact, the nursing home is physically connected with the hospital. I visited with my mother this past Saturday, Sunday and Monday, thank goodness. When we departed I told her I planned to see her again on May 1st and that we would watch the Kentucky Derby together IF I was still allowed to visit her in 6 weeks. If not I promised to visit her as soon as allowed.

Is a complete prohibition on visitors "going Chinese?"
    The Chinese welded doors shut so I'd say, yes, completely locked out.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    All of this reinforces my opinion that there's potentially more to this virus that we are being told.
    I expect to get it eventually, and if I'm lucky I may survive. But medical help will be thin on the ground by say June.

For 100% certain there are more cases, many will go unnoticed forever. especially among homeless, poor, rural, and the chicken noodle soup with ginger ale ( self care ) population.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp
    I expect to get it eventually, and if I'm lucky I may survive.
    Yesterday while listening to ESPN WKNR 850 sports radio in Cleveland, I heard Dr. Keith Armitage from University Hospitals interviewed for 15 minutes. Dr. Armitage is the medical director of the Roe Green Center for Travel Medicine and Global Health. Dr. Armitage said we could see as many as 100,000,000 Americans infected if effective action is not taken in short order. "And if the mortality rate is as low as four, five percent, that is horrific."

I think a mortality rate of 2% would be horrific. Dr. Armitage made me really sit up and take notice.

With numbers like that a majority will not be able to access any health care and many more will die.

(I'm just listening to a piece on the wildlife trade for consumption by the wealthy. Billions of dollars being made.
    Do you believe in karma?)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    Yesterday while listening to ESPN WKNR 850 sports radio in Cleveland, I heard Dr. Keith Armitage from University Hospitals interviewed for 15 minutes. Dr. Armitage is the medical director of the Roe Green Center for Travel Medicine and Global Health. Dr. Armitage said we could see as many as 100,000,000 Americans infected if effective action is not taken in short order. "And if the mortality rate is as low as four, five percent, that is horrific."

I think a mortality rate of 2% would be horrific. Dr. Armitage made me really sit up and take notice.
    But what is effective action? We cant quarantine the virus. We cant have a vaccination for almost 2 years, and the test kits are useless, I dont know why people fuss over them.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    But what is effective action? We cant quarantine the virus. We cant have a vaccination for almost 2 years, and the test kits are useless, I dont know why people fuss over them.
    Useless?
    May be you should look for a different supplier?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by sleek
    Bite the bullet and take the economic losses immediately. Shut everything down for a month. Close down everything but grocery stores and pharmacies. I suspect that would be characterized as "the Chinese solution." Also Italy's solution as of this moment. Italy waited too long. Will the U.S.A.? I think so.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-13-2020 at 04:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    But medical help will be thin on the ground by say June.
    I don't think so, actually. If we see a rapid rise in cases - a high curve - then by June the vast majority of the first, second, and even third waves will have recovered. And if we don't see a rapid rise - if we succeed in flattening the curve - medical personnel will not see the drastic impacts they have seen in, say, Italy. We'll see something more like China-outside-Wuhan: a heavy load, but a manageable one.

What are you doing about it?

Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    Test kits are useful if you want to determine whether people actually, you know, HAVE THE FREAKING DISEASE. Which is in turn important to tracing their contacts and having them self-isolate until it is known whether THEY HAVE IT AS WELL. Christ on a crutch, how frimping stupid do you have to be to not get that?!

What are you doing about it?

The availability of test kits in the U.S.A.?"

"That's a failing. Let's admit it." -- Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases 03/12/20

That was yesterday in testimony before Congress. But not to worry. Donald F. Trump just spoke to the nation and things are all better today.

Meanwhile Covid-19 virus transmission in the U.S.A. continues exponentially.
    Last edited by Tom Montgomery; 03-13-2020 at 04:18 PM.

Scientifically I will be interested in what various societies do about necessary prioritisation of treatments, given the Italian response. Pragmatism vs sentiment. The history of epidemics is a top down, wealth vs poverty response. Meaning those in power get the best of the treatments precisely because they are in power.