Page 121 of 137 FirstFirst ... 2171111120121122131 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,235 of 4763

Thread: Novel Coronavirus

  1. #4201
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,566

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    It was 400K that was panic porn.
    In good time ERGR, patience. The virus is in charge not it's hosts.

  2. #4202
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,680

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    I wonder if people would act differently if the virus fatality age chart was reversed with infants and children being hit worse than the elderly.

  3. #4203
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    596

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    I would react differently. Most of us anticipate to die some day from something that nowadays often is Covid. To see our grand children die would be much worse.
    /Erik

  4. #4204
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,744

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Of course people would react differently. As they should. How can our actions not be based on the reality of the threat? Are you suggesting we should ignore evidence as to who is at risk?

  5. #4205
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    downward bound
    Posts
    7,603

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by ERGR View Post
    It was 400K that was panic porn.
    man these goalposts keep moving. The worst case predictions (like 400k) rely on nobody doing anything different, which seems to be inaccurate, but who knows. Our rationalists will rationalize their reality and pretend they are objective

  6. #4206
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    45,373

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    You're soon going to reach the staggering figure of 200k positive diagnoses every day. It's fairly unavoidable now, considering that nobody in the places where the rates are highest is doing anything which will actually curb that increase.

    That isn't "panic porn." Nor is the inexorable conclusion that a proportion of those cases will need hospitalization, a proportion of those hospitalized will need ICU care, and a proportion of those in ICU will die. And the death stats will increase to the degree that the ICU care (or the medical staff to operate ICUs) is insufficient to meet the demand. That's already happening in some hospitals, and the flood hasn't crested yet.

    400k by the end of the calendar year isn't "panic porn"; it's slightly more severe than what the present trend could suggest. It's virtually a certainty that you'll reach 300k dead by Christmas, after all. And the death rate is growing now, not shrinking. Poised to grow faster as all that increasing # of folks now getting sick work their way through the course of the disease.

    The only thing that will halt the pandemic now is mass vaccination, and that will only work for those who consent to take the vaccine. Ahem.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  7. #4207
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    17,819

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    You're soon going to reach the staggering figure of 200k positive diagnoses every day. It's fairly unavoidable now, considering that nobody in the places where the rates are highest is doing anything which will actually curb that increase.

    That isn't "panic porn." Nor is the inexorable conclusion that a proportion of those cases will need hospitalization, a proportion of those hospitalized will need ICU care, and a proportion of those in ICU will die. And the death stats will increase to the degree that the ICU care (or the medical staff to operate ICUs) is insufficient to meet the demand. That's already happening in some hospitals, and the flood hasn't crested yet.

    400k by the end of the calendar year isn't "panic porn"; it's slightly more severe than what the present trend could suggest. It's virtually a certainty that you'll reach 300k dead by Christmas, after all. And the death rate is growing now, not shrinking. Poised to grow faster as all that increasing # of folks now getting sick work their way through the course of the disease.

    The only thing that will halt the pandemic now is mass vaccination, and that will only work for those who consent to take the vaccine. Ahem.
    Yeah. I don't see panic porn. I do see appalling spread of the disease and little action to curb the spread - and virtually no action from the federal government.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward



  8. #4208
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,680

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Of course people would react differently. As they should. How can our actions not be based on the reality of the threat? Are you suggesting we should ignore evidence as to who is at risk?
    Our actions are often contrary to a threat. AIDS only hits sinners. Covid only hits old people with co morbidities. Hey lets have political and motorcycle rallies that ignore the evidence of who is at risk.

    US has all the resources to limit the losses from day one and the administration walked away politicizing and dismissing the threat. I bet if infants and toddlers were primarily at risk the national response wouldn’t be that much different given the same dynamic of dismissal and denial.

    I mean peb, do you think Trump would see reality differently if he wasn’t personally at risk?

  9. #4209
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,118

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    The US is now at over 2000 deaths/day, and still rising. New infections are also still spiking, so expect the death rate to keep rising for a month.

    2000+/day with 41 days left in 2020 and the US already at 258,000 dead. Do the math and then tell me about "panic porn".

  10. #4210
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,744

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Our actions are often contrary to a threat. AIDS only hits sinners. Covid only hits old people with co morbidities. Hey lets have political and motorcycle rallies that ignore the evidence of who is at risk.

    US has all the resources to limit the losses from day one and the administration walked away politicizing and dismissing the threat. I bet if infants and toddlers were primarily at risk the national response wouldn’t be that much different given the same dynamic of dismissal and denial.

    I mean peb, do you think Trump would see reality differently if he wasn’t personally at risk?
    I have no idea on how to make any type of intelligent guess on how Trump sees reality.

  11. #4211
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Fredericton, New Brunswick
    Posts
    45,373

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Sure, we can all make at least one intelligent guess. Trump sees reality through a lens which focuses narrowly on his own interest, his own grievances, his own emotions. He is the center of his reality, and has demonstrated that in pretty much every aspect of his long, very public life.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

  12. #4212
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    13,744

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Sure, we can all make at least one intelligent guess. Trump sees reality through a lens which focuses narrowly on his own interest, his own grievances, his own emotions. He is the center of his reality, and has demonstrated that in pretty much every aspect of his long, very public life.
    I stand corrected.

  13. #4213
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,566

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Twelve million notified cases in the America, the last million in the last 6 days.

    Good Luck.

  14. #4214
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    21,680

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    My (long distance) partner is in hospital because if it. she has an embolism and is not critical. I'm still worried though.

  15. #4215
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,450

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Spoke to my daughter in Arizona yesterday, looks like a brother in law may have it.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  16. #4216
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Deepest Darkest Wales
    Posts
    23,541

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    My (long distance) partner is in hospital because if it. she has an embolism and is not critical. I'm still worried though.
    Ouch - that's stressful.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

  17. #4217
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,229

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    My (long distance) partner is in hospital because if it. she has an embolism and is not critical. I'm still worried though.
    Hope it goes OK!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  18. #4218
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    the hills
    Posts
    60,680

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    I stand corrected.
    Ok so “people” in general might act differently but with a president who diminished and denied the severity of the pandemic early on stifling any coordinated national response and politicizing simple things like masks there would still be no coordinated national response from the White House. This is why I asked if Trump would do anything differently. I mean it’s going to hit a tiny percentage of the population, but people with money will get the best care. QED It is what it is. And that’s effing ok with 71 million people who voted for him.

  19. #4219
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,598

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    When the G20 yesterday turned to making decisions about ways to assist poor countries with accessing vaccines, President Trump went off to play golf.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  20. #4220
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    14,073

    Default

    My niece tested positive. Apparently a symptomatic. Another 10 days in quarantine and a negative brain swab and she's supposed to be good.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  21. #4221
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    14,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    When the G20 yesterday turned to making decisions about ways to assist poor countries with accessing vaccines, President Trump went off to play golf.

    A man's gotta recreate!

    Kinda boggles the mind doesn't it, though?
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  22. #4222
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    24,598

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    It does. A person with no sense of responsibility at all.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  23. #4223
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,450

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Spoke to my daughter in Arizona yesterday, looks like a brother in law may have it.
    Heard today my daughter may have it. The brother in law has been staying with them.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  24. #4224
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,566

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Hope not Gary, but if so a full recovery.

  25. #4225
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hills of Vermont, USA
    Posts
    39,229

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    When the G20 yesterday turned to making decisions about ways to assist poor countries with accessing vaccines, President Trump went off to play golf.
    Sad & embarrassing to say it, but they probably got more done without him. Trump doesn't care about those ****hole countries!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

  26. #4226
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,450

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Hope not Gary, but if so a full recovery.
    Hopefully find out tomorrow.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  27. #4227
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,566

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Meanwhile in Aus cases continue to be rare and mostly as a result of a returnee in quarantine. And restrictions continue to be lifted.

  28. #4228
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Indian Land, SC, USA
    Posts
    3,293

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    How many 'golf days' is this, so far ?

  29. #4229
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    14,073

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    How many 'golf days' is this, so far ?

    298 since January 20, 2016.

    Figure one golf outing every 4-5 days.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

  30. #4230
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    72,885

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Stanford Faculty Senate Condemns Dr. Scott Atlas Over His Covid-19 Conduct


    Another 'nothing but the best' Trump advisor. What else would we exepect out of the 'Hoover Institute'.

    https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=2cb41646685e
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  31. #4231
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    victoria, australia. (1 address now)
    Posts
    65,566

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Is a Hoover institute doctor like a Philladelphia lawyer………...

  32. #4232
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,118

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine is 90% effective and does not need a deep freeze.

  33. #4233
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Cantão - Brazil
    Posts
    14,118

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus


  34. #4234
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Uki, NSW, Australia
    Posts
    33,450

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    My daughter and 2 grandchildren have mild infections so far. Living in Arizona.
    ​In a world full of wonders, man invented boredom.

  35. #4235
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Seattle, WA USA
    Posts
    14,073

    Default Re: Novel Coronavirus

    Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Is a Hoover institute doctor like a Philladelphia lawyer………...
    No. One of them is competent ��
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •